PDA

View Full Version : DWM 7mm Mauser

HM3
April 28, 1999, 06:17 PM
I've got the milsurp jones goin' and am seriously considering the DWM '95 Chilean Mauser that Samco Global has in "very good" condition. At $89.95, is this a good buy? What should I expect in terms of quality, and can this rifle handle standard new 7mm fodder from companies like Federal or Wichester?

------------------

Keith Rogan
April 29, 1999, 12:04 AM
HM3,

I used to own a DWM 95 Chilean Mauser and...it was really an excellent rifle. The sights suck - just awful. But the one I had had an excellent bore and was really quite accurate when I scoped it. This was a while back but I think it was shooting about 1 1/2 inches with factory ammo.
I always thought it would make an excellent basis for a scout rifle. Cut the barrel down to about 20 inches, mount a long eye relief scope on it and you'd have and excellent deer/general purpose rifle.
I'm not sure about reloading the model 95's with some of the hotter loads - thats a question I'd ask down in the gunsmith area. The ONLY problem I really had with my model 95 was the antiquated sighting system. The sights were just not usuable except for bench rest shooting.
The model 95 Mauser (or model 93 - same damned rifle) beat the crap out of the American forces Krag rifles imn the Spenish American war. They're good rifles.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan (http://members.xoom.com/keithrogan)

Paul B.
May 1, 1999, 01:27 PM
Keith. The Mauser models 93, and 95, are considered weak actions that should not have reloads stronger than what the factories put out. I think some factories are now making a plus P round in 7x57, but I don't think those should be used in these older Mausers. They lack the third locking lug of the later model 98's.
You're right about one thing though. I had a model 93 that was made into a sporter, and it was one hell of a nice rifle. I traded it to a guy, who hot loaded it, and blew it up. He's now missing a chunk of his face. Just a word to the wise.
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

James K
May 1, 1999, 02:26 PM
The German made Chilean 95 and Spanish 93 are better made than the Oviedo 93. They are not as strong as the '98, but will take pressures into the 45k range easily and seem to take up to 50k.

A lot of those '93-'95 rifles were modified for .308 and stayed together, though I don't recommend that conversion. The third lug of the '98 really has no effect on strength, since it is a safety lug and will only bear in the very unlikely event the main lugs fail.

Paul B., I think your friend's load must have been more than just hot. The 7mm proof load is 70-75k, so he must have had a way out load or a defective gun to blow up that way.

Jim

HM3
May 2, 1999, 04:30 PM
Hi guys!

Don't plan to run "+P" ammo through this ole war horse. I have more resect than that! What I would like is a rifle that I can hunt deer, pigs, and other non-dangerous(relatively speaking) game, and a rifle that is a piece of history. I would also like it to be accurate, say about 1" - 2" at 100 yds, so that I can participate in some military rifle competition.

Also, one of my biggest fears is that the Klinton Administration is going to clamp down so tightly on us gun owners that purchasing another rifle, or any gun, is going to require security checks that rivals checks for top secret clearances!

Keith Rogan
May 2, 1999, 08:31 PM
HM3,

I've shot and hunted with the 7mm Mauser for years. I started with a Chilean 95 just like you are considering buying and I now hunt with a Ruger #1 in 7mm Mauser.

I'd follow the advice on sticking with factory level loads in your 95 - hell, its over a hundred years old!
I've taken dozens of deer and even a caribou - a 600 pound Mulchatna caribou with the 7mm Mauser (that was with a hot handload however). DWM Bell took hundreds of elephants using ear shots and solids with his 276 Rigby (British designation for the 7mm Mauser).
Federal makes an excellent premium cartidge with Nosler Partitions that will knock down any deer on earth and its perfectly safe in your 95.
The only problem you're going to have is replacing the sights and thats a real Pain because if you go with a standard scope you'll have to bend the bolt and do a lot of other expensive work. You can buy one of those real high scope mounts but they are a real pain for a number of reasons - its not a good way to go.
If I was you, I'd have the barrel whacked off to 22 inches or so and mount a burris scout scope mount and a Leupold M8 like on the Steyr Scout rifle. It'll save you a lot of money and trouble and you'll love the setup once you try it.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan (http://members.xoom.com/keithrogan)

HM3
May 4, 1999, 06:48 PM
Guys, I have a small dillema that needs your advice to resolve. In order for me to get the Mauser, I'll probably have to sell my Mossberg 835.

I have the Mossberg loaded with 00 buck for home defense. I also have a Winchester '94 stoked as well. Should I sell the Mossberg to get the Mauser and keep the '94 as my primary home-defense weapon?