PDA

View Full Version : Second Front in Terror War

Seeker
July 30, 2002, 03:14 PM
July 30, 2002

US wins licence to open second front in terror war
From Tim Johnston in Jakarta

WITH militant Islamic movements in action from the Philippines to Malaysia, South-East Asia is to become the “second front” in America’s War on Terror.

Regional officials have agreed a landmark declaration of co-operation with the US that will give the Americans, which has 100,000 troops in the region, far greater latitude to operate against terrorists in their countries. It will be signed by Colin Powell, the US Secretary of State, who meets Foreign Ministers from the Association of South-East Asian Nations (Asean) in Brunei tomorrow.

Washington has become increasingly concerned about the terrorist agenda of groups based in South-East Asia and radical Islamists operating in the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore have been identified as al-Qaeda allies.

The drafting of the joint declaration has been controversial, with many Asean ministers concerned that it gives America too much leeway. The original wording said that America would act in accordance with “the principles of sovereign equality, territorial integrity and . . . non-intervention in the domestic affairs of other states”. The new wording, changed at Washington’s request, says only that it “recognises” such principles.

The agreement will also increase American financial and technical assistance for nations to fight terrorism and improve the flow of information between Pacific Rim countries.

the Rest of the Story (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-369185,00.html)

Does the US really have 100,000 troops in the area?

"...says only that it “recognises” such principles"

So the Asean ministers thought the original document gave the US too much leeway? How is the new version more restrictive? More importantly what did the US promise to gain more "leeway"?

"The agreement will also increase American financial and technical assistance for nations to fight terrorism... "
I don't suppose tax dollars will be used for this :rolleyes: and I am sure it won't increase the percetion of imperialism by the US, as I am sure that miliions of people throughout SEA are pleased as punch that the US is there to act as the worlds policeman. :rolleyes:

Also with this second front the war on terror is starting to feel more like a war on Islam - or are we about to open a third front in Northern Ireland?

Blackhawk
July 30, 2002, 03:19 PM
The new wording, changed at Washington’s request, says only that it “recognises” such principles. Which is just diplospeak for "The U.S. will do what it wants."

All in all, this is good news.

Leatherneck
July 31, 2002, 12:50 PM
Sort of a foreign hunting license. Any bag limits?
TC

Christopher II
July 31, 2002, 01:05 PM
News that our administration is about to drag the nation into yet another unwinnable, expensive, pointless asian land war does not strike me as 'good.' This globocop stuff has got to end.

- Chris

TheBluesMan
July 31, 2002, 10:00 PM
Christopher - Agreed.
Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Jamie Young
July 31, 2002, 10:22 PM
News that our administration is about to drag the nation into yet another unwinnable, expensive, pointless asian land war does not strike me as 'good.' This globocop stuff has got to end.

Until everyone of Bin Laden's sons are dead and we are sure Al Quada is completely bunk I'll stop My support for the "battle" against terrorism. Our embassies in Africa, Asia, India (southeast asia) are still targets. At the rate we've killed these SOBs in the last 8 months, lets go another year and finish them off. Anything more than another year and I'll agree with you.

I think a lot of this building bases in Asia stuff is really another "cold war" attitude focused towards China. The Chinese aren't too happy about the fact we have troops next door. How many Chinese miltary generals would have thought Kazakstan would allow American bases on their soil 2yrs ago? I doubt we're going to leave there anytime soon. Pisses the Chinese off too much. Especially after their fighter pilots proved they can't fly straight.:rolleyes: