PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 or 444 Marlin

Alex T
August 20, 1999, 03:11 AM
Hi folks!

I want to get a Marlin 444SS or 1895SS. So I wondered which one of these is more fun to shoot. Ammo-cost should not make a big difference, as I could make my own.
And is there any big difference between the standard ones an the guide guns (444G, 1895G)?.
Thanks for all posts, ALEX_T

Erich
August 20, 1999, 08:56 AM
Well, the Guide Guns are a lot louder, thanks to all those little holes they put in the barrels. I got the long one because I liked the balance better (and the extra velocity, which would probably be more of an issue in the .444), but you should see what fits you the best. If you get a long one, I'd recommend getting one of the new ones *without* that Microgroove rifling mess, especially if you intend to reload - cast bullets don't like the Microgrooves.

I always thought that between the two I'd want a .444 Marlin (like a .44 SuperMag!), but I wound up getting a .45/70 1895ss last month. Main reason I went with the .45/70 was ammo availability (tho' we're not talking 9mm Parabellum vs. 9mm Largo here) and the .45/70's ability to take big, fat 405 grain bullets if I ever want to go there. In terms of ease of reloading, it seems pretty same-same to me.

You'll like whichever Marlin you pick up!

cheers,
erich

Paul B.
August 20, 1999, 01:53 PM
For me? No question. The 45-70 has it all over the .444. BTW. The Micro-groove 45-70's will shoot cast lead with a bit of experimentation. I pick the 45-70 because of the heavier bullets it will handle.
Paul B.

4V50 Gary
August 20, 1999, 02:00 PM
In my vain attempt not to have too many calibers, I bought the 45/70. Besides, if you get bored, you can always load it with black powder. But wotta mess cleaning it.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

David Schmidbauer
August 21, 1999, 04:48 AM
Alex;

If you deside on the 1895SS drop me a line. I've got a New In Box, Never been Fired one in my safe that I'll let you have for cost.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

El Chimango Pete
August 22, 1999, 08:29 PM
Schmit - at about the time you were posting that... well later actually, that morning (when do you guys sleep - posting at 0548? - unless you've moved to Australia) anyway, that morning I was busy on the phone settling with my Purveyor of weapons on a Marlin 1895 SG.

Not that it made any difference, as your safe is pretty far from here. I guess I got an urge to push heavy 45 slugs around the countryside, as I've also got hold of a Pedersoli '1863' replica Sharps 'Sporting Rifle', in .451. Ok, so its Pedersoli: If i could afford a genuine Sharps I could also afford the air fare for a quick trip to the US and back :)

Anyway, wanted the Ballard barrel, not the microgroove, as I've had a lot of trouble with leading in my Marlin 336 thurty- thurty. Just gets by with very hard alloy, gas checks and not driving too fast.

So sloshing suds and hot water around is part of the fun isn't it? Black powder also impresses the natives, with all that flash and smoke.

444 would be an ammo problem these parts - more than 45/70 anyway.

Hasta pronto

El Chimango Pete (aka Peter Knight)

David Schmidbauer
August 22, 1999, 09:28 PM
> Black powder also impresses the natives, with all that flash and smoke. <

Yep, sure is. Especially those of the fairer sex if you have a BIG smoke pole. Nod Nod, Wink Wink! ;)

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Alex T
August 25, 1999, 01:03 AM
Thanks for all your inputs.
Dear D. Schmidbauer: Thanks for the offer, but as I´m living in Austria (Europe) it would be a little difficult to trade....
Alex