View Full Version : Fast decision, then a chase

zook
August 23, 2002, 10:55 PM
Front page story this morning.

http://www.readingeagle.com/re/main/1024653.asp

Store patron takes his gun and the law into his own hands
By Keith Mayer
Reading Eagle

Michael P. Gerth stopped Wednesday night at the Turkey Hill Minit Market in Green Hills just as he does every day for coffee, drinks or food.

But this time was different.

As he pulled up, a clerk ran out yelling that a man with a knife was inside robbing the store.

Gerth said he had about 10 seconds to think.

“Everything happened very quickly,” the 42-year-old Gerth of Brecknock Township said Thursday as he recounted his experience.

Seconds later, David M. Polynone the man police say used a large kitchen knife to rob 14 convenience stores since July 30 strode out, Gerth said.

"I'm licensed to carry (a gun), so I opened the glove box and put it on the seat and said, 'OK, what are we going to do here?' " Gerth said.

Gerth watched Polynone walk across Route 10 toward Interstate 176.

"I wanted to let him get away from the parking lot," Gerth said.

Gerth turned his vehicle around and drove after Polynone, cutting him off on the ramp, he said.

"I jumped out and put the gun on him and said, 'Stop or I'll shoot,' " Gerth said.

Polynone turned and ran up a hill with Gerth in pursuit. When Polynone jumped a fence, Gerth stopped chasing him.

Gerth turned around, drove the wrong way down the ramp and turned into a lane along Route 10, trying to cut off Polynone, he said.

When he did not see Polynone, he turned around, went back up the ramp and saw a pickup truck parked near the embankment.

Kimberly A. Kelly was in the truck, Gerth said.

"She was sitting in the truck ready to go," Gerth said. "She was looking up the hill as if she was waiting for someone."

Gerth said he pulled in front of the truck, got out, drew his weapon and went to the side of the truck and told Kelly to get out.

"She got real excited," he said.

"She pulled out, and I had to get out of her way or I'd get run over," he continued. "I wasn't going to shoot her. I wasn't going to shoot her tires."

Kelly, 30, Blue Ball, Lancaster County, was arrested a short time later in Kenhorst. She was charged as an accomplice in the Green Hills robbery.

Polynone, 35, who resided with Kelly, was arrested Thursday morning in Reading. He was charged in an Aug. 11 robbery in Exeter Township.

Police said Polynone used a large kitchen knife to hold up 14 stores in Berks, Chester, Lancaster, Lebanon and Montgomery counties.

Robeson Police Chief Mark T. Phillips called Gerth's efforts a big help in solving the case.

C.R.Sam
August 23, 2002, 11:02 PM
Very high risk operation.
But this time it worked well.

In a lot of jurisdictions Mr Gerth would do more time than the thieves.

Glad he was in a "good" place.

Sam

PATH
August 23, 2002, 11:11 PM
Sam speaks the truth. In some jurisdictions stopping or chasing bad guys will get you in hot water.

Bruce626
August 23, 2002, 11:27 PM
Not a problem here in Chicago because the bad guys couldn't possibly have a gun here in Mayor ("nobody should have a gun") Daley's handgun free city. Just talk to them and exhibit understanding... that's all you need to do.

zook
August 23, 2002, 11:40 PM
I'm just glad he didn't shoot anybody. Or get shot himself. The BGs could probably have defended themselves legally. In any event, I look forward to reading the letters to the editor.

MikeTx
August 24, 2002, 05:19 AM
Personally I would not intervene. I don't carry a gun to be a public defender. People are responsible for their own defense.

No4Mk1
August 24, 2002, 06:59 AM
I don't carry a gun to be a public defender. People are responsible for their own defense.

You know, I hear that all the time both here and in other forums, but I have to say that generally I disagree. Now, what this guy did was plain dumb, if you ask me. However, if I am in a situation where I feel that another person's life is in immediate danger, I believe that I have an obligation to intervene if possible. (And here in Texas it is legal to use deadly force to defend another. See Chapter 9.32 of the Texas Penal code.)

Thoughts?

HL.

Chief Jones
August 24, 2002, 07:52 AM
The way I understand it (in FL anyway), is that he could've used the firearm to prevent injury to the clerk, but once the guy was out of the store, the rules change. A license to carry is not a license to chase down bad guys. Lucky it worked out well, though....

Woody Jones

hansolo
August 24, 2002, 09:10 AM
I'm movin' to Texas! :cool:

(see one of above posts)

Yesterday I observed a very young gal driving a new top-of-the line Mustang Cobra pulling into a handicapped parking spot while on patrol as Citizen On Patrol in Desert Hot Springs. Part of our duties is giving citations for this violation. The 18-20 year-old girl got out of the 'Stang and sprints into a Supermarket. I proceeded to start writing the citation. I hear, "What the f**K are YOU doin', old man?" -- I'm 52 --. "Writing you a ticket for illegal parking." The girl got in the car, started the HIGH powered Ford motor, spews a few more profanities and burns rubber out of the space, nearly running into a lady with a toddler in-tow. I radio Dispatch with description and plate number(from the citation I was writing). About 5 minutes later, Mustang Sally is seen by DHS Sgt. in his cruiser, hauling a** past the Police Dept.(!) Sgt. gives chase, pulls her over. Gal receives much worse citation/lecture than I tried to deliver. Ah, mis-spent youth!;)

LASur5r+P
August 24, 2002, 10:10 AM
Here in sunny So. California, the Great Free State (except for us gun folks), we wouldn't have that decision because we aren't trusted to have CCW's. So all we can do is be witnesses and use our cell phones.

In all reality though, once the BG emerged from the store, he is no longer threatening anyone so I don't think you can draw down on the man. Nor can you "give chase" to "arrest the BG." Not unless you have been deputized.

Although I applaud the man's actions, in this state, he'd be looking at jail time for being a "good guy."

That's why I'm looking to move when I retire.

12-34hom
August 24, 2002, 10:32 AM
Unless it was a forceable felony, i would not get involved.

I would get on the cell phone to police and make an excellent witness in court if need be.

12-34hom.

El Rojo
August 24, 2002, 01:40 PM
It depends where you are. You might be able to get away with something like that in Kern County, but for one reason only. The public supports those kind of things. In my area, there would be 80-90% of letters supporting the bystanders actions and saying way to go. When the Kern County sheriffs lit up that rapist that kidnapped the two girls recently, it was just one more reason for Kern County residents to praise what kind of law enforcement we have here. We don't like criminals, but we like people who stop them.

I don't know if I would go as far as that guy did. I might use the ole cell phone and call it in, but that is about it. I am in no hurry to shoot someone.

Ben Shepherd
August 24, 2002, 04:22 PM
The way things should go. In a more perfect world.