PDA

View Full Version : enfield rifles in .308

vince weng
August 30, 1999, 10:06 AM
I plan to purchase a Enfield .308 rifle (2A No.1 MKIII or No. 7 Jungle Carbine ) from JG sales. Are they any good? Are they accurate? How accurate can they shoot (MOA?)? Since they are old rifles, I don't know if they can perform well using modern ammo. Could anyone give me any opinions and suggestions for this rifle?

Harley Nolden
August 30, 1999, 10:49 AM
Vince Weng:
The only caution I consider in these old guns going to modern day American ammo is the chambers of the old guns are pressured to 40,000 some PSI and the Americans is 50,000 some PSI.

HJN

James K
August 30, 1999, 04:48 PM
The 2A is an upgraded version of the old Rifle No. 1 Mk III. It was made at Ishapore Ordnance Factory in India of much better steel than the old rifles it resembles. The ones I have used shoot very well with both 7.62 NATO spec ammo and commercial .308, though the latter is hotter than the mil spec stuff.

You should have no problem except that the short barrel give one heckuva muzzle blast even with the flash hider. Use good quality ear protection at all times.

FYI, those "jungle carbines" are not repeat not the No. 5 rifle (in .303) which was originally given that name; they have no historical value and are simply rifles cut down by the importers and hyped up with the "jungle carbine" name. The "No. 7" is also an advertiser's hype.

Jim

Big Bunny
August 31, 1999, 12:02 AM
I am a bit concerned about the "#7 Jungle Carbine!"
Must be a real bl--dy bitsa, as the authentic one was #5! These were popular with WW2 diggers and after(Malasian Emmergency etc)as they were far lighter than the #4 for carrying purposes. The accuracy, sighting radius, recoil and flash were not!
The Indian #1 Mk3 in 7.62 NATO is made of far tougher steel and should be capable of firing any current mil ball ammo. I have not tried one but was told by a club-member they are a bit "rough" around the edges, have a poor sighting radius and can need gun-smithing on trigger and feed.
I can however highly recommend a(circa 1941... peacetime(!) Savage or Longbranch SMLE #4 MK1 or2 with peep sight, as as long as they are SSAA 'very good'(95%)and the bore is not corroded from old ammo useage - check it well...very important(incedentially the 2-groove barrels are preferred by some as more accurate), and will fire even with Mk8 ammo quite safely. Headspace is easily adjusted as on the #1 .

So, for what it is worth, from a "Smelly" enthusiast I hope you don't buy the Indian guns and instead get a genuine #1 or #4!

Bet you don't though...

------------------
***Big Bunny***