PDA

View Full Version : Consolidating to two pistols (long)

FScott
July 16, 2002, 03:37 PM
Sorry for the long post but I value the opinions here (I haven't been too active recently) and I have a dilemma.

I currently own the following - Inglis Browning HP, Taurus PT-92afs, Steyr M9, Firearms International (Star) Model D .380, Bauer .25 and Ruger Mk II 5" bull barrel.

Most of these I inherited from my father (he passed away July 31 last year). My wife has been only tolerated their presence in the house, even though I keep them in a locked cabinet. After the birth of my son, she has gotten even more antsy and in a moment of compromise I indicated that I'd consolidate down to one or two which can remain unloaded, locked etc....

The problem I'm having is trying to consolidate. The only one I don't really enjoy shooting is the Browning - with some work it might improve but currently the trigger is just not much fun to use and the sa only makes it somewhat less appealing to have around. My pros/cons on the others:

Taurus - love shooting it and I have 4 15 round mags for it. Good for target practice and for home defense (assuming I can get it out and load it... don't get me started). Cons - large. I am in the process of getting my ccw in case I decide to carry (and can reach an agreement on that with the wife) and the Taurus is of no use in that arena.

Steyr - like shooting it, it's accurate and has been quite reliable, is capable of being a ccw. Cons - 10 round mags, Steyr uncertain future and the lack of a firing pin safety (hence worry about carrying it with one in the pipe).

FI .380 - my father taught me to shoot with this pistol so it has some sentimental value, it is reliable and small enough to carry. Cons - 6 rounds, sa only (and an old design that makes me less than comfortable cocked and locked) and it's pretty heavy for its size.

Bauer .25 - again a pistol I always remember my father having and carrying (he was a coin dealer and would tote around case of coins in the pre ccw days and keep this or the .380 with him). Cons - He never fired it as far as I know and I've tried a few times with little success (jammomatic). Plus a very poor design to carry cocked and locked since there is a very marginal retainer on the firing pin. Neat little design but of minimal practical use.

Ruger MkII - fun, fun, fun to shoot and fun to one day teach my son to shoot (which I will do, firearms safety is important not only for him in our home but if he's in someone else's home). Cons - no use for carry of home defense really.

I was initially going to keep the Taurus and the Ruger. However, I've had trouble parting with the FI .380 (purely for sentimental reasons) and I'm not sure the Taurus and Ruger are my best options. I do like 9mm, I've not had great success with the .40 or .45. Also, I have a relatively small hand so grip size matters (although the bulky PT92 grip fits me reasonably well...)

So the question - do I keep two that I currently have and if so, which two? Or do I sell them all and get one other pistol as a best compromise of all worlds (something like a CZ-75 pcr, Glock 19 or perhaps even a used HK USP compact)?

Thank you in advance for your input and suggestions!

FScott

22x9
July 16, 2002, 04:09 PM
Have you thought about getting a safe deposit box at a bank and storing your sentimental pistols there? That way you can keep them in the family and make your choices a little easier. In other words you would only need to get rid of 1 pistol, which I guess will be the Steyr(based on your descriptions).

That was one of my options when my wife was throwing a fit about my smallish collection.

teombe
July 16, 2002, 04:13 PM
Heres what I would do:

Have a heart to heart with your wife, and let her know that it is imperative that you keep the 3 pistols your father gave you. You seem to be really attached to these, and rightfully so. She should understand the sentimental value. Just promise her that you'll purchase trigger or cable locks & keep them permanently locked up.

Sell the Steyr and the Taurus as gestures of goodwill and compliance.

Then, let her know that you don't feel safe in the house without a HD weapon, and that the .380, the .25, and the .22 will not cut the mustard. Use the money you got from selling your Steyr & Taurus, and buy a Sig (220 or 226) or a HK USP. Buy a GunVault for safe loaded keeping near your bed, and do as much desensitization :D to your wife as you possibly can.

If she's never gone to the range, take her. Explain the mechanics of how things work, and eventually, she will realize her 'antsiness' is unfounded.

After a few years, you should be able to buy/sell/trade at will, pending you have a safe that will pass the 'wife inspection'.

zxc
July 16, 2002, 04:18 PM
Those things are a bridge to your past. Have an air rifle and 3 motorcycles rusting away just because of my old man. The wife/kid factor doesnt even go there.

hube1236
July 16, 2002, 04:30 PM
Keep the Taurus and the .380. Rugers will be around forever and when your son is old enough to shoot, this is the one to (rebuy) and teach with. You did not assign a sentimental value to the Ruger, so I am assuming that it is just the fun thing you will be missing.

