PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is a 'Lady' Kahr?

Chris W
July 5, 2002, 02:59 PM
A nearby shop has a Kahr K9 that is also labeled, on the right side of the slide, 'Lady K'. I've looked at and even handled regular K9s before, but there isn't one at this shop to do a straight side-by-side comparison, so I'm wondering what exactly (other than the inscription) makes this gun any different from a regular K9? I think it's all matte stainless, and has the normal 3.5" barrell and 7+1 capacity. So anyone know what's so feminine about it? Does it have some different dimensions, or what? I can't find any hint that such a thing has ever existed on Kahr's website. Thanks to any Kahr nut who knows and will share!

Chris

harbinger
July 5, 2002, 03:44 PM
16 lb. recoil spring weight, smoother trigger pull. I believe the gun is rated only for standard velocity ammo.

Chris W
July 5, 2002, 03:50 PM
Harbinger--if you're still there, what would it do for the gun to give it a differetn weight recoil spring? Would this be a higher weight, to 'absorb' more recoil, or a lower weight, since you're not supposed to shoot high-powered stuff out of it anyway? Thanks a lot.

Chris

harbinger
July 5, 2002, 04:14 PM
Whern the first K9 came out, they came with a 24 lb recoil spring, which was soon lowered to a 20 lb one. Utilizing the 16 lb spring in the Lady version made it easier for a woman, ( or anyone not built like hercules) to rack the slide. :)

Chris W
July 5, 2002, 04:19 PM
Makes sense! Now if I can stretch my brain, let me try this: a little gun like the Kahr would only need such a stiff recoil spring in the first place because the slide is too small to have sufficient inertia to absorb enough force not to snap the user's wrist, right? Am I in the ballpark? Well, either way, thanks, harbinger.

harbinger
July 5, 2002, 04:28 PM
Yep. They originally used that powerful recoil spring so that the gun could fire hot +P and +P+ 9mm ammo without beating itself to death. Using the lighter spring made it more user friendly, while limiting it to standard pressure ammo. Hope this helped.

Swamper
July 5, 2002, 08:07 PM
A Lady Kahr is one, simply, that has nice curves and an easy feel.

:)

Have a great weekend

bigdaddycool
July 5, 2002, 09:02 PM
other than the spring weight & smother trigger it's the same gun. if you wanted to shoot +p ammo just put in the heavier spring

Chris W
July 5, 2002, 09:47 PM
Great to know, bigdaddycool--it's mine now (or rather it's my wife's now), but I'm glad to know about the possibility of replacing the spring.

Greybeard
July 5, 2002, 10:01 PM
I believe the "Lady" K-9 was dropped a few years ago, altho as others have said, not a lot of difference except recoil spring and engraving. I bought one several years ago as "lady" training gun and like it so well, it went IWB for over 2 years. Got "standard" recoil spring and it ran Corbons just fine.

Even with lightest recoil spring tho, it can be tough for some to operate slide lock in normal fashion ... Can also be a little tricky fist time taken down. Suggest you get on Kahr web site and order the little orange widget for precise positioning of slide for removal of pin. They did not ship with older guns, but can really be worth the $5 or so. Also note Kahr's recommendation of recoil spring replacement every 2000 rounds ... I bet you and wife will like "The Lady" - once you get acclimated to that smooth "4 mile trigger pull".

Eric Larsen
July 6, 2002, 08:07 AM
Greybeard....My gunsmith took my trigger pull to a very light and smooth 3.25 mile pull :D
If you get the lady K and replace the recoil spring you have a K9.
Id get it..nice gun. Shoot well

Chris W
July 6, 2002, 04:21 PM
Took wifey and the Kahr 'lady k' to the range today, and a good time was had by all. She had never shot before, so we started her off on the S&W 617, 6", shooting CBs. Then built up to regular 22 LR, and then took the big jump up to 9mm. First clip, she was a bit shakey, but then took to it like a song. It's a lot of fun to watch someone's apprehension melt away in the pleasure of shooting a good gun. The Lady K shoots remarkably straight for a pistol of its size, and the steel frame helps keep the recoil down. Mrs. W shot 100 rds of hardball and came away feeling great. The slide was a bit difficult for her to work, even with the reduced spring, so it seems like a good idea of Kahr's; I wonder why they discontinued it? At any rate, I'm glad we got it and look forward to watching Mrs. W shoot it often in the future (she's hot to join the local club now!). I wonder if I'm going to have to get a Kahr of my own?

Chris