PDA

View Full Version : WHICH AR-15, TO BUY.

12-34hom
June 29, 1999, 02:48 AM
I am looking to buy a AR-15. Am a peace officer and would use as back up weapon instead of shotgun. Work in rural setting and want some type of a carbine version of this type of weapon. Willing to spend up to 1500.00$. Have many car vs. deer accidents in the county i live and sometimes deer gets away because the deer is too far away for pistol shot, plus other varmints around ie.. packs of wild dogs, rabid animals, etc... I have a bolt gun but need something smaller and more portable. 223 caliber is what i am leaning towards, with a heavy barrel, would be shooting bullets in the 50 thru 55 grain weights.[ie..what twist rate?] Any suggestions would be welcomed as i have never owned a gas gun before. THANKS FOR ANY REPLY'S 12-34hom. - out.

CMOS
June 29, 1999, 07:55 AM
I'm on my third AR right now and enjoy them very much.

There are MANY model configurations out there so I won't bother to address specific models but rather lend my opinions on features.

As an LEO you can get a short carbine barrel - 11", 14" or shorter - but why would you? You'd have a monster muzzle blast, a reduction in long range accuracy and a slight drop in velocity. Velocity is important for the .223 caliber. IMO, stay with at least the 16". Whether you choose a 4-position CAR stock or the standard A2 stock is strictly preference.

Twist rate - The 1:7 is typically used for Competition at long ranges because much heavier bullets are used, 69-80 grains. These heavier bullets require a highter twist rate to stabelize the round. A good general twict rate is the 1:9. You can easily shoot bullets in the 50-69 grain range with very good accuracy potential (1-2 MOA easily) if you do your part ;).

I suggest sticking with a brand that has forged lowers, not cast. If you get standard A2 iron sights, have a National Match front and rear sight installed. This will reduce the diameter of the front post and give smaller increments of adjustment for elevation and windage in the rear.

One other thing, as an LEO you can have "evil features" that a civilian cannot. Choose wisely as it is possible that you may not always be an LEO (for whatever reason) and would not be able to keep a model that is considered "LEO only".

My .02 Good luck. If you have any other questions I'd be glad to help if I can.

CMOS

johnboy
June 29, 1999, 08:08 AM
Everything CMOS said is right on the money. About the only thing I can add is go with one that is as close to mil-spec as possible, so spare parts are not a problem.

I own a post ban 16 inch Bushmaster Carbine and am extremely happy with it. I do not have a need for a bayonet lug, but it would be nice to have an adjustable stock and flash hider. But I do not see spending big bucks on a preban to get them.

BigG
June 29, 1999, 11:03 AM
Pre-ban Colt. It's in your price range for an immaculate one. It is the original AR15, not built in someone's garage in their spare time. Besides, the brand name recognition, and resale value (should you ever want to part with it) with pre-ban Colt you get absolute reliability, which is what you are interested in in your line of work.

No flames about Armalite and Gene Stoner. Armalite sold the rights to Colt in 1959 (40 years ago!!!! Duh?!) We're talking about a gun that should be on the antique and curios list! :D Regards to all AR15.com brothers!

------------------
Yankee Doodle

Joe the Redneck
June 29, 1999, 04:50 PM
I have a Bushmaster and am very happy with it. If you think that a Colt is worth the extra money and you like the name, go for it. The Bushmasters are less money (8-900, no where near 1500)and very high quality. You really can't go too far wrong if you stick with any of the big companies.

Jeff White
June 29, 1999, 06:56 PM
If your chief will give you a letterhead, buy a Colt Model 6920 Law Enforcement Carbine. This is basically a semi auto version of the M4 Carbine Colt is selling to the Army.

16" 1/7 barrel, 4 position collapsible stock, M4 upper with removable carry handle (very handy if you want to mount optics) M4 handguards.

Mine didn't come with a chrome bore (big disappointment :( ) but other then that I'm extremely happy with it. I like the M4 profile barrel (heavy in front, light under the handguards) it points very well.

You should be able to get into one for between $700 - $800. Much cheaper then a preban carbine (if you can find one).
Jeff

Third demon
June 29, 1999, 09:31 PM
Take a look at Bushmaster's "dissapator".It has a 16" barrel,but the sight assembly is positioned closer to the end of the barrel(has a longer gas tube and grips)which in turn makes it more reliable like the 20" models.

4V50 Gary
June 30, 1999, 12:26 AM
If you buy a LEO rifle, it won't be yours when you retire or when you leave the profession.

It has already happened in CA where some LEOs bought some LEO type weapons. No letter from the Dept. and the dealer had some problems with his paperwork. Our benevolent friends from the BATF and State DoJ got involved, waived the big stick and all the weapons were "donated" to their respective department to avoid prosecution.

