PDA

View Full Version : Modern Black Powder rifles....

Sid Post
July 21, 1999, 06:13 AM
I do not know much about Black Powder rifles but, would like to pick one up and get the "right" one the first time ;)

I have narrowed my choices some to a 50 or 54 caliber "modern" inline rifle and am not interested in the older period looking pieces. Modern materials and construction are definite plus as reduced maintanence worries are plus.

I am thinking that either a nickle or stainless rifle with a polymer stock is the way to go. Weather shields for the ignition system are a huge plus but, concerns for weather it is legal in Black Powder deer season are not an issue as this is a pleasure gun only.

The models I have been looking at are the Austin&Halleck, Remington and, Ruger. Are there any significant differences to recommend one over the other or, have I missed another brand that is a stellar user such as the Knight rifles?

Your comments and feedback are most appreciated,
Sid

Fred S
July 21, 1999, 11:37 AM
Sid:

A few years ago I bought a Thompson Center Fire Thunderhawk with stainless barrel and poly stock. its a good gun and pretty accurrate.

Look around, you find TC guns that come in a kit with all the goodies you need for a very reasonable price.

Fred

4V50 Gary
July 21, 1999, 08:32 PM
Inline? Sinnah! Heretic! ;) Rant mode off.

For informational purposes and not to be taken for a recommendation. The inline Remington BP rifle is constructed of the same steel as their centerfire rifles. That applies to both the barrel and the receiver. The locktime is also one of the fastest.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt