bobo
January 25, 1999, 04:28 PM
What is the best scope for putting on the
following rifles.

Colt AR-15 s2- normal length
Colt commando 11" barel?

Kodiac
January 25, 1999, 06:45 PM
Trijicon's ACOG is just plain awesome...
But the Aim Point is great too, and you can get a 4X power add on, that makes is a real "Scope" in stead of a gunsite.

On your Trench Gun, I'ld go with a Bushnel HoloSight.

On your regular AR you want a compact scope.
Most pistol scopes can work just fine... if you dont like to choke up on your firing posture.Compacts look better on the AR.
Long "sniper" scopes only look/feel right if you got a flat top model gun.

Best ____? Well, what do you want to do with it?

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
"Sir Heckler"

[This message has been edited by Kodiac (edited 01-25-99).]

4V50 Gary
January 25, 1999, 07:21 PM
Red Dot. One doesn't need a high magnification scope unless they're shooting varmints and with a 11.5 barrel, I don't think that's practical.

Rob Pincus
January 25, 1999, 08:56 PM
Bobo,

Rather than be repeatative, I'll refer you to the "search" feature here at TFL. Run a search on "holosite" and you'll notice my review and preferred set-up.

If you have any questions, let me know.

------------------
-Essayons

Jeff White
January 30, 1999, 11:42 AM
Bobo,
Another option you might consider for your 11.5" barrel is the Trijicon ACOG Reflex. A red dot type that is tritium illuminated (no batteries) and very rugged.
Jeff

Kurt
January 30, 1999, 02:10 PM
Take a look at U.S. Optics web-page -- very, very, expensive scopes and "special ops" sighting stuff.

Their lighted SN-4 has amazing clarity and is available with a screw-on magnification doubler that provides 8x. It was designed for the M-16 and sells to "elite" folks. It is a little bulky; but built to survive a nuclear blast.

Also, don't overlook "plain 'ol scopes." I mounted a Burris 3x-9x 32mm "Compact" on an AR with a 20" barrel. It works very nicely.

The little Burris has excellent optics and is an attractive matte black that looks "right" on the gun. It is built like a little tank, and costs half the price of a "tactical" scope!

With all that said -- I'm don't think I would put any kind of scope on an AR with an 11" barrel!

Good luck,

Kurt

[This message has been edited by Kurt (edited 01-30-99).]

[This message has been edited by Kurt (edited 01-30-99).]

Virgil Cain
February 9, 1999, 08:51 PM
Might I suggest something more economical. I have 2 AR15s One has a Tasco Pro point 2 and the other has a Pro Point 5. BOth have removable mounts they work great I haven't had a moments trouble with either one. Both less than 325.00.

Hang'n Low
Swing'n slow
Virg

Mikey
February 9, 1999, 10:24 PM
How about even more economical...

I just put a Colt (by C-More) 4x21 with built in mount (for AR handle) and bullet drop compensator on my new MT6700. Solid scope, built right, easy to zero and the BDC works! (at least out to 300 yards) - it was $199 brand new!