PDA

View Full Version : Oh my!!!!!!!!!

Rail Gun
July 24, 2002, 08:05 PM
http://www.darpa.mil/iao/index.htm

Just look at their logo. This is bad. This is a very bad thing. :(

BenW
July 24, 2002, 08:13 PM
Well, it can be both good and bad. It always depends on how the technology is actually used. Remember that the Internet WAS DARPAnet originally (despite what Al Gore tells you). A lot of people will tell you the Internet is a great thing. Without it, we wouldn't be communicating here. But it is also open to privacy abuse.

This new DARPA initiative is a broad technology innovation push, much as DARPAnet was years ago. It can bring us marvelous new methods of information sharing and assimilation, as long as it is, as they say, used for good instead of evil.

Libertarian
July 24, 2002, 09:27 PM
I like their motto. I think it means "Awareness is Strength" I can't argue with that.

Rail Gun
July 24, 2002, 09:38 PM
Libertarian, looks to me like they want to monitor every person in the whole world. That all seeing eye thing watching it all...

Seeker
July 25, 2002, 12:59 AM
Yikes! What were they thinking?

What are they suggesting with that logo?

buzz_knox
July 25, 2002, 08:20 AM
Maybe someone just thought it was cool, since it's been on the dollar bill for so long.

Meowhead
July 25, 2002, 09:24 AM
Fnord.

pdmoderator
July 25, 2002, 09:28 AM
All hail Discordia.

- pdmoderator

Kaylee
July 25, 2002, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I imagine the logo was pretty much slapped together by "someone who thought it was cool-looking." You'ld be amazed how often that happens. I'd not put TOO much weight on it.

That said.. what the bloody Hades is "truth maintenance??"

Gotta admit, it looks ominous to me.

-K

DMK
July 25, 2002, 11:28 AM
In the logo the eye's not watching over the whole world, just Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

Maybe that paramid thing is in geosyncronise orbit. (it could happen).

WyldOne
July 25, 2002, 11:31 AM
I'm with buzz knocks. That little pyramid-eyeball is on the back of our dollar bills.....

Christopher II
July 25, 2002, 12:26 PM
Knowing DARPA, the logo is the result of an in-joke between a couple of graphic designer geeks.

- Chris

Blackhawk
July 25, 2002, 01:09 PM
Cool logo! :cool:

dischord
July 25, 2002, 01:12 PM
Kalisti

pdmoderator
July 25, 2002, 01:24 PM
That said.. what the bloody Hades is "truth maintenance??"Well, if ya really wanna know...

http://yoda.cis.temple.edu:8080/UGAIWWW/lectures/tms.html

Fancy artificial intelligence technique invented by a guy named Johann deKleer at Stanford. Supposed to separate contradictory beliefs from all others, and efficiently maintain the system of beliefs as new ones are added. Kind of nifty, really, but AFAIK not used much in practice.

- pdmoderator

pdmoderator
July 25, 2002, 01:34 PM
Knowing DARPA, the logo is the result of an in-joke between a couple of graphic designer geeks.Yup.
http://lookinside-images.amazon.com/Qffs+v35leoctw2mLHWlWivfyzH805+8Zrxw32dsz3OTTiGaP1CWyyLutkdxSBnb7Gej2yPxLbE=

- pdmoderator

Nanaimo Barr
July 25, 2002, 08:54 PM
hmm, Masons, Illuminati,secret Over Masters of the Planet, Steve Jackson Games. (the hacker school you know, Secet Service said so) DARPA. US Govt.

who else uses the eye in the pyramid?

Libertarian
July 25, 2002, 09:45 PM
Speaking of odd logos, back in the 60's early 70's AFDSDC (Air Force Data Sytems Design Center) had a penguin with the words Caveat Emptor. My dad worked with them while in the Air Force and designed the logo. It was printed on all of their documents, even the ones going to Congress and the Pentagon.