PDA

View Full Version : Price range for a pre 64 model 94 Winchester

Alex Johnson
August 21, 2002, 11:00 PM
I've been thinking about purchasing a pre 64 Winchester 94 for purposes of refinishing. I'm not concerned too much with the age of the rifle, all I really want is a rifle with relatively undamaged metal with little or no finish left and in good mechanical condition. Before I go shopping I thought it might be a good idea to get an idea for what these guns in the condition I'm talking about should be going for. Would $250-300 be out of line for one of these? I know of one in my area that is a 1947 production model with no finish left but otherwise in fine condition, they are asking $389 for it which seemed a bit steep.

James K
August 21, 2002, 11:44 PM
The plain jane Model 94 carbine (1940-1964) goes for around $150 - 500 depending on condition. Average is around $250.
I think $389 is pretty high for one with no finish; maybe I am out of it, but IMO $150 would be more in line.

Like most guns made in quantity, only those in near perfect condition are collectible, so you will probably increase the value with a good refinish and reblue job.

Of course there are models like the pre-war Model 1894 (note the marking change) rifle, Trapper Carbine and Saddle Ring carbine that bring more.

Jim