PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 96???

Drjones
July 26, 2002, 03:43 PM
Hi all. I just got a Beretta 96, and WAS completely confident in my purchase, until I read a post that someone had to replace his THREE times due to cracked frame/slide!

Should I return mine for a 92 before I shoot it for the first time??? Or is this an isolated incident, a "lemon" gun, and I shouldn't worry?

On another note, the 92 is such a big gun, many complained it was too big for a 9mm. It only makes sense to bore it out to a .40 The 92 is such a great gun, in use so widely...

Drjones

jimmy
July 26, 2002, 03:50 PM
I guess any manufacturer can produce a lemon from time to time, but my experience with the Beretta 96 has been positive. I have a standard 96, a 96 Centurion, and a 96/92 Combo and am happy with them.

dgrayson
July 26, 2002, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. The 96 seems to have a pretty good record. Check out www.berettaforum.net for a lot of info on the 96. The 96 is a bit beefier than the 92 to handle the .40, so I would think it would be just fine. You can find broken guns from every manufacturer.

croyance
July 26, 2002, 04:34 PM
I have a lot of trouble believing that Beretta sent three defective slides out. I might get flamed here, but sometimes when a person has one negative experience, they cannot badmouth enough.
If you think that Beretta's are large for a 9 mm, then take a look at the H&K USP series. Maybe Cewbacca can comfortably use it, but it looks huge to me.
One advantage of the size of the Beretta is the low recoil, even compared to other 9 mm's.
By Beretta's have over 10 thousand rounds through them, but have only finish wear on the interior parts.

Skofnung
July 26, 2002, 04:41 PM
I used to own a Beratta 96, and it stood up well. My only problem with it was that it would not group worth a damn, in my hands or in the hands of others.

Perhaps it was a lemon, but from others I have spoken to, it seems to be a common problem with the 96.

If I had to have another Beretta, it would be a 92. I know those shoot straight.

Regards

Kermit
July 27, 2002, 01:24 PM
I've owned a few handguns in 40 cal. The 96fs was my favorite. Don't worry about, just shoot it & enjoy it!

Drjones
July 27, 2002, 03:18 PM
Thanks kermit!

So, is it easy being green???

;)

:p

Drjones

WOLV314
July 27, 2002, 04:26 PM
I have over 8K rounds through one of my 96's, no problems. I guess you hear about a lemon from all brands, but the 96 is a great pistol IMHO.:cool:

9mmepiphany
July 29, 2002, 06:03 PM
my 96 has been flawless and the most accurate .40 i have shot (sig 229/226, glock 22). i received it as partial satisfaction of a debt and have no idea how many rounds went throught it before me...but it was well maintained (military guy)...my cleaning habits are not quite that good :rolleyes: but i've never had a FTF or FTE in thousands of rounds.

:D

ernest langdon (beretta guru), while writing on the size/durability of the 92/96 brig (w/beefed up slide), felt that it would outlast most folks in .40 and last forever in 9mm. the advantage of the regular FS slide is that it is lighter and so moves faster. i had him rebuild the top end and replace all the springs, when he did a trigger job on it, just for piece of mind...it was <$300, including a 4th generation locking block.

you only give up 1 round to the pre-ban mags and the 10rd mags of the 96 are easy to find and afford.