PDA

View Full Version : Easiest Semi-Auto to Maintain

meat
August 14, 2002, 02:27 PM
In your opinion, what is the easiest semi-auto to maintain/clean? Second, what is the easiest one to repair or have repaired?
Thanks in advance for the responses.

Rickmeister
August 14, 2002, 02:29 PM
Glock. Glock.

CWL
August 14, 2002, 02:32 PM
First question: Glock

Second question: 1911, most parts available

hsg2001
August 14, 2002, 02:38 PM
I've never cleaned my Glock 17. Five months of ownership (bought it new), more than 1000 rounds through it.

No problems. I don't recommend the above practice. A person should probably clean their firearms regularly.

9x19
August 14, 2002, 03:22 PM
Glock is the answer to most questions. :p

Easiest to field strip; easiest to detail strip; and the easiest to repair as there are NO hand-fit parts; alos easiest to have repaired, especially if you go to a GSSF match where Glock has armorers who will examine and fix anything short of a new frame, barrel or slide, on site, while you wait... for FREE.

denfoote
August 14, 2002, 03:30 PM
Glock. Glock.

DITTO DITTO!!! :) :)

Zahnster
August 14, 2002, 03:46 PM
I think my High Power is pretty simple to strip and clean. Don't like to put more than a few 100 rounds through it between cleanings.(Try to clean it after every use)

RAY WOODROW 3RD
August 14, 2002, 05:27 PM
Beretta 92FS for ease of cleaning.:p

9mmMike
August 14, 2002, 05:30 PM
Glock. Glock.

tlhelmer
August 14, 2002, 05:57 PM
followed by Beretta and Sig.

CZ_
August 14, 2002, 06:03 PM
Sig is the easiest for me to FIELD STRIP.

For detail stripping, repair, and maintanance, GLOCK wins hands down.

OF
August 14, 2002, 06:05 PM
My USP and the Glock are pretty much tied. I only clean the HK when it's so full of crud I can watch the slide cycling. Bang! Ker-chunk. Bang! Ker-chunk. ;)

- Gabe

taco
August 14, 2002, 06:08 PM
I hate to say it but... Glock and Glock.

Ala Dan
August 14, 2002, 06:13 PM
Any Sig "Classic" P-series self-loader.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Redlg155
August 14, 2002, 06:21 PM
Glock....followed by HK.

Good Shooting
RED

FlyinGN
August 14, 2002, 06:57 PM
I know my Alchemy arms is easy as heck and its exactly like a Glock.. Ill vote for Glock too

Frank

archer215
August 14, 2002, 07:00 PM
its gotta be glock for me too my g23 has become quite filthy and never malfunctioned and its by far the easiest to feild strip and clean:D

Redlg155
August 14, 2002, 07:02 PM
like a Glack

Ahh..some would call it that too!:D

Good SHooting
RED

spleenandideal
August 14, 2002, 07:04 PM
My vote goes to the Beretta M9 in stainless....

Mad Man
August 14, 2002, 07:16 PM
In your opinion, what is the easiest semi-auto to maintain/clean?

Short answer: Browning Hi-Power, Sig P-22x series, and Beretta 92.

While I can disassemble a Glock with my eyes closed, I find a lot of my friends have trouble with holding it correctly (thumb on backstrap, fingers over the top of the slide) and pulling it back just far enough to engage the take-down lever without resetting the trigger safety. It is very ackward for a novice.

The usual response by some is that people should take the time for more training and become intimately familiar with their gun, but not everyone lives, eats, breathes, and sleeps guns. Just because I drive a lot doesn't mean I know how to take apart my car. Nor do I even like to change the oil, even though I can do that myself.

The beauty of the Hi-Power and the Sigs is that the slide can be locked back in order to engage the take-down lever. They don't require much handstrength or dexterity, since the person does not have to counter-act the tension of the recoil spring while engaging the take-down lever.

The Berettas don't even require the slide to be pulled back -- just turn the lever 90 degrees and pull the slide off the frame.

