PDA

View Full Version : Steyer Scout......Anyone Own One?

Milehi
October 1, 1999, 10:19 PM
Looking for honest comments on it. I went to Gunsite back in the Cooper era and was impressed by the scout concept. But $2075 (the cheapest price I could find) for a Steyer Scout sure is steep, let alone the crap I'd get from the ole heffer if she found out I bought one.
So what is your overall opinion of this gun?(please only those that own or have shot the Steyer Scout).

pete80
October 1, 1999, 10:38 PM
Ouch, I take it your wife doesn't surf this website! I don't have a Scout but a close friend does. He loves it. He let me shoot it a few months ago and now I love it! It handled so much better than any other long gun that I have shot. Snap shots were a breeze and 200 yard prone shots were just as good. It didn't have all that much felt recoil but it certainly spoke (maybe because of the GI MIL-SPEC ammo we ran) If I could only own one rifle, the Steyr Scout would be it. I just need to come up with that $2000+!

M16
October 2, 1999, 09:26 AM
When the Steyr Scout hit the market I didn't intend to buy one. Like most people I just didn't think it would be worth the price. Now my opinion has changed. It is well worth the money. The gun is extremely fast to get on target. The trigger is great out of the box. The concept just flat works. The only people who don't like Steyr are the people who don't own one. While the psuedo scouts will probably get the job done they are not in the same league as the Steyr.

BMWGS80
October 2, 1999, 11:29 AM
I have done alot of study of the scout concept and shot several. I like the Steyr and would like to own one but I already have Rem.700s in my firearms battery. I think I would like to have the same actions for my bolt guns I will probably build my own and get the ROBAR M-14 mag conversion so I can have interchangeability with my two M1As and the ability to canibalize parts if need be.

I just wish that the conservative US companies would look at this seriously. The Remington 700 with a detachable mag and a good McMillian stock with extra mag well would be a great combination and should sell quite well.

Cheers,

ts

Milehi
October 2, 1999, 11:46 AM
Thanks Guys.......I think I'm going to start saving my lunch money and get one.
When I took the rifle course at Gunsite, the folks that had scout rifles did a better job than those that had regular bolt/scoped guns.

El Chimango Pete
October 2, 1999, 05:38 PM
Its on my shopping list but will probably stay there for a while - in this country import duty on guns is 70%, add to the 2000+ then freight and handling - on that, 21% sales tax (VAT) so the choice comes down to the Scout or replace the Rolls (which has a full ashtray) :)

Seriously though, and forgetting than in this case it would be the value of two Scouts, as Col Cooper has pointed out - if one is willing to go with only one or perhps two good rifles its price is within a normal budget.

Byron Quick
October 3, 1999, 09:23 AM
I know that Rob owns one and I believe that Rich Lucibella does also. Email them and ask.

------------------
Byron Quick

Rich Lucibella
October 3, 1999, 10:47 AM
Scout Pluses:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Light weight
<LI>Forward mounted 2.5 power IER scope
<LI>Excellent trigger
<LI>Extraordinarily accurate barrel
<LI>Butt stock spare mag
<LI>Butt stock storage well
<LI>Integrated bipod
<LI>3 point sling
<LI>Adjustable bipod
<LI>Double detent mag catch
<LI> Price
</UL>
Negatives:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Will not reliably fire milsurp hardened primers. This is adjustable thru the firing pin spring.
<LI>Non-Mauser type, non-positive feed action.
<LI>Soft alloy receiver; titanium would be a major improvement.
<LI>Terrible stock sling...replace with Galco version
<LI>Terrible backup sights
<LI>Nonstandard bolt handle...quite functional, but it changes the normal manual of arms
</UL>

Note that I put price in the plus column. The Scout is a Porsche. Rather than comparing it to a VW (Savage), it should be compared to a custom rifle built with all these attributes. You'll find the price is quite reasonable.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited October 03, 1999).]

Rob Pincus
October 3, 1999, 07:41 PM
My ears started burning... I figured someone said "Cops Suck" or something.. I was relieved to see I was mentioned in relation to a Steyr (or course, I haven't checked the General Forum yet... ;))

Yes, I own a Scout. I think Rich hit the nail on the head, it is like a Porsche. Actually, it is a 3000GT VR4 Twin Turbo, which is one of the most aweseom cars on the road for uner $50k. To beat it out (at least back in '95 when I bought my first one) you had to spend over 100k on a Twin Turbo Porsche to beat it. The Steyr is like that, it is not cheap, but you get a great rifle for the money.

I agree with Rich's "positives", but I would take away price, which I think is simply appropriate. I would add:

Excellent Safety System (once you figure it out :))

In the negative category, I don't mind the stock sling, once it gets broken in. I also think that Titanium would raise the price to an unreasonable level. The backup sights may suck, but they are there and the rear sight is a peep type, which is nice. Most expensive custom rifles (tactical or not) don't offer any back-up sighting system. Other than those, I concur with Rich's Observations. I'd Add:

Color. At first I thought it was rather cool, but the more I actually use the rifle around tradional hunters, the more I find it ostentatious. I had a Psuedo-Scout built on a black stocked Remington that got a lot of attention without the immediate distasteful looks. In justifying the concept of the Scout, I find the color to be a superficial distraction which is a disadvantage around almost eveyone, hunters and "tactical" shooters alike.

