PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 Choices

HarryB
July 7, 1999, 12:45 AM
I've decided I want a 45-70. Why? Why not!

I would use it for hunting and informal shooting. I was considering the Marlin Guide Gun because I had heard so much positive about it but I was was thinking...

Does the short barrel cause a significant change in performance? Would the 1895SS be a better choice?

Will the porting make it significantly louder requiring hearing protection while hunting?

How about the Ruger single shot?

Why do people consider the 45-70 a short range cartridge but those with Sharps consider it a long range round?

I love the Sharps and the 1886's but I am a teacher with three kids... In fact I will probably looking to trade a SW 629 and a Mossberg 500 towards this purchase.

As usual, your great feedback I've come to expect is highly appreciated.

freefinkelmann
July 7, 1999, 08:46 AM
HarryB,

Keep the 629 and the mossberg and pick up a NEF handi-rifle in .45-70. They are going for a bit over $200 NIB and shoot great. Don't get me wrong I wish I had a Sharps or a Ruger #1 but for the bang for the buck you can't go wrong with the Handi-rifle.

My 2 cents.

------------------
lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate

Keith Rogan
July 7, 1999, 09:23 AM
I've owned a variety of 45/70's including the Sharps and recently a Marlin Guide gun.

The 45/70 is an excellent long range cartridge IF you are shooting on a range with marked, known distances. In the hunting field, you are looking at, realistically, a 150 yard rifle. The trajectory is like a rainbow.

I don't know where you hunt, but if you are shooting in open country, there are better choices. If you are a sportsman who wants the added challenge of getting in closer to the game you are after, then any of the rifles mentioned will serve you well. The Sharps and 1886 are the more historically correct rifles.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan (http://members.xoom.com/keithrogan)

Paul B.
July 7, 1999, 11:52 AM
The big advantage of the Ruger #1 over the Marlin, is you can handload much more powerful ammo. The disadvantage is, that ammo kicks like hell. I don't consider the #1's being a single shot a disadvantage.
As to whether you pick the Guide Gun or the SS model, do you hunt in an area where the shorter barrel is an advantage, or can you get along with the longer barrel? Which feels better to you?
Paul B.

slabsides
July 7, 1999, 03:04 PM
I have a Marlin 1895SS, my pard has a #1. We load them to power levels appropriate for the action strength. The Marlin at 400grs bullet/1800 fps is not as accurate as the Ruger 350grs/2000+fps. The Ruger cuts clover leafs with a 1-1/2x5 Leupold 'scope. The Marlin has peep and post sights, and shoots into about 2-1/2 inches (100 yds.) When the Guide gun came out, another club member got one. Also with irons, it outshot my 24 inch barreled gun. Blast is severe on the firing line, but wouldn't be a problem in the field. There's something very satisfying about seeing the commotion caused by those .45 bullets... :) slabsides
OH yeah...I should point out that after our first range session, my pard sent his #1 off to have a Pachmayr Decelerator pad put on, which is a great help handling recoil in this pretty light gun. The Marlin, with it's issue hard rubber butt plate, kicks me out from under my hat sometimes.
------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

[This message has been edited by slabsides (edited July 07, 1999).]

rangerco
July 8, 1999, 04:25 PM
With the range issue you got hollywood mucking things up. The Sharps was a long range rifle and seldom in little old 45/70. Usually the buffalo guns were 45/90 or 45/ 120 or 50/110 or 40/90 (for ladies) or... And they had 32 or longer barrels to burn the black powder and give sight radius. With that radius and a verineer sight, you can do some long range shooting. Scopes are less complicated to use (once sighted in). Today with smokeless you do not need 32 inches of barrel. So, you want to play "cowboy/buffalo hunter" or take it easier? Since you won't be trying for bench rest groups, try the handi rifle types and only if you have to move up. Them jacketed bullets is expensive. Lead ain't free either when you pop an ounce with each shot... ENJOY.

David Schmidbauer
July 9, 1999, 08:06 PM
>I love the Sharps but I am a teacher with three kids...<

SO! I was a Marine Staff Sergeant with 2 kids living in Alaska when I "got" mine. Got is misleading... especially with a Shiloh Sharps.

Shiloh Sharps take about 3 (or is it up to 4 by now) years from order to delivery. What you do is pay $50 (may be slightly more by now) with your order. This "reserves" you place in the production back log. Then pay some on it every month or so (or like I did when I got my Tax Return) untill it is paided off. You should be able to do this prior to it reaching production.

If your rifle costs $1550 and you put $50 down that leaves $1500. That works out to approx $42 a month or $10.50 per week.

Now... if you decide on the Marlin 1895SS let me know. I've got one, new/never been fired, that I'm looking to sell. Contact me via e-mail if you are interested.

RANGERCO > Usually the buffalo guns were 45/90 or 45/ 120 <

I may be mistaken but I believe the largest Standard Caliber Sharps rifles were made in were .45-110.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited July 09, 1999).]

Ranger1
July 10, 1999, 12:47 PM
Hello HarryB
Check out my post in this same forum under "Marlin 1895 Scout Questions". I looked at alot of options before I made my choices. As to the choice between the Guide Gun and the 1895 SS, I felt that the porting on the Guide Gun is less efficient than it could be and I personally hate a straight stock with its straight lever. You can look at my last post under that topic for my final modifications.
Also, I took my Marlin to the range last week and with a 6x scope (mounted only for range purposes, I was interested in the pure grouping ability) shot a 5 shot group with Winchester 300 HP of 1.125. In that group, there were 4 shots into appox .900 with the one flyer exempted.
I am now going to try to build up a heavy load with Laser-Cast 350 or 405's. Their bullets are supposed to be the hardest available so 1800fps with a 350 should be OK, if it groups well.
Email me if you want to talk further about mods...
Harry

Dirty Bob
July 10, 1999, 01:53 PM
There are two other advantages to the NEF Handi Rifle:

1) It can be taken down easily by removing the forend and opening the action, just like the single shot shotguns that many of us started with.
2) There are barrels available in most of the standard calibers, but they need to be factory fitted.

I haven't purchased one yet, but plan to go with .30-06. The .45-70 barrel looks fun, though...

FREEFINKELMANN: How's the accuracy in your Handi Rifle? Have you tried paper patched bullets?

Dirty Bob
Local #327, Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy

HarryB
July 10, 1999, 02:30 PM
Ranger1

I checked all the good info you and the others posted about the Scout. Choices, choices, choices...

freefinkelmann
July 10, 1999, 05:11 PM
DirtyBob,

Haven't really got seriuos shooting for groups yet but I had some around 1.5 at 100. Just finished my first batch of reloads with the cast 405grn. It is the Buffalo Classic with the 32in HB and case hardened bluing. I love that thing. Just need to get out and shoot it some more.

------------------

cornered rat
September 14, 1999, 03:36 PM
Does anyone make aperture/peep sights for the HandiRifle? How much trouble is it to install one?

Bill Mitchell
September 14, 1999, 06:33 PM
Williams makes aperture sights for the H&R rifles,the Handi Rifle and Buffalo Classic. I know the Buffalo Classic is pre-drilled and tapped from the factory,so I would assume that the Handi Rifle is the same. So,installation should be a breeze.

Bill

freefinkelmann
September 14, 1999, 06:40 PM
Cornered rat,

I have yet to find any made for the Handi-rifle, but looking at the ones in Brownell's I don't think it would be all that difficult to mount. My Buffalo Classic already has the front dovetail so that would easy.

Just for kicks I bought one of the Choate's Surviver stocks and mounted a bipod on it.....I really get strange looks at the range.
http://www.netsonic.com/rthomas/cgi-bin/webcart/webcart.cgi

Picture the thumbhole stock with a 32in HB, bipod, and scope. It's a conversation piece, and it kicks like a mule with marlin or ruger full power loads.

------------------

luckyned
September 14, 1999, 07:57 PM
Well Sir, I guess it's all in what you want the caliber to do. I would hazard a guess that most folks are after the Marlin 45-70 for hunting..and they like BIG bullets..and alittle history..maybe even used Dad's or Grampa's ol'45-70 to down the 1st deer. It ain't no modern round. It ain't flat shoot'in..but fun- it IS. I bought the SS so I could blast them .45s faster then I can with my trapdoor or my Sharps(replica)- I'm a poor Daddy. I sold the .308 so I could keep playing and still feel well armed hunting short range deer and bear. I swear the kenetic spokesmen are missing some small element in the energy/hunting theory..cause them big bullets do-do something they aren't supposed to. Get the SS if you haven't already bought the Guide- save some hearing and who needs them little holes? What recoil? That's why ol' Africa hunters had Dbl Barrels..they hoped the 1st killed but if not.. if they happen to be facing the right way after the 1st shot.. and could see they were about to be REALLY messed up they could finish themselves!

FTG-05
September 15, 1999, 03:22 PM
I have the Marlin Guide Gun and I look forward to using it for whitetail this year. It will kill anything I need killing at the ranges I plan to use it at (150 yard max, more like 100 yard).

A friend of mine just picked up the longer barreled version and that's what he likes, so whatever trips your trigger.

The vent holes will increase noise at the range and in the field, so use ear protection in either case, especially at the range.

Albin