PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with me?

WizeGuy_
August 13, 2002, 07:59 AM
What is wrong with me guys? I do not like 1911's. At first I thought it was because I had only handled low end 1911's but yesterday I got to shoot a $1000 kimber. For some reason they feel clunky in my hand? Is this because I am not experienced with 1911's? I know they are fine handguns but I just don't like the way they feel or shoot. Anybody else feel this way or am I on my own?

johnwill
August 13, 2002, 08:03 AM
If you don't like 1911's, you are obviously a very sick boy! :D:D

Seriously, while the 1911 is one of my favorite handguns, it's really not for everyone, I know a number of people that are very ambivalent about the 1911, I have no problem with that. I'm somewhat ambivalent about revolvers, just the way I am. I doubt you'll need extensive therapy, but maybe a range session or two with the 1911 will cure you. :)

9x19
August 13, 2002, 09:25 AM
Thru most of the 80s, I was a 1911-a-holic, then I bought a Glock on a whim and went the other way.

After years of shooting only Glocks, my wife gave me two Springifeld 1911A1s for my 25th Wedding anniversary present.

Man did they feel clunky! Nine months later and a few thousand rounds down range... man do they feel clunky! :p

To me, Glocks are svelte, but the 1911 and I do get along, and the clunky feeling diminishes alot over time.

Onslaught
August 13, 2002, 09:46 AM
What is wrong with me guys?
Doh! Open ended line of responses... :eek:
You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny? :D

Kidding... Whatever it is, it's going around. Although I do truely think the 1911 is one of the finest works of art to ever chunk lead, I just don't feel comfortable shooting one.

No, it's not just because I haven't fired a good one either... Several years ago, while doing a "remote broadcast" for their newly opened range, I was privileged enough to shoot Sharon Edington's 38 Super "BooBoo". Maybe it was the 3 ounce trigger... Maybe it was the blast from the compensator... Maybe it was just because Sharon was so close while adjusting my stance ;) But I wasn't comfortable at all... She even remarked that I needed to calm down :D I was relieved when she switched me over to a Glock.

caz223
August 13, 2002, 10:19 AM
I don't know.
The kimber, and many other makes of 1911 feel clumsy to me, too.
The original colts do not feel clunky to me at all.
I think it's alll the extended crap that they 'improved' on. :rolleyes:
The really tweaked out guns feel that way to me, too.
But an old series 70, all the way to a defender, all feel ok to me.

SixGunner
August 13, 2002, 10:42 AM
I'm the opposite.

1911 - :D

Glock: Brick on a stick :(

JMHO. Of course, you haven't lived until you've handled a Hi-power! (Haven't shot one, just held one). :D.

Tamara
August 13, 2002, 11:00 AM
Sometimes there are good guns that you just don't "click" with.

Objectively, I know that Browning High Powers and CZ-75's are among the top pistol designs ever made. Subjectively, when I hold one in my hand, I think "what's the big deal?".

CastleBravo
August 13, 2002, 11:19 AM
Nothing wrong with you. Just a matter of personal taste. Shoot what you like.

Personally, I don't think the P7 is that big a deal.

hsg2001
August 13, 2002, 11:22 AM
The bottom line:

If it feels clunky in your hand, don't bother.

foghornl
August 13, 2002, 11:34 AM
The "1911's" are good weapons, but not for everybody. For me, I carried a BHP in 9Milli in the mid-70's, felt good, shot good. Couldn't hit a bull in the butt @ 5yds with a Mdl 10 4" S&W back then. Lots of practice with a Smith .22 "kit gun", and I got fairly decent with most revo's. Next time i tried a "slide gun", it didn't feel right, and I would have been better off using it (Mdl 59 Smith) as a throwing weapon. Over the years, I have tried lots of handguns, and now I can shoot both revos & 'slide guns' about equally. Not 'punch out the X-Ring at 50 Yds', but i can keep them in the black at 15 yds.

I have shot Kimbers, Springfields, and Para-Ords. Well-made weapons, but didn't have the right 'feel' to me. My .45ACP is a Ruger KP-90.

So, I would say "Nothing wrong with you"....Find the handgun you like, and

Practice.......Practice.....Practice

Modifiedbrowning
August 13, 2002, 12:18 PM
I agree the 1911 doesn't really float my boat either. Or revolvers for that matter. I guess I'm just a child of the 80's, Wundernines for everyone!:D

chaim
August 13, 2002, 12:30 PM
Sometimes I think that I'm odd. I haven't found a gun design yet that I didn't like (so long as it is reliable anyway), heck even the High Point carbines are growing on me. I love 1911s and revolvers. I love my CZ 75. I like the Beretta 92 (and love its looks, especially in Inox). I like the BHP. I would love to own a SIG 239. OK all I've mentioned so far are metal guns, how about plastic? Well, I'm not a huge Glock fan but I see the lure and I'll probably eventually own one (I know I'll get one of the smaller Glocks when I move to a CCW state). I definately want to eventually get one of the Springfield XDs and one of my next guns (one of my next 2 or 3) is a CZ100. Of course we all have favorites, in looks I like the classics best (1911s and revolvers) and in function I go for the CZs and revolvers.

Actually, I've thought of one exception. I hate most HKs. They just don't feel right and seem to be far too much money for what you get.

The Plainsman
August 13, 2002, 02:05 PM
I'm with you. Many, many moons ago, I had to qualify with an original version of the 1911. It was the biggest piece of junk I'd ever laid eyes on. If it had been an animal, I'd have put it out of it's misery. It rattled. You might as well have been throwing rocks as shooting .45 slugs, as inaccurate as it was. It just didn't shoot good for me at all. I got to use an S&W .38 Military & Police Special instead and it was wonderful by comparison - IMHO.

Now, before all the 1911-lovers fire up their flame-throwers, let me simply say - I'm one of those guys who had an unpleasant experience with the 1911 and never had the inclination to pick one up again. But I'm certainly not knocking those who love 'em.

So - in answer to your original question - NO. I don't think there's anything strange about you - at least not from not liking 1911's. ;)

Eric Larsen
August 13, 2002, 10:36 PM
Ive shot them on and off most of my life...they still dont feel that right to me either. CZ's and HP's are alot nicer on my hands and thus, my mind :D My favorite gun to grip is my wittle K40 which is still kinda surprising to me at times.
Shoot well

JohnKSa
August 13, 2002, 11:00 PM
The only single action pistols I own are antiques or rimfires.

Hmmm---guess that doesn't rule out 1911s--just to be clear, I don't own one and don't ever intend to.

The grip angle is awkward for me and the grip is thin to the point of being uncomfortable. Also, IMO, the only 1911 versions worth owning cost too much for what they are.

Just my opinion...

tex_n_cal
August 13, 2002, 11:16 PM
C-O-L-T

;)

I had a $1000+ Kimber, sold it and now enjoy my five Colts. This is the latest one, accurate, reliable, powerful, and good looking.:D

joenuclear
August 13, 2002, 11:17 PM
My hands like the Hi-Power best followed by the 1911 if it has stock or thinned grips. Don't like the feel of a Para or a Witness. I've owned 3 Glocks after buying into their "reliability" factor and I'd rather have a 1911 tuned than shoot any of the thick grip frame pistols. Maybe that's one reason revolvers stay so popular. You can easily fit a grip to your hand.