OR

Sell enough to buy a safe- she'll never know what's inside if you do not tell her!

OR

Reaquire your bags & lock her back in the closet until she learns some manners and her place in the MAN's home.

OR

Keep the Steyr - there is so much inherent safety in the gun, you can carry in the tube. I do not understand reservations. + It is a nine and not a heavy recoiler, she may be able to fire that too someday if something were to happen and she wanted to carry too.

OR

Punch a hole in the wall in the attic and hide them there for 15 years,

Shake
July 16, 2002, 05:03 PM
Honestly, I have a real problem getting rid of even one firearm.

Are you getting rid of them for any monetary reasons? If not, I would not part with any of them.

I'm presuming the only factor involved is your wife's fear of having so many in the house? If so I would offer to dismantle all but two. Clean the rest, field strip them, prepare them for long term storage, and lock them up. Separate the parts into two separate locations, or whatever you have to do to make her feel at ease.

I really don't think you should even consider getting rid of those that have sentimental value. Do what you can to calm her fears, but don't lose items that remind you of good times with your father.

If you have to, give them to a trusted friend for safe-keeping.

Shake

kdmoore
July 16, 2002, 06:47 PM
First of all I'd like to say I'm sorry to hear of your fathers passing. Seems like you have some good memories! There is a special connection between father's/son's and guns. I think it's hard for non-gun owners to understand. If I outlive my dad, the only thing that I care about are his firearms. His favorite was a .22 rifle that he was given as a boy. I just realized that my son's have never shot it (they only recently started shooting my .22, and recieved a bb gun), and will definitely make a point of it the next time we go to visit.

I truly think you'll regret getting rid of the sentimental ones for a long time (even the jamomatic) so my advice too is about keeping them. To the other great suggestions I'd add: Do you have a friend that would buy them from you with an agreement not to sell? Something nominal like a buck or two?

If your wife doesn't like the above (she has agreed to 2, so she doesn't seem irrational, and if you are willing to part with the others you've given in a bit too) As a VERY LAST resort consider offering a permanent disabling. I'd much rather plug the barrel and mount it on my office wall than to loose the connection.

EKhawaii
July 16, 2002, 07:32 PM
[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]!!hube1236 :mad:
"Reaquire your bags & lock her back in the closet until she learns some manners and her place in the MAN's home."

I thought this was a discussion of cosolidating a collection, not showing the world how ignorant you are...

Most women have negative attitides or fear of guns due to lack of experience, or even worse, a bad experience with some one improperly training them. Or using a gun that they weren't comfortable with due to to large a grip, too high a caliber.

No matter what state you live in, Local gun shops or your state branch of the NRA can point you to classes that she can take, even better if the are classes for women taught by women instructors. If she gains experience & knowledge, she will be more comfortable and realize that she and your son are indeed safer with the guns in your house than without them.

Show her this website:
http://paxtonquigley.com/

Buy her the book (Amazon.com carries it)

And actually, a Glock 19 or 17 is a very good choice for a woman, 9mm has little recoil and the grip fits smaller hands well. So buy her her own "baby" to get used to, practice with and feel confident with.

branrot
July 16, 2002, 07:46 PM
I think teombe gives excellent advice. I'd add unless money is really tight, that you're really not going to get much for the Star or Bauer. Can't see the point in selling them. You won't get much for them. The sentimental value will definately outweight the cash value. Unload 'em, clean 'em, and lock 'em up. Regarding taking her to the range, I've taken a few former girlfriends who were skeptical about my interest in guns. While they didn't all run out to get their CCW permits, they all seemed to enjoy it, and felt more comfortable around the guns after.

I like hube1236's advice regarding the Ruger. Do that!

Finally, while I love the Glock 19/23, the Sig P22X series, and the Walther P99, none of them have safeties. Not that you really need one, but they might make the wife feel more comfortable. In fact, I think an HK USP Compact is an excellent choice, particularly if you get a newer one with the internal lock. Only downside to the USPc is that it is tough to find 13 rounders for it. They're there, but rare.

Mannlicher
July 16, 2002, 07:57 PM
Dump the wife, throw a party, buy more guns. Only half kidding.

hube1236
July 16, 2002, 08:06 PM
Welcome EK! First post ever started with a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], I think I found my soulmate.

