PDA

View Full Version : Sig P220 Barrel Cleaning Problems

N8D
July 4, 2002, 04:54 PM
Hello all. I have a new Sig P220 (300 rounds on it) I clean my weapon after every range visit. I use a great cleaner MG-77 or something like that, I clean my gun very thoroughly. I use a plastic brush to clean the barrel and no matter how many passes or how much I let the barrel soak, I can't ever get the barrel looking new, or at least with no carbon deposits. What can I do to get that friquin' barrel clean?!

IanS
July 4, 2002, 05:01 PM
Never heard of MG-77. But for many years I've used Hoppes (love that smell;) ) and recently I've switched to M-Pro7 which works just as well.

Try a product called a Bore Snake in conjunction with your favorite cleaner. Its foolproof, easy to use, and cleans your barrel with a few passes. Cost: $15-20.

www.brownells.com Search under "Bore Snake" or "Hoppes"

N8D
July 4, 2002, 05:07 PM
Thats it! I sound like a dumb ass, but I use M-pro 7...I have heard of the bore snake. I will order one today and hopefully that will help out.

N8D
July 4, 2002, 05:08 PM
How is that OTIS gun cleaning system?

CWL
July 4, 2002, 05:14 PM
Try using .50cal bronze brushes to clean the bore of your .45.

Plastic is OK, but just can't scrub as well as bronze (no steel brushes of course).

Walter Sobchak
July 4, 2002, 05:29 PM
Looking Clean or having the patches come out clean?

Keep in mind that if you do not clean your brush or cleaning rod your putting "junk" back into the barrel. Also if you dip your dirty brushes or patches into your cleaning solution you are contaminating it. I shoot my brass brushes down with carb cleaner and then compressed air.

BTW. I have a P220st waiting for me at my local shop. Gotta love SIG :p

WESHOOT2
July 4, 2002, 05:41 PM
I use a patch cut from Kleen-Bore cloth. When bore shines like mirror I clean residue COMPLETELY using saturated patches. After final patches come out SQUEAKY CLEAN I use sloppy-wet TetraLube patch. After THAT dries, I run some dry patches through.

The treated cloths are abrasive, and will accelerate wear if used injudiciously.
Your results may vary.

Yes, I actually (rarely, real rarely) clean my handgun barrels.

blades67
July 4, 2002, 10:04 PM
Get an Outer's Foul Out II. It'll run you about a C-note and do all the work for you.

Ala Dan
July 4, 2002, 11:57 PM
Lot's of real good opinions here; but NOTHING ever
touches my Sig P220's bore except "Break Free CLP". I
use it exclusively for cleaning and lubrication on all my
fine firearm's.:D :cool: :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

RWK
July 5, 2002, 07:53 AM
If you don't mind my asking, what kind(s) of .45 ACP ammunition are you using? I ask because I shoot a lot of .45 -- from four 1911A1s, a Glock 36, an H&K USP, and a Sig P-220 -- and I never have a problem cleaning any of the barrels. It's possible that an ammunition change will make your after-practice maintenance considerably easier.

Eric
July 5, 2002, 08:58 AM
"I use a plastic brush to clean the barrel "
Toss the plastic brush. Use bronze or brass, no stainless. MP7 works well and does not stink up the house.