PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Tactical .223 Rem Range report

Bongos
August 3, 2002, 11:24 PM
Hi Guys, just got back from the range with my new (used) Savage 110 Tactical Rifle.
The following are the specs:
Rifle:
Savage 110FP Tactical Rifle
Cal .223 Rem
Rate of Twist 1 in 9
Barrel: Heavy 24"
Scope:
Leupold 3-9x40mm VariX II

I found this rifle to hard to pass up, it was only $375 out the door. Even though it was used, it looked mint. The trigger was already lighten to 3 lbs and rings/mounts were already included (also Leupold). All I had to do was to add a scope. I will get a higher power scope later on.

Range Report:
Bench rested with Hoppes front tripoded rest, and rear was sand bag. I had 3 different weights of 223 to try. First was a Winchester 40 grn hollowpoint, this did the worst group, it was all over the place, averaging about 1.5-2" (side to side). Next was the 55 grn. SP (soft point), group best at .42", the last was .62grn SP which grouped at .52". I think these groups could have been better, the gun is more accurate than I am.

Overall impression: I am very very satisfied with my purchase... it shoots as good as my Rem 700 PSS. Now I just have to get a higher magnification scope. Any recommendations? I heard Swift is a good brand to look at.

Lefty
August 4, 2002, 07:35 AM
Weaver 6-24X scope with fine-plex reticle, $260 @ www.natchezss.com :D Tight groups!!

Bongos
August 4, 2002, 01:59 PM
Thanks Lefty for the advice, I really like the website... I'll do the research on Weaver...;)

stinger
August 4, 2002, 02:10 PM
Glad to hear you are enjoying it :)

Have fun, be safe

Stinger

O/U
August 4, 2002, 03:20 PM
I have the Savage 112v in 223. I put a Tasco 9x40 on it and it really helped. Like you though the gun shoots better than I can:rolleyes:

VictorLouis
August 4, 2002, 08:10 PM
targets shot with the same gun(don't know about the scope). Easy, sub-.5" performance with factory fodder. Needless to say, he can't wait to get a custom trigger and work up a handload.:eek: :D

Bob Locke
August 5, 2002, 01:11 AM
All my gun buddies gave me a lot of crap for buying my Savage 10FP in .308 and putting a Tasco World Class 3-9x50 scope on it.

That was right before I started shooting, and then there were three touching holes on the paper at 100 yards. :D

IMO, you simply cannot get anywhere near as good a rifle for the same price.