Let's say it slowly, "SARCASM!" :p

EKhawaii
July 16, 2002, 09:19 PM
hube1236,:eek:
I am REALLY sorry about that! We need a sarcasm smile ;-P

I just get my dander up when it comes to womens issues w/ guns. Because I am a woman, and have put up w/ alot of crap about my love for shooting, from women and men. One of the main reasons I got into teaching is that I wanted to get more women aware of what real gun safety is all about and away from the frippin Million Mom March mentality. Same thing w/ teaching kids, the better educated anyone is about guns at any age the less problems we'll have (hopefully)

However, if somebody is rabidly anti-gun, they are only going to block out all the statistics, safety etc. from pro-gun people, no matter what you do.

Sorry if I came across as a biatch;)

My personal opinion is the more guns the better. My Mom says "It used to be so easy to shop for your birthday and Christmas at Neiman's." Now she just sends me a gift certificate to "Young Guns' (local shop)

Aloha from Hawaii

dragon1965
July 16, 2002, 10:44 PM
I lost my Dad when I was 13...I was sooo young and in so much shock that most of the things I would have wanted to keep from Dad "disappeared" including his guns...I regret it to this day !!!!

Work it out and keep anything you can that makes you think of your Dad.

Dragon

ATTICUS
July 16, 2002, 10:55 PM
Be a responsible husband and father and do the right thing...LIE.

Buy a Homak gun safe, put the pistols in it, hide the key, tell her you sold them. There ya go!

But if you do cave in, then keep the HP and anything sentimental.
Good luck.

"Bauer .25 - again a pistol I always remember my father having and carrying (he was a coin dealer and would tote around case of coins in the pre ccw days and keep this or the .380 with him). "

Ahhhh.....The good old days, before CC (concealed carry permits) replaced CS (common sense) and every citizen had a right to self defense.

Selfdfenz
July 16, 2002, 11:21 PM
hold out hand
prepare to receive 2 more cents worth.
This may just be a no brainer.
Go to Walmart and look at their fireproof safes. You can get a good one well less than 200 dollars that will hold ALL OF THESE GUNS. With a combination lock no less. That will fit in the corner of a closet no less.
If she is still being a PIA, figure out one critical part and remove it from each pistol and store those parts someplace else. Do I need to say that not having ammo around for the ones you don't plan to shoot also puts you on the high ground here. Store other ammo someplace else besides with the guns etc etc. locked up etc etc etc.
The safe will then contain LOCKED UP, NON FUNCTIONAL GUNS.
Then tell her since she has "insisted" that you make all our firearms non functional you need to buy a functional CZ75.:D
(and a 12 gauge too)

Give her a test:
Stand her up near the safe, hand her a firing pin and tell her all but two numbers of the combination.
If she can get in the safe, dis- and reassemble any one of the weapons with that firing pin and then find one round of ammo anywhere in the house that fits that weapon you will get ride of them.

When she can't pull it off ask her when she thinks the child will be able to pass thsi test.

There is more to this than her concern for the child's safety.
Power thing.
Nutball thing.
Gun hater thing.
Female dominance thing, I don't know, but more kiddos die of poisioning and drowning than "firearm accidents" each year.

BTY how IS her babyproofing of the house coming?

S-

Rant mode off....she sounds just like my EX.
Besides sentimental reasons.....we may be soon approaching a time when ANY gun is hard to acquire. Don't get rid of something you may need someday yet not be able to replace....not an exercise in wisdom. Also, you never cut the yellow on these.

SkarodoM
July 16, 2002, 11:25 PM
If it only takes one to hurt the little one (one would assume that's her greatest fear), then either get rid of all of them, or keep them all.

Ditching a few as a show of compliance/goodwill doesnt make a whole lot of sense IMHO.

Growing up, my old man had rifles/shotguns primarily, but none were locked away. As an infant, there's absolutely NO WAY I could have loaded/chambered a round even if I wanted to & even as a small child when I knew it'd be my ass if i messed with dad's stuff.. the worst that could have happened is that a rifle could have fallen over on me. Either one is a moot point, as pops always kept ammo somewhere I couldnt go.

She needs to understand that it's an inanimate object - a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Without ammunition, it's about as dangerous as any other hefty object around the house. Ditching them is akin to an admission of guilt.. a nonverbal way of saying she's right.. guns are dangerous, not the careless people who harm themselves/loved ones through negligence.

