PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Pistol comparison

alamo
August 20, 2002, 12:26 PM
Someone asked recently about a size comparion of a P-32 and an Autauga. Kel-Tec has a nice table that compares all the small .32 pocket pistols. Some of the Autauga info. was inaccurate initially, I e-mailed them with info. from the owner's manual and they made some changes. I never went back to the manual and double-checked but I believe it is correct.

Seems like there should a little bit greater difference in the weight of a Seecamp vs. the Autauga though.

http://www.kel-tec.com/serv01.htm

DanP
August 20, 2002, 12:41 PM
Thanks, nice to see those lined up.

As an aside, why would Keltec have just a 5 to 6lbs trigger? That would make me uneasy on a pocket pistol.

alamo
August 20, 2002, 12:47 PM
It is a fairly long pull & feels a bit heavier than that, to me anyway. Doesn't seem to be an issue in practice with most folks. Just have a good holster like a Hedley or other that covers the trigger.

Blackhawk
August 20, 2002, 01:19 PM
I'm surprised that KT's own chart says about the P-32: "Frame polymer composite" when it's made of 7075 aluminum....

alamo
August 20, 2002, 02:06 PM
Ooops! somebody confused the frame with the grip. I'll wait & see if there are any other errors noted and e-mail them.

rhedley
August 20, 2002, 02:22 PM
Have you tried to print the chart? I can't get it on one sheet of paper.

alamo
August 20, 2002, 02:28 PM
Doesn't work for me either. There's probably a way to do it but I don't know how.

hoplophile
August 20, 2002, 05:13 PM
The comparison numbers are not only wrong, they are not even close to being correct. I have all of these guns, a good set of calipers, a scale accurate to .05 of an ounce, and wonder where these numbers are obtained from.

For example, the Seecamp is listed at over 1 inch wide. The gun is about .860 at the widest part, which is the grip. That's a significant difference.

Don't believe what you read. I have yet to see an accurate set of published comparison numbers.

alamo
August 20, 2002, 07:06 PM
I don't know about the Seecamp (I agree though the width has got to be wrong) but I checked the Autauga numbers against the owners manual and they are correct. I checked the NAA Guardian website and got the folllowing:

NAA Arms___________KT website

L - 4.4 ____________ 4.37
H - 3.3_____________3.37
W - 0.85____________0.85

Trigger pull 13 lbs._____13 lbs.

Weight unloaded - NAA 13.5 ounces
Weight LOADED - KT website 15.2 ounces

Those are pretty close. NAA probably rounded theirs some one way or the other.

hoplophile
August 21, 2002, 07:39 AM
The weights I get, taken with a digital .05 ounce accurate Detecto scale, show a weight of 9.8 oz loaded (8) for the Kel-Tec and 15.55 oz. loaded (7) for the Guardian. The rounds used are Silvertips.

The Autauga weighs in 1/2 ounce heavier than the chart shows, at 14.05 oz. loaded. The Seecamp comes in a 1/4 oz. heavier at 13.25. All the guns I weighed are 1/4 to 1/2 oz. heavier than what the chart shows. At least the bias is consistent. (I'm pretty sure my scale is accurate.)

The trigger pulls seem awful low to me. Depending on where the measuring instrument is attached, and how the instrument is applied, a pivoted trigger can give pull measurements ranging from mid double digits to low single digits. The shooters who report twenty pound plus D-A trigger pulls on some pistols are obviously deluded, since few folks could do finger curls with a twenty pound weight hanging off one of their fingers. Those weights are measured very close to the pivot point, where the finger does not apply its main pressure during the pull. The same might apply to the light pulls, with the measurement far from the pivot point. The pull weights given just seem 2 or 3 pounds light to me. It's a hard thing to measure on a pivot trigger gun. (With a sliding trigger, it'd be easy, just like weighing a fish.)

hoplophile
August 21, 2002, 09:56 AM
Thanks.:)

CWL
August 21, 2002, 11:26 AM
Is the NAA Guardian trugger pull REALLY 13lbs?

That's the same as the squeezecocker on my P7s!

What kinda accuracy does it get with that kinda pull on such a small pistol?

TreeSquid
November 27, 2002, 11:24 PM
Anyone who can say they have multiple p7's earns a kick in the nuts from me ;)
I could barely afford my CZ 75 PCR. :P :)

johnwill
November 28, 2002, 10:37 AM
Have you tried to print the chart? I can't get it on one sheet of paper.
Mark the table by itself and paste it into a Word document. Print in landscape mode and it fits on a single sheet.

Alex Johnson
November 29, 2002, 04:57 PM
The NAA I just put on layaway seems to have a pretty smooth trigger pull on it. I don't know if it is 13lbs or not, but it didn't seem to bad in the store when I tried it out. I suppose this could have been worked on though since it is a used gun and I have never handled another guardian before.

mini14jac
December 2, 2002, 08:18 AM
Is the NAA Guardian trugger pull REALLY 13lbs?

One of the first Guardian reviews stated "It has a trigger pull that only a lawyer could love."

I never had a trigger scale, but I could never get used to mine.
(Bought within 1 year of introduction.)
It was awful!:(
As a result, I couldn't hit a barn, unless I was in it. :rolleyes:

Sold it to a friend that already had one, and wanted another. :confused:

wadcutter
December 2, 2002, 09:10 AM
Hello. My Guardian had a very heavy trigger pull and was not very reliable. I got rid of it.

Wadcutter

JGGonzalez
December 3, 2002, 05:04 PM
My Guardians (G32 and G380) were a little rough and heavy out of the box, but I put a heavy coat of oil on the trigger mechanisms and dry fired them a lot (with snap caps). I would dry fire them a few minutes wipe off the old oil, add fresh oil, and dry fire some more. After that, the trigger pulls were noticeably lighter and smoother.

kahrma
December 3, 2002, 05:54 PM
I have a kel-tec P-32 and believe it to have about a 5-6lb trigger. I really like the trigger on the little p-32, I bet they will make it about 15-20lbs once they get sued because some jack-ass shot his nuts off after putting his pistol in the same pocket as his keys.

I can really shoot this p-32 well, I can hit a pop can every time at 10 yards. That is VERY impressive to me for such a small gun and what it was really intended to do.

If you live in the country, you could shoot pests at reasonable ranges (say inside a barn) with this little wonder. I think their quality control is a joke but once you send your new gun back to the factory a few times it should work. If you have the patience for this, you will have a gun like no other on the market right now. There will be more soon judging from KT's success.

Chan Bates
December 3, 2002, 07:03 PM
My Lyman digital trigger pull gauge puts my P-32's pull at 5.5 lbs., and while very smooth, it is long enough that this relatively light DA pull is not unsafe, IMO.

This pull increases accuracy because I do not have to torque the gun in my hand to get it to fire like with 10-15 lb. DA pulls I have experienced on other handguns, both revolvers and semi-autos. Also, because it is consistent (not DA/SA), learning the trigger for both safety and accuracy is easier than with many other handguns.

I like the P-32 for what it is, the way it is. I don't bother to carry it since my Kel-Tec P-40 with more rounds and a lot more effectiveness is just as concealable for me. CB3