PDA

View Full Version : DA vs SA

yukon999
June 28, 2002, 04:30 PM
I am fairly new to the handgun community and I wanted to know what the advantages/disadvantages are to them. Also what are the advantages/disadvantages to having or not having a decocker.

Thanx in advance

Yukon

CP220
June 28, 2002, 04:56 PM
It is all a matter of preference really.

Most single action users are very good at swiping their safety on their pistol while they are clearing leather. By the time their pistol is on the target, they are ready to fire.

With double action, the decocker works to keep the round in the chamber but without the chance of an AD. For example, my SIG has no safety, so I decock it and holster it. When I draw, I fire the first round double action, and there is no safety to worry about.

Try out a couple of each, and see what works best for you
:)

Bacchus
June 28, 2002, 05:04 PM
Some semiautomatic handguns are available in either DA or SA, whereas others are DA only, some have a decocker, and others are available in SA only. Your question is broad, so I'll take first stab at it.

Single Action only: similar to the 1911 style handguns that shoot SA only. The hammer is already cocked back and so doesn't have as far to travel when you squeeze the trigger. Theoretically, the trigger should be smoother in SA than DA.

Double Action only: usually longer trigger pull, some people think that SA is unsafe, but it's not as long as you follow the rules of gun safety.

A decocker takes the gun from SA mode and will lower the hammer without firing the gun--the advantage is that you can make the weapon safe with the decocking lever. Decockers are nice, especially if your weapon fires in DA and SA mode.

Blackhawk
June 28, 2002, 05:09 PM
These two threads have some interesting points in them:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119079
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118738

the duck of death
June 28, 2002, 06:31 PM
A semiauto with any kind of a trigger needs constant attention. By that I mean you must be aware of the gun at all times never forgeting that when it goes bang its ready to go bang again right now. This is why I don't recommend a auto to a new shooter. If a new shooter insists on an auto they should get instruction on gun handling. I hope this doesn't cover old ground for you but even if it does it never hurts to review safety proceedures. Just be aware that most AD/ND are caused with the semiauto. The DAO is probbably the safest of the lot and it is the hardest to master, next comes the DA/SA and some have trouble transitioning from one type of trigger pull to another. The easiest to shoot is the safe action and the SA. If the hammer is required to be lowered in order to safe the gun the safest way is with a decocker. These are my opinions, others may have opinions that differ, I hope this helps.

daybro
June 28, 2002, 06:56 PM
The CZ75B (in 9mm or .40) can be carried and comes out of your holster either way. When the hammer is cocked, just push up the safety and you're "cocked and locked" ... single action. Lower the hammer (carefully ... there is no decocker) and now your first shot is double action and following shots single action.

The gun is super accurate, very well made (fit/finish), great trigger, and can easily be purchased for under $400.

I just got mine and have ordered a Galco Combat Master holster for it. Once had, I'll been trying the CZ out at my local IDPA haunt.

yukon999
June 28, 2002, 10:13 PM
OK I own a cz-70 right now which was just a cheap gun to get me started and to see if shooting was something I was really going to get into. I was looking at a couple of guns at the gunshop today and was looking at an EAA Whitness compact 9mm and a cz-40 both were very nice guns and both felt good in my hand, neither of them come with decockers. I really like the decocker on my cz-70, it just seems a lot safer to me then trying to drop the hammer manually. I guess that is more my question. I think I was a little unclear. I know what I am trying to ask but due to my lack of knowledge I am having a hard time putting it into words lol sorry guys, but thanx for the information it did help a lot.

Yukon

Handy
June 28, 2002, 10:46 PM
A decocker is definitely a safer way of lowering the hammer.

My personal opinion for a first time buyer is to go with a DA/SA design with a decock only lever (rather than a decock/safety lever, like on your CZ-70). I like this system for a number of reasons:

1. The DA trigger is a very safe way of carrying a loaded auto. It is about the only way I'd consider carrying a weapon without a holster. The weapon is relatively inert, yet requires no special manipulation to fire it.

2. While the first shot is DA, most shooting is SA, which is generally more pleasant and accurate to shoot with. There is nothing worse than a pistol you don't enjoy practicing with, which most find true of the typical DAOnly.

3. Lack of a manual safety gives you less options, so when you have to shoot defensively you're not asking yourself if the safety is on, is it cocked or not. The weapon will always fire if you put a round in it.

4. It's a good transition from what you have now or the skills a revolver shooter would have.

The usual critique of DA/SA is the somewhat less accurate first shot and the surprising easy second shot due to the trigger transition. This is a good point with Police and military offensive shooting, but a non-issue with civilian defense shootings and the legally mandated short ranges they involve. I think the DA trigger gives you a safety advantage if there's struggle or you drop you gun and have to snag it.

Look to Sig for some of the best of this type. Ruger also makes some inexpensive DC (decocker only) models along these lines. Also try HK USP, Walther P5 and P99, Beretta 92 G and Taurus 92 models for quality and configuration. All are very accurate and solid.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat. All systems have their advantages and adherents. I think DA/SA demands the least of a developing shooters skills while always offering a weapon ready to fire. It is also the most widely used system in police and military worldwide who've proven it's effectiveness and safety.