IMO, i'd try to get her to understand that guns arent evil... they arent plotting your demise while you're sleeping at night, & her worries arent even issues provided you take the simplest of gun safety steps... lol, and if the kid is a lil hellraiser, buy a safe & lock them up... god knows you cant spank'em anymore, that's abuse, lol. Besides, what's she gonna do.. divorce ya over it? ;)

MeekAndMild
July 16, 2002, 11:45 PM
FScott, if your wife is antsy try reading my long post on this other thread (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121416). Then tell her if she wants to get serious about the baby's safety she needs to enroll him in a swimming class and stop focussing so much on the locked up guns.

Then start planning together how to gun proof the child once he is safer around water. The swimming will show her she can control his risks and then she will feel more confident about teaching him gun safety.

And send her to the Red Cross to learn the Heimlich maneuver. The risk of him choking on a candy ball or weiner is nearly 100% some time before his second birthday.

hube1236
July 17, 2002, 05:13 AM
EK - no you did not come across wrong. I laughed harder reading your reply than I did writing it originally. Sorry, my wife has a big problem with my sense of humor too!

Keep the Steyr and the 380 at least- you get practicality and sentimental.

If not sell me the steyr. I would be proud to shoot it.

kbsrn
July 17, 2002, 05:54 AM
Lock them up. Take her shooting. Start small and work up. My wife now has her .45 and really likes my 625. I may have to hide it.

Kharn
July 17, 2002, 08:03 AM
I suggest you check the phone book for gun stores, especially ones with an indoor range. Lots of indoor ranges typically give out free training to women, so try to find one of those. Ask them when the range is least used on a weekend (probably right around when they open) and make an appointment for someone to teach your wife how to shoot your Ruger.

Also, take your wife to Walmart, and just happen to end up in the file cabinets section. There will be a collection of safes there, for anywhere from $50 to $150, that should to be adequate for your needs. If she's super-paranoid, get one with both a combination and key lock.

Kharn

GunsnRovers
July 17, 2002, 08:32 AM
If she is serious about the guns being unsafe, what makes you think only having two will satisfy her? She'll see them or be reminded of them, and then you will be pressured to dump the remaining ones as well.

Find out what's going on and help her understand that 1 gun or 10, it's irrelevent. Get a safe and lock them up. Either the guns are secure in the safe or they are not. If the child gets into the safe, how is one gun and less dangerous then 10? If you raise a child that is going to be getting into places like a gun safe where he/she shouldn't, then you've got bigger issues to tackle.

Get a decent safe for the guns. Show her that you understand her concerns and are going to take the proper steps to make sure nothing happens to your child. I assume, based on the fact that your posting here, that you are concerned for the childs safety as well. It sounds like your wife doesn't trust your judgement.

You two need to sit down and talk. She's OK with you having a CCW, but not a gun in the house? She trusts you to carry around with total strangers, but does not trust you around your family? What's going to happen if you're carrying and she and the baby are around? I don't think your compromise is going to end this debate in your house.

Of course, this is all an opinion and I don't know you from Adam, but... :)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jeff

ps - I've had a few of these discussions with my wife both before and after our son was born.

Wasteofmoney
July 17, 2002, 10:02 AM
I have no emotional attachment to your guns and am basing my reply strictly on what you have stated as your future gun desires.

You plan on looking at CCW options yet your CCW platforms are unreliable, lack firing pin safeties, are SA only (comfort factor) or are too large. Your best home defense option(Taurus) is a fine weapon for this but will not suffice for CCW.

I would sell everything but the MK II and use it for cheap target practice and instructing your children/wife firearm safety/recreation.

I would use the money gained from your firearm sales to purchase a decent CCW/home defense weapon of 9mm, .357 SIG or .40 cal. I would look closely at the Sig P-239, Kahr K- series, or a Sig P-229. Any of the similar Glocks would also be fine. Also, a good quality pistol safe that can be accessed easily would increase the comfort zone.

By doing this you have: 1).reduced alot of the "guns, guns, everywhere!!" friction between you and your wife; 2). acquired a viable home defense option; 3).filled the CCW option that you are seeking.

The sentimental tug has not been addressed here but I feel that any firearm you own should be safe, reliable and viable. Other than the Taurus and the Ruger, I feel that this criteria is not filled.

