PDA

View Full Version : help wanted-opinions on selecting new varmit rifle

IAJack
August 26, 2002, 09:23 PM
Ok, I will try to make this understandable without going to long?

I want to start shooting varmit matches in my local sportsmans club. These are 1-200 yds at most. 10 rds, ten various animal targets of varied points. We are running really lax rules/setups. Most of it is hunter or "stock" class meaning out of the box with minor work like trigger adj. etc.

Right now I have my eye on the Remington 700 VSSF in .223 I like this caliber beacuse it is simple, cheap, not bad performing and you can buy "shelf" match ammo. I know a stock gun won't compare to a true benchrest model in some of the wildcat calibers and handloading, but I cannot afford a BR rifle now.

Personally I think the 700 is about as stable and feature loaded gun out of the box that is still affordable. To start it has a floating barrell , bedded action, fluted, and I have heard is about the most customizable action around? Granted there are some really feature loaded out of the box guns, but again only if one can afford them.

So does anyone have any opinions on the 700 or the bigger question, are there any other "sleeper" brands out there that are as good or better for the money? Yeah I realize alot of stock guns will shoot well and almost all can be worked on, but I am looking for the best reasnably priced platform to start with?

Thanks for any and all opinions

IAJack

Glock4ever
August 26, 2002, 10:31 PM
That you might consider is the Tikka Continental. If you can find one that is... I have one in .243 and she shoots like a champ. The Continental has a freefloated bbl, detachable mag, easily adjustable trigger, and heavy bbl. Definitely an excellent rifle and definitely cheaper than a Remington 700 VSSF. But I really like the 700 as well (as it has the same features and more) depends on whether you want the fluting or not...