As a final comment, Some of you know that I am currently away from home for about 6 months, The Steyr Scout ended up being the *only* Rifle I brought with me. Along with the worst case scenarios, I knew that I'd be doing a lot of hunting while away, and I thought it was the best all-around choice from my collection.

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited October 03, 1999).]

Futo Inu
October 4, 1999, 06:56 PM
Rich, Can you please tell me exactly what is meant by the phrase "manual of arms" as you used it in your post above? Thanks. The context makes me think this means more than a written owner's manual that comes with the rifle.

Rich Lucibella
October 5, 1999, 09:45 AM
Futo-
Manual of Arms refers to the way we function and handle a weapon. A good example of this is seen in loading proceedures with the semiauto pistols. Some use the slide release lever. I use the racking method. Why? It simplifies the "Manual of Arms": the malfunction drills (tap-rack-bang) become the same as the loading procedure (insert-rack-bang).

In the case of the Steyr, the proper way to run the bolt is by catching it in the upraised palm. Since this is different from most other bolt throws, it might tend to complicate the "transition" to other rifles. Same is true of the straight pull Blaser. While it's exceedingly fast, you don't want to bet your life on your abiltity to train with a normal bolt and jump back and forth to the Blaser action.
Rich

Futo Inu
October 5, 1999, 10:09 AM
Thanks, Rich.

Doug in PHX
October 8, 1999, 08:47 PM
Rich,

Actually I operate the bolt the same way on all my bolt guns, including my Ruger M77 Scout, my Steyr Scout, my Rem 700 LTR and my 03A3. I derived it after watching an NRA High Power shooter using a M70 at a match. I couldn't even see him work the bolt, it was so fast.

Basically, after firing a shot, I reach up and hook the ball of the bolt with the first 2 fingers of my right hand. (On the SS, just grasp it where the ball would be.) Use them to unlock and retract the bolt. Keep the same grasp when closing the bolt, but a lot of the closing work is done with the palm, right at the base of the first 2 fingers.

This technique got me thru a Cooper rifle class at the NRA Whittington Center in New Mexico, with my Ruger. It also got me thru a General Rifle class at Thunder ranch, with my SS. The base of your fingers get sore in a class from closing the bolt, but we're talking 400-500 rounds in the class, and lots of dry firing. For normal weekend practice at the range, and while hunting, I've had no problem.

I know I didn't explain this well, it's much easier to show it than explain it. If you're at the Gunsite Reunion in Whittington next week, look me up. I'll be glad to show it to you.

Doug Penrose

[This message has been edited by Doug in PHX (edited October 08, 1999).]

Rich Lucibella
October 9, 1999, 07:55 AM
Doug-
Thanks. This makes much sense and you can answer a question for me:
Is Cooper teaching this method with all bolts? I know you picked it up on your own, and it makes sense, but did he make any copmment?
Rich

Doug in PHX
October 9, 1999, 06:53 PM
Rich,

The actual technique of bolt manipulation wasn't addressed during either class. Both just sort of let you figure it out for yourself. Much emphasis is placed on running the bolt while the rifle is still mounted in the shoulder though.

No comments from Jeff, and I've never actually showed it to him for comment. During my rifle class, Jeff was having back pain and wasn't out on the range as much as normal. This was in the spring of '96. A few people commented on how fast I ran the bolt, but others in the class were just as fast or faster.

Jeff doesn't seem to be too concerned about the actual finger technique used in running the bolt, just run it while the rifle is still in the shoulder pocket. I believe the one he uses, and I've seen him mention in print is to use the top edge of the hand (the edge closest to the thumb) to unlock and retract the bolt, and use the thumb to push the bolt closed and lock it. It helps to stiffen the fingers when you use this technique, so your hand is sort of bladed. A variation of this is to rotate the hand and use the palm for the unlocking and retraction. This is closer to what you were describing. I personally don't care for these techniques as much. The first one hurts the edge of my hand too much, and the second one is more hand movement than I care for. But they all work. The technique I use has proved the quickest and most foolproof to me.

I know about 5 or 6 ways to manipulate the bolt. Some people like one, some like another. This one works pretty well for me, and has proved pretty universal so far. If I ever have to use a rifle that doen't lend itself to this technique, I have others to fall back on.

One other tip I forgot to mention. I shoot with my thumb on the right side of the stock. I learned this because of shooting M1's and M14's. Some people put it over the top of the stock, behind the action. When I run the bolt, as I reach for the ball, I sort of move my hand up and forward, and move my thumb over the stock. This gives me more leverage to open the bolt and is more comfortable when I retract it. As I close the bolt, I slide my hand down to the trigger, and at the same time bring my thumb back over to the right. It's all much smoother than I've described it. Wish I could show it to you. But hopefully you can work out a variation for yourself.

The only trouble I ever had with my technique was after I first got my Steyr, I caught my thumb between the bolt and stock during the retraction, due to the deeply dished area above the pistol grip. I learned to not let my thumb drop too low, and now it works fine. I think I was letting my thumb ride along the stock line, and on most rifles this is fairly straight. On the Steyr, it drops down, due to the dished area and my thumb got between the bolt and the stock. Only once though.

Too bad I didn't see you when you were out here in AZ. Some other time, I guess.

Hope this helps.

Doug.

[This message has been edited by Doug in PHX (edited October 09, 1999).]

Rich Lucibella
October 10, 1999, 03:26 PM
Great info, Doug. I'll try a couple of these tips. Thanks for the response.
Rich