One thing about Colt though, it has name recognition and customer loyalty (despite their successive CEOs' horse sh-t politics) and easily commands more $ in the resale market. Then again, while the Y2K (& Kalif. SB23) scare is going on, any AR15 type rifle will be grabbed up.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Jeff White
June 30, 1999, 06:17 PM
Gary,
How did they buy them without a letterhead? It seems to me the dealer would be in trouble for not keeping the proper documentation.

I was told that there was a provision for the department to issue a letter upon retirement to permit retention of post ban mags and otherwise legal (before the ban) weapons. This was supposedly put in the bill to get the support of the FOP.

Jeff

B Shipley
June 30, 1999, 08:55 PM
I've heard this, and am not sure if it's BS, but Colts produced recently are not mil-spec, but have parts that are proprietary Colt and not interchangeable, hence, there is only one source for parts and you are SOL if it breaks when you really need it, as you won't get the parts at just any gunsmith or gun shop.

ProfJava
June 30, 1999, 09:01 PM
I'm a satisfied Bushmaster customer. Of course everyone wants one of these and so they are backordered dramaticly. So if you're going to get a Bushmaster you're going to have to buy a model that your local gun store has in stock. If you place an order with Bushmaster today you might see it by the end of the year the way things are going...

dZ
June 30, 1999, 09:37 PM
prices are increasing...

i bought a 20 inch a2 bushy in January for 740...

check out these prices:
BMA2T A2 rifle, 20" barrel, standard stock
$925.00
http://www.cfiarms.com /

yow!

heres a better place: http://pages.hotbot.com/biz/jcarmory/Bushmaster.html
XM15E2S - Target Model Rifle, 20 Inch BBL. Price: $734.95

good luck!

dZ

Jeff White
June 30, 1999, 10:31 PM
Yes, Colt has some proprietary parts now. They consist of bigger pins in the trigger and hammer. Both Bushmaster and DPMS sell replacement parts that will fit the new Colts.

Colt made this change in an attempt to make their product more acceptable to the gun banners. I don't agree with this, but I think it was a business decision. I still think that Colt makes the best AR. I have Bushmasters also.

If you think that Colt "sold out" by making those changes don't buy one. You have to remember though, of all the AR makers, only Colt was specified by name in the California ban.

Jeff

Johan762
June 30, 1999, 11:58 PM
B Shipley is correct about Colt manufacturing some rifles with larger pins, but you can get these pins and hammers from various sources, such as Bushmasters, DPMS, and Brownells. All you have to do is buy a couple of repair kits from the above mentioned firms, and you'll be set for two lifetimes.

Johannes

4V50 Gary
July 1, 1999, 06:20 PM
Jeff,

You betcha they bought them without letterhead. The "dealer" assured them it was OK (it wasn't). ATF swooped down on the dealer, examined the books, and along with the KA DoJ, went down the line and talked with the individual officers. Opps.

While they're all happy to avoid being charged with a Fed or State offense, and get to keep their jobs, they're all out the ducats they shucked to the dealer.

Cheatin' ain't worth it.

4V50 Gary

------------------

Stephen A. Camp
July 1, 1999, 08:06 PM
Greetings. I have a Bushmaster "Shorty", 16" bbl and fixed stock. I prefer it over my pre-ban Colt Sporter so I so the Colt and put the profits in my pocket. The Bushmaster was more accurate and has proven utterly reliable. It may just have been a fluke, but the Bushmaster appeared to have been by far the better of the two. Best.

DblTap
July 1, 1999, 10:30 PM
I ordered an Armalite flat-top carbine and one of their National Match rifles set up for CMP (the old DCM program) on 2/12/99. I'm still waiting for carbine but the NM showed up after a two month wait.

It is a very well fit rifle and has 1 MOA accuracy out of the box.

Yes, I do miss ar15.com

DblTap

------------------
If the world is a stage, where does the audience sit?

[This message has been edited by DblTap (edited July 01, 1999).]

Diverdown
July 1, 1999, 10:48 PM
I'd have no problem getting a Colt AR. I've only owned Colt brand ARs. I've never had problems with any of them. Doesn't matter what others think. I think Colts are the best.

Funny.... People trash on Colt AR's, yet they always bring the big bucks.

------------------
Michael K - NRA, MCRGO

BigG
July 2, 1999, 11:53 AM
To paraphrase Sigmund Freud, do you think the detractors may be suffering from "COLT-envy"?!? :D Love my Colts.

Note: Colt never made any money off of me, I bought all mine second-hand at substantial discounts), so y'all can do the same. My gummint models, gold cups, and AR15s will last several lifetimes, so somebody else will get to enjoy them after I'm gone... Regards!

------------------
Yankee Doodle

4V50 Gary
July 2, 1999, 09:20 PM
Colt has name recognition (every raised on cowboy movies knows about Colt) worldwide and has a strong (and probably abused by Colt's successive CEOs) following. That is the Colt advantage.

A lot of custom gunsmiths also hold Bushmaster in high regard.

------------------