Anyone telling you to disregard the strong feelings of your wife, no matter why she has these feelings(ignorance/just a bad feeling with guns) is not looking out for your best interests. :( If there was no friction from your wife, I too would be recommending to keep every safe, reliable weapon that you own if you so wish. But this is not the case.

Good luck.

FScott
July 18, 2002, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. To clarify, my wife is not ready for me to CCW, I'm trying to take one step at a time with her on this subject but want to have the option in the future.

I do have a Mossberg 12 gauge HD with a cable lock and 7 shells of #8 shot loaded for home defense. For some reason she's more comfortable with this than the pistols...

Waste hit the nail on the head, it's almost more the quantity of pistols rather than the presence of them at all. Not entirely rational (and interestingly she's normally quite rational) but she basically can't understand why I need so many. She does understand that they were my father's and has been patient, and might buy into selling a few and using the $ for a good safe.

The interesting thing is that her father had numerous shotguns, rifles and pistols in the house in a gun cabinet in the den. Granted she had a falling out with him so it may be the loose association, but it's not like she grew up in an anti gun home or something...

Anyway, I'm leaning towards keeping the .380 for sentimental reasons and looking into something along the lines of a CZ PCR, Sig 2** or HK USP Compact to have around. One of the partners here and I go shooting occassionally...

SixGunner
July 18, 2002, 11:56 AM
Field strip several of them and store them this way. Then it goes like this:

Your wife: "Honey, I thought you agreed to get rid of all but one or two guns! Why are these here?"

You: "Those aren't guns. Those are gun PARTS!" :D

If she isn't into guns at all she won't know the difference anyway.

DISCLAIMER: The author of this post is not responsible for any ramifications stemming from following the advice herein. This includes but is not limited to sleeping on the couch, lack of cooking by the offended party or a frying pan upside the head.

hdm25
July 18, 2002, 03:51 PM
Keep the guns, lose the wife.

Bob Locke
July 18, 2002, 08:12 PM
Make the sentimental ones "collector pieces" by removing from the house any and all ammo in their respective calibers. If she understands that there's no way for them to be "used" (and if she's as rational about other matters as you claim), that ought to be good enough. Then REALLY stock up on the two "keepers"! :D

And while you should certainly be respectful of her feelings on the matter, the opposite is also true. If she had something passed down to her from her mother that held some sentimental value and you all but demanded that she be rid of it, how would she feel?

Onslaught
July 19, 2002, 09:39 AM
Make the sentimental ones "collector pieces" by removing from the house any and all ammo in their respective calibers.
Excellent idea Bob!

I know where you're coming from, as far as new child on the way. Before our daughter was even born, I had invested in 2 beside pistol safes, (one for each side of the bed) and locked all the other guns up in a cheap Homack safe, locked in a closet in another room.

Listen, my father, who is in his 60's, still has the S&W .32 revolver that belonged to HIS father... The nickel plating is mostly gone, and it's an ugly pistol (IMO) but it's his most prized firearm. He keeps it locked up in his safe, in one of the "Jewelry" drawers, and has 6 "original" rounds in the drawer with it. He wouldn't part with it for a million bucks. When he passes, in 30 or 40 years, I will treat it the same way.

There are so many of his guns that I remember shooting as a child, and I would never part with a single one of them. I don't like revolvers, lever or pump rifles, etc, which all of his guns are... but I'll keep 'em till I die, and my "then 29 year old 2nd or 3rd wife" :D will sell them and blow the cash on a Vegas vacation, but that's life....

Keep every single pistol that you mentioned and had the words "I remember my father ....." in the sentence. Sell one of yours if you need to (I'd sell the Steyr) and do as mentioned a dozen or more times already. Top of the line Homack, or a Mid-grade century safe would be in the "Steyr" price range.

If your wife loves you, she'll understand.

mini14jac
July 19, 2002, 10:14 AM
Don't give up hope.
My wife wasn't anti-gun when we married, but she didn't like guns very much either.

I made it clear that my guns and shooting were as much a part of me as my rock hard abbs, (;) ).
Gradually, I pointed out the double speak in the media, the lies, and the facts.

I took her shooting with some balloons and other reactive targets.
I talked to her about gun safety, her safety, our safety.

A few years ago, she took her CCW class. :D
It helped a lot that we found a shop owned by a woman, who taught the CCW classes.

Hold your ground, but use your head.