PDA

View Full Version : moving to a diff. state. Any advantage to buying before I move?

MadScientist
July 24, 2002, 12:19 PM
Looks like I'll be moving to TX from VA pretty soon. Is there any advantage to buying guns before I move? Just wondering if this will make it easier to avoid the de facto gun registration in effect. I presume buying before the move will mean that TX will never know what I have, although presumably, at the federal level they will always know (at least for items that I went through NICS for).

Ledbetter
July 24, 2002, 12:36 PM
guns are cheaper and more plentiful in Texas. You should check that out. The only time I would do what you're doing is if I was crazy enough to move to California (as opposed to just being born here).

When I leave, I'm selling all my replaceable handguns to Californians that can't buy them new anymore (Kel-Tec P32, FEG .380, etc.).

Regards.

Blackhawk
July 24, 2002, 12:40 PM
If moving to Texas, I don't see an anvantage. Texas is gun friendly.

However, buying in VA would result in the 4473s having your VA address, and you might prefer that.

Otherwise, prices in TX versus VA might not be the same, but my guess is they'd be lower in TX.

www.CDNNInvestments.com in in TX. Do they have a "will call" window....? :D

Russ
July 24, 2002, 12:55 PM
I think Ledbetter hit this one on the head. I was born in California. Moved away recently and it is remarkably easier and cheaper to get a gun where I am.

I don't know too much about Texas but I'm guess the prices there beat Virginia.

Good luck on the move. I moved accross country about 9 months ago. It's not easy or cheap. Hopefully your employer will help out with expenses.

As far a Ledbetters idea about selling all replaceable NON CA approved handguns before he leaves, I say good idea. Mark them up alot. Replace them elsewhere. Private party sales still OK

Mike H
July 24, 2002, 01:13 PM
Ledbetter - wouldn't that be illegal ?

Mike H

Jeff OTMG
July 24, 2002, 03:17 PM
It depends on how soon you want to buy the guns once you get here. You Va. CCP is not valid here and you will need a Texas DL and proof of residency to buy a gun here from a dealer. A Texas CHL can take a few months and cost nearly $300. Va. has good prices if I remember correctly, but they don't beat Texas and Oklahoma. Bottom line is if you need them NOW, buy in Va. If not, wait until you get residency here and belly up. If you have a Texas CHL you are exempt from the NICS check so the feds don't get called, if that is important to you.

Tom B
July 25, 2002, 02:55 AM
When I moved from Alabama to Georgia I had to wait 90 days before I could claim residency here to buy a firearm. I had changed my DL to Georgia so I could no longer buy a firearm in Alabama either. I was in limbo for three months.