All three guns can, if need be, disassembled using one hand. Glocks, 1911s, HKs, etc., cannot.

In addition to it's thin grip, this is one reason I recommend the Hi Power to new shooters with small hands. It doesn't hurt that the weight of the Hi-Power easily dampens the recoil of a 9mm, but that's another topic.

kahr Carrier
August 14, 2002, 07:51 PM
I second or third it Glock:rolleyes:

New_comer
August 14, 2002, 08:01 PM
:D

|
|
|
|
v

blades67
August 14, 2002, 08:13 PM
In your opinion, what is the easiest semi-auto to maintain/clean?

SIG Sauer "P" series pistols.

Second, what is the easiest one to repair or have repaired?

1911 and Glock.

otomik
August 14, 2002, 09:19 PM
1. three way tie, Glock is damn easy but it's disasemmbly process is less safe than Beretta 92-series or SIG P-series.

2. 1911, Glock or Beretta 92 (locking block takes most of the punishment, it's good for about 100,000 rounds and if something bad happens it can still function with a broken locking block and it only costs 50 bucks to replace).

hansolo
August 14, 2002, 10:47 PM
...easiest semi-auto to clean, maintain

That's easy....Kia :rolleyes: semi-AUTO...get it?

dinojas
August 14, 2002, 11:27 PM
Gotta be Glock on the first question and any good 1911 for the second.

E357
August 15, 2002, 01:04 AM
I just can't believe all the JUMP RIGHT UP AND SAY "GLOCK". Have you people ever see the insides of a Kel-Tec? It a super simplified Glock that you can also throw into the washing machine to clean. Far fewer parts, and very easy to understand and DETAIL strip if needed. All parts are available cheaply from the factory and any part you feel is not up to spec. you get free.

Elliot

BamBam-31
August 15, 2002, 01:22 AM
Gotta agree with Redlg155.

Glock, followed by HK. No-brainer disassembly, and fewer nooks and crannies to scrub out.

Been so spoiled by both, my Sig looks complicated, and it's not!

22lovr
August 15, 2002, 07:55 AM
My KelTec P11 was like a tinker toy. You could take the various components apart with ease. A good inexpensive semi-auto to get into basic gun function and maintenance.

9x19
August 15, 2002, 04:28 PM
Do you guys really think the mainspring on a Kel-Tec P-11 is easier to remove than ANY part on a Glock, or the firing pin and extractor on a Kel-Tec come out as easy as they do on a Glock?

They sure don't on mine... perhaps my Kel-Tecs are defective? :D

Dr.Rob
August 15, 2002, 09:05 PM
BHP is the simplest to take apart and clean that I've ever owned.

Then again I know ove guy that brags that he's NEVER cleaned his Glock. He's an idiot. :D

juliet charley
August 15, 2002, 09:43 PM
There are several handguns that are significantly easier to field strip than Glocks including Sigs, Berettas and maybe even the P35. Once you have them field stripped, cleaning is cleaning.

Glocks seem to have a disproportionate share of accidental discharges during field stripping.

I would say field stripping in one of Glocks' weaker points (and let's not even mention trying to disassemble a Glock magazine).

If you think Glocks are the easiest to field strip, you either deluding yourself, or don't have a lot of experience with some of the other systems available. (After all, theoretically, a bad guy can field strip a loaded Beretta while a cop has it pointed at him! ;) )

E357
August 15, 2002, 09:57 PM
9x19:
Three of the parts you mentioned on the Kel-tec are held in by exactly one pin or screw now what could be easier than that.

The mainspring is not hard at all to remove, it's held in by two pins, but somehow you picked the part that is buried in the middle of the frame.

The firing pin on the kel-tec could actually be removed while the rest of the gun is completely assembled. On the kel-tec the firing pin assembly in total consists of (pin, spring and screw) that's three parts compared to Glock's 11 or 12 part firing pin assembly - last I looked.

There is a reason for the existance of Glock "armorers courses".

Taking the 15 pieces of the Kel-Tec's frame apart is 3 minutes work. The slide is even easier - only seven parts - nine if you count the sights.

I not saying Glocks aren't simple they are, but Kel-Tec does away with ALL the SAFETY crap entirely (LOL). - no letters please! remember we were addressing ease of cleaning etc. not comparing features.

Elliot

Hal
August 16, 2002, 05:09 AM
Interesting that no one has mentioned the Makarov.
From the description at www.makarov.com, the Mak looks pretty easy.

JIH
August 16, 2002, 06:43 AM
For field stripping: SIGs and HKs.

For detail stripping: Glocks, Kel-Tec.

For finding someone else to work on your gun: 1911s, Glocks, HKs (in that order).

JStein
August 16, 2002, 09:48 AM
Have to agree, Glock for cleaning/Maint.

10 years ago I would have said the 1911 was easiest to repair. But I think the nod has to go to the Glock on this one since there are Armorers every where.

Just last week I saw a fellow with a "Will fix Glocks for food" sign on a busy street corner.

krept
August 16, 2002, 10:16 AM
I being the mindless drone vote for Glock on both accounts as well. Don't know about SIG or Beretta or Kel-Tec. I mean if Kel-Tecs have far fewer parts than a Glock there would almost be no parts. Removing the slide stop lever on the USP is a PITA sometimes.

Thing that clues me into Glock is that the armorer's course is a whole 1 day affair.

E357
August 16, 2002, 12:30 PM
RAE: the barrel on a Mak is very often a PITA. A barrel press, or 250 lb. wife is often required.

Elliot

Caseless
August 17, 2002, 04:20 PM
Makarov- chrome-lined bore doesn't need cleaning. Cleaning the firing pin doesn't require take down tools.
HK USP - no need for repair, lube, or accessory. Just ammo.

KEN CHAVEZ
August 17, 2002, 11:13 PM
The Glock is the easiest semi-auto to maintain.

The 1911 is the easiest semi-auto to get parts for.

orsogato
August 18, 2002, 04:27 PM
1. Glock without a doubt.

2. Glock. The thing only has 34 parts total compared to a 1911s 70+ parts

juliet charley
August 18, 2002, 05:17 PM
2. Glock. The thing only has 34 parts total compared to a 1911s 70+ parts

The 1911 has 51 parts (counting the grips and and grip screws).

Typical "Glock facts."

9mmMike
August 18, 2002, 05:38 PM
Typical touchy 1911 owner. ;) hehehe!

juliet charley
August 18, 2002, 07:18 PM
Nope, don't even own one.

Just tired of some Glock owners who play free and loose with the truth.

jack_the_sailor
August 18, 2002, 07:28 PM
Glock

jmstr
August 18, 2002, 07:59 PM
I don't know about easiest, as most of mine aren't too bad. HOWEVER, my Kahr K9 could win prizes for both easiest and hardest. Unfortunately, it takes me at least 5 minutes to get the slide catch out of the body of the pistol. It is just in so tight [and a spring helps add tension] that I have to 'hammer' it out of the body. Once the slide release is off, it can still be a hair tricky getting the slide to slide past the 'sear [?]' area.

However, it is the easiest to clean once these two parts are pulled off. Of all my pistols, the easiest to clean in my Baby Eagle 9mm [fieldstripping]. Although my Ruger P97 isn't far behind.

Robert Foote
August 19, 2002, 12:50 AM
My personal criteria would be based on a gun full of salt water, wet sand or gritty mud--in which case 'field stripping' is insufficient. The Glock has to be the best in that regard, equalled only by the 1911. NO tools required for either for detail stripping.

There aren't many service pistols out there that can claim that. The SIG 220-series pistols, BHPs, and Rugers field strip very easily, but after that it's armorer time.

krept
August 19, 2002, 10:05 AM
Hi Robert,

how do you get the pins in the frame out without tools? I use the small screwdriver on my Leatherman Wave or a pin punch, but those are tools.

I think, what, the hammer strut on the 1911 does the job of punching the pins out?

Thanks.