PDA

View Full Version : Breakin in a new barrell

danl
February 4, 1999, 07:28 AM
I've been told by a gunsmith to give 100 strokes with a new brass brush to my new barrell.( Should this be done with or without lubrication ?) Then to clean the bore 5 times before shooting. After that to clean after each of the first five shots, then to clean the bore after each set of three shots for five times. Any comments on this, or further instruction, would be helpful. Thanks.
danl

Grayfox
February 5, 1999, 12:25 AM
I've never accually broken in a barrel by any special process. I just give a new gun a good cleaning and start shooting. I have yet to run into any problems with this method.

Jeff Thomas
February 5, 1999, 01:28 AM
Danl, you'll be getting some experienced answers here from other members - I have too high a ratio of 'book larnin' to experience. ;) From what I understand, it depends upon the weapon. For example, note this advice re: the chrome-lined AR-15 barrels from Bushmaster - http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog/barrels-accuracy.html :

"Q. What is the proper "break-in" procedure for a chrome lined AR barrel?
A. After firing a couple hundred rounds, the chrome lining will "polish out" from its light, flat gray, factory-new look to a brightly reflective, polished appearance. During this break-in period, excessive cleaning with solvent or brush should be avoided as that will only prolong the time (and number of rounds) it takes to achieve the final "bullet polishing" of the barrel."

Ironically, this is 180 degrees from the gunsmith's advice you received. Does the chrome lining account for this difference? I don't know, but it seems unlikely.

If it was me, I'd also call the manufacturer, request an owner's