PDA

View Full Version : Springfield M1A Flash Suppressor Swap

Postman
August 27, 2002, 07:02 AM
I saw my new obsession at the range Sunday.

Someone had a Springfield Scout, with a bird-cage style flash supressor on in place of the brake the rigle comes with. This cut off almost 2 inches from the profile and it looked amazing!

With the brake removed, the 18" barreled Springfield was quieter than my 21" FAL with a brake.

My questions are as follow:

Where do I obtain a bird-cage style flash suppressor for the M1A?

Can I use one designed for the M16/AR15?

Will the diameter be large enough for .308 and will the threads be the same?

Kaylee
August 27, 2002, 09:24 AM
Smith Ent manufactures a vortex for the M14.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/buy/vortex.asp

I've looked about for others, even asking about having them made -- no luck yet. BUT your local smith may be able to redo the threads on an existing AR flash suppressor. You'll lose the front sight block though, of course.

-K

Postman
August 27, 2002, 05:40 PM
Er, why would the front sight block be lost?

Andrew Wyatt
August 27, 2002, 06:20 PM
because the front sight block is part of the flash suppressor.

chiz45
August 27, 2002, 07:23 PM
entreprise arms makes the A2 style FS that you saw. I don't think they have it on their site, but it's about $85. email them and see what they've got.

Sundance
August 27, 2002, 08:37 PM
Springfield has made the Bush model in the past and is now making it again. A Bush rifle is the same size as a Scout but has no Scout scope mount and a flash hider instead of a muzzle brake. You can buy a Bush rifle outright or send your Scout rifle in to SA and they will convert it to Bush specs for a nominal fee. Either way, I too prefer the Bush rifle to the Scout. I just don't like 1) muzzle brakes or 2) scopes on miltary rifles.