PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77's...are they all the same?

Alan R
August 13, 2002, 01:02 PM
In other words, are all M77's MKII's? If not, what are the differences and how do I go about identifying these differences?

Thanks and God Bless.

Gary H
August 13, 2002, 01:21 PM
Don't know the answer to your question, but I have a MII target version that has an incredible out of the box trigger and shoots very small groups. From all the negative comments that I have read about this rifle line, I would say that they do differ in some major ways.

MeekAndMild
August 13, 2002, 01:56 PM
The old style with the thumb safety on the tang is the one I have. It shoots very well, amazingly well.

scottaz
August 13, 2002, 01:57 PM
One of the differences is that the origanals had the tang safety, whille the newer MkII's have the 3-position wing safety, someone correct me if im wrong. There may be other diiferences as well but i dont know of any.
Scott

Omaha-BeenGlockin
August 13, 2002, 04:32 PM
I think the older ones were push feed and not controlled round feed/claw extractor.

dZ
August 13, 2002, 08:43 PM
the mark ones have an adjustable trigger

the mark twos have a fiddle proof trigger

Poodleshooter
August 14, 2002, 03:43 PM
M77MkII- push feed-claw extractor (not controlled feed), comes in stainless steel, 3 position Winchester style safety, non-adjustable trigger
M77-better finish (blued only), tang safety, adjustable trigger, non claw extractor
Both are nice rifles. I have a MkII in stainless steel, which is my "beater" deer rifle.

S.F.S
August 14, 2002, 05:06 PM
Poodleshooter,
The M77-MkII is controlled feed not push feed. And the target model has an adjustable two stage trigger.

Scott

TangSafetyM77
August 15, 2002, 10:43 AM
As you can tell from my handle, I'm partial to the older style M77's. I've never seen one that didn't shoot. Most of my bias subjective, but if you have the chance to handle one of the older models with the tang safety and the red rubber butt pad, do it. Then go to the gunstore and compare that to one of the new M77's. The bolts feel tinny and rough, the triggers are horrible. The metal to stock fit is spotty. I finally found one of the older tang saftey models at the last gun show in .243. The trigger is great and is adjusted to around 2 1/2 lbs, and it came with an old weaver K4. This rifle shoots inexpensive Winchester 100 grn power points into a cloverleaf at 100 yds. Even if the new Rugers are capable of that kind of accuracy, who could get them to shoot without an aftermarket trigger?
IMO, if you can find a well-kept older model, you will end up getting a much higher quality rifle for less money than a new one.

Poodleshooter
August 15, 2002, 11:41 AM
Poodleshooter,The M77-MkII is controlled feed not push feed.
My "controlled feed" MkII allows me to manually drop a round in the chamber, and close the bolt over it. When it feeds, it pushes the round into the chamber. The rim of the case is not encased by the claw extractor or controlled by the bolt during feeding, even when magazine fed. If I rotate the rifle upside down and attempt to magazine feed a round, it falls out. That doesn't happen with a Mauser. I maintain that that M77MkII is a push feed rifle with a claw extractor.
I do stand corrected on the trigger issue.

Crimper-D
August 15, 2002, 03:02 PM
Red rubber buttplate, semi-butterknife bolthandle, externally adjustable trigger with a letoff about 2lbs. With a Redfield 6X scope it will kill California Groundsquirrels with headshots if I feed it reloads. It's a .243 and can do execution on the little rascals as far out as 200 yds.
The "Modern" M77's don't even look or feel like the same rifle
:rolleyes:

S.F.S
August 15, 2002, 06:34 PM
I held my rifle upside down and the rounds did not fall out as I cycled the bolt (multiple times). The claw extractor totally covers the case rim on mine.
Even in Ruger's catalog it advertises it as controlled feed. I believe that the older models with the tang safety was a push feed with a claw extractor.
Maybe their is some sought of problem with your rifle?

Scott

Alan R
August 15, 2002, 06:52 PM
Excellent information...thanks everyone.

God Bless,

Alan

hjk_rick
August 15, 2002, 08:17 PM
The MKII was originally a push feed - since changed to controled feed to compete with Winchester. Thus solving the debate between Poodleshooter and S.F.S.

The capacity of the tang safety model was five rounds - the MKII holds four. Some like the slimmer gun.

The inletting of the tang safety was problematic for acuracy of the older guns.

Ruger's forty dollar rebate makes the MKII a very good deal right now!

Rick

MeekAndMild
August 15, 2002, 09:41 PM
Why would you want to shoot upside down? :p

Poodleshooter
August 16, 2002, 10:37 AM
Why would you want to shoot upside down?
It's tactical :D

Thanks for the info hjk_rik! I had suspected that that was the case, as I have heard both accounts, but only know of my own experiences with my MKII. Any idea if it is possible to get a bolt retrofit for the slightly older MkII's like mine. I grew up using an M94 Swede Mauser and was used to controlled feed till I bought the MkII as my first deer rifle.

hjk_rick
August 16, 2002, 09:24 PM
Poodleshooter -

You should call Ruger. I'd be willing to bet that they will modify the bolt no charge. Let us know how you make out.

Rick

Poodleshooter
August 26, 2002, 11:25 AM
Some lady on the tech support line told me that they would replace the bolt and convert it to controlled feed........

For about $100! No thanks!

hjk_rick
August 26, 2002, 06:00 PM
Wow - did I misjudge that one. Is the bolt the only modification or do they need to alter the chamber also?

Sorry,
Rick

Poodleshooter
August 26, 2002, 09:13 PM
They said that they would completely switch out the bolts. I think that grinding the bottom lip off of the rifle might not work, as that would leave a gap below the head and rim. Maybe that would be a problem, maybe not. At any rate, it's not really worth the loss of my principal deer rifle for several weeks, and the $100+.
The rifle already went to Ruger back when I first got it, as the extractor was poorly tensioned. If it isn't broke, I'd rather not "fix" it.