PDA

View Full Version : Best holster for Kahr CCW ???

Tim Currie
August 20, 2002, 12:29 AM
I don't want to play trial and error with my CCW holster(s) as they are expensive. What do you recommend and why?

I think I will most often carry IWB and sometimes an outside the waist band belt holster will work.

Kahr has holsters they sell on their website made for their guns, should I go with one of these?

Thanks.

70-101
August 20, 2002, 12:38 AM
If your into fine leather holsters like I am, check out Highnoon Holsters. I own nine of Micheals holsters, because they are the best. www.highnoonholsters.com

leftover
August 20, 2002, 01:58 AM
I would recommend something that covers the entire gun so that you won't feel embarrassed when your friends see the pitted finish :D

leftover
August 20, 2002, 01:59 AM
And the useful answer is

Milt Sparks Summer Special II. Good value, long lasting, low riding IWB holster. ;)

justaguy
August 20, 2002, 02:20 AM
I have been using a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 for my P9 and love it. It is a IWB that converts to a shirt tucker by switching out the snap loops for special kydex clips. It's loops/clips are spaced out making it very stable and somewhat thinner than the IWBs with the loops on top of the holster. It is also, by request, made out of horsehide to aid in the sweat resistance. By design, it keeps the butt of the gun very tight to the body and It conceals well under light cover clothing(t-shirt, polo). In the tuckable mode, my P9 disappears under a tucked in shirt. It was around $100 but worth it. It beats buying a good tuckable and a good IWB, IMO the VM2 is the only one that does both well.
If you don't want to spend that much and/or don't want a tuckable holster, Milt Sparks has others to choose from. I also have the Watch Six. It's a IWB made of horsehide with wide spaced snap loops. It's very stable and holds the butt in close. They do not use the mouth reinforcement to make this a very thin leather holster. It's about $57 and worth it. The only bad thing about MS is the wait, it's about 8-9 weeks. That is one reason kydex is tempting, they are much easier to get.
I have tried a IWB from Blade Tech and although it was good quality and the gun retention was good, IMO I found it was too bulky and didn't pull the butt of the gun in as well as any of my leather holsters. But you will get may replies from people that swear by kydex.
That is the big problem, holsters are a personal preference. It kinda like a good woman, you will most likely go through a few before you find the one for you. That was cheesy, I must be getting tired. good night
M

Eric Larsen
August 20, 2002, 06:11 AM
Sparks are great, Allesi are also great but I like Hume. If your worried about quality vs price...I think you just hit the jackpot.
This little holster is top quality leather, has a metal retaining clip sewn into the top to keep it open for reholstering and is just plain beautiful. Its the thinnest and smallest holtser Ive seen..
And quality is rarely better....they sell for under 30$ :D :eek:
Shoot well

Russ
August 20, 2002, 09:29 AM
Leftover,

I have read your numerous Kahr posts and have to say sorry you got a crappy finish on your Kahr. Your photos were excellen in demonstrating the problems.

I have an MK40 in the low 300 serial numbers I bought in early 2000 and the exterior is absolutely flawless. There are a couple of small pits on the inside of the frame when you tear it down but nothing to worry about and certainly not visible unless you field strip it. I hope Kahr returns to quality. Too expensive not to be flawless.

Tim,

Kramer makes some nice holsters for Kahrs. I think if you do a search for Kramer leather you will find some you may like.

riddleofsteel
August 20, 2002, 04:44 PM
I carry this combo almost daily in hot weather under an XXL T-shirt or an untucked button up like a Hawiian. A Kramer cowhide belt scabbard and single mag pouch with an MK40 on a Uncle Mike's Mirage gun belt. The ultimate in comfort, control and security.

http://www.yerfrockethellhound.com/mk40inholster.JPG

I have found Kramer's cowhide holsters to be a great bargin. They are every bit as durable as the horsehide and a good bit cheaper.

Tim Currie
August 20, 2002, 05:10 PM
Thanks guys, I'll look at those. I just finished my CCW class/certification today, so I still have a while to pick something out.

As far as the Kahr quality goes. Mine also is completely flawless and was ordered brand new a couple weeks ago. It has also functioned 100% through almost 500 rounds so far.

Tim Currie
August 22, 2002, 04:13 AM
Hey guys, what do you think are the pros and cons of clip-on holsters VS. belt snap on holsters and also belt slide holsters?

I figured I'll eventually get one good IWB holster and one I can carry outside the waist band on the belt.

But I dont know what to go with as far as the different types of fasteners.

Eric Larsen
August 22, 2002, 07:06 AM
After carrying for a while you really get to know what works for you and what you have to adapt to.
Almost every IWB holster I have its a clip on..I need to be able to take it off in a second and then put it back in place. Sometimes 5 times a day....
Typically the 2 loop snap IWB provide a tad better support and If youre in a situation where you dont have to remove it all day..this may be the way to go..
Shoot well

t-wheel
August 22, 2002, 07:38 AM
Try A Fobus paddle holster--low cost high quality-they have a web site-just use your search engine.

Tim Currie
August 23, 2002, 11:57 AM
Any other opinions? Thanks.

Rickmeister
August 23, 2002, 01:19 PM
Yes, KahrShop holsters are a tad pricy.

You can get the Galco for less at http://www.impactguns.com/

E. BeauBeaux
August 23, 2002, 02:43 PM
If it's a MK9 I have a Milt Spark's Summer Special IWB for sale in the for sale forum. I'm just not a IWB guy.

Tim Currie
August 23, 2002, 03:29 PM
Actually it's a P9 :(

Drjones
August 23, 2002, 04:55 PM
Hi. I have a "Tuckable" IWB from www.fist-inc.com which I am very happy with.

I just ordered one of these: http://www.action-direct.com/defender.htm

for several reasons:

1) Inexpensive, ($35!!!) and no need for a separate belt.

2) COMPLETELY concealable, even with dress clothes.

3) Holder for extra mag built in

4) Just makes sense to me.

Unlike "Thunderwear" and similar items, you can wear this holster in almost any position, even around your chest, with the pistol under your arm!

Obviously, it makes sense that such a wide belt would be very comfortable, as it would easily distribute the weight.

Look for a review from me in about a week.

Also; I'm using it for a Beretta 96 (Big gun) and maybe a 1911 if I get one. If it works on these guns, it'll be a dream with a smaller pistol!

Drjones

Mark King
August 23, 2002, 07:17 PM
I recently purchased a Ky_tac Bravehart for my P9 covert.. Excellent design, I can carry easily under an un-tucked t-shirt or polo. It's very comfortable and it's FAST.

Mark / Fl

KSFreeman
August 23, 2002, 07:47 PM
Tim, P9 is my bug. I wear it port side behind my extra mags for my 1911. I use Milt Sparks VM-2 (black so its tactically correct). I am in and out of jails, prisons, state and federal courthouses. No troubles either taking off (prisons) or just removing the pistols.

I despise clip ons as they usually end up down range. Use this test, do a front and back rollout with your holster and pistol. See if it remains where it should.

I like IWB as: I can use either hand to reach either pistol, the pistols are smooth to draw, the pistols ride close to the body (retention and concealment). and I can use the holsters in mal and one hand drills.

Hope you never need it! :)

harrydog
August 23, 2002, 08:14 PM
The Alessi WSDT is the best IWB holster I know of. You will not regret getting one for your Kahr.

Eric Larsen
August 24, 2002, 01:35 PM
KS,
I used to hate them..but after discovering good metal clips come on good holsters..Im a fan. I can keep it any cant I feel like using with my dress/gun for that day and the clips on most of my holsters will sooner rip your pants off sooner than let go of their grip. They are very very strong and very convenient for quick removal and reinstallation.
Shoot well

faustulus
August 25, 2002, 04:05 AM
If you live where it is very hot and you like IWBs I would try a blade-tech. I have one for every pistol I own, in addition to leather in some cases. They are nearly indestructable, and they will keep the sweat off the gun.