PDA

View Full Version : Iowa's cottontail rabbit and squirrel seasons open September 1st

Kernel
August 27, 2002, 11:06 PM
Seems kinda early, in southern Wisconsin these seasons open around the middle of October. Conventional wisdom says you don't hunt these rodents until after a good hard frost.

Dang, where's the summer gone?-- Kernel

pawcatch
August 27, 2002, 11:27 PM
Squirrel season in Georgia opened the 15th this month,but rabbit doesn't open till November.Stats say that there are more deer hunters than squirrel hunters in Georgia now,so the six months are needed.

ojibweindian
August 28, 2002, 08:35 AM
Alabama squirrel and rabbit seasons start in October and run through the end of February.

August 28, 2002, 08:42 AM
I was visiting my parents in Ohio last week and I believe I read that their squirrel season opened on Aug. 15. I was thinking that was kind of early also, but I haven't live in Ohio for over 20 years and wasn't a real big squirrel hunter then. If I lived there today, I would be however.

Fuzzy
August 28, 2002, 11:23 PM
Out here in AZ rabbit is open all year. Most people are afraid to eat them in the summer and then that kinda extends all year. I don't generally hunt in the summer, it just too hot. I generally start hunting rabbit right after the first dove season and quit in March when it starts getting too hot.

We have a squirrel season but I'm not sure if we actually have squirrels. We have 'ground squirrels' but those things are barely 3 inches long. I have no idea what you'd do with one if you killed it.

MeekAndMild
August 28, 2002, 11:30 PM
Conventional wisdom says you don't hunt these rodents until after a good hard frost. Yes, they sometimes get a bot fly infestation and it is only after the first frost they are safe to eat. http://botfly.ifas.ufl.edu/index.htm

Southla1
August 29, 2002, 12:08 PM
Squirrel and rabbits open here always on the first Saturday in October.

Deer with bow opens on October 1st.

At one time squirrel and rabbit used to open on October 1st too but the WLF had to change the opening because if it was during the week too many kids were missing school :D.

Squirrels have no problem with the parasites frost or no frost, but some rabbits do. The bigger redfish and drum also have a type of parasite in the bigger ones that go away when the water cools. According to the WLF they are also safe to eat if cooked properly.

They are safe to eat if cooked properly but I pwrsonally will wait till cool weather.

Poodleshooter
August 29, 2002, 02:55 PM
Tularemia anyone?
I'd pass on the bunnies till October.
Besides, early goose season starts soon!

Southla1
August 29, 2002, 03:05 PM
Hey Poodleshooter, how far is it from Charlottesville,VA to Blacksburg, VA?

Man oh man would I love to be in Blacksburg Sunday afternoon at 12:30PM EDT!

Ought to be one hellofa game.................GEAUX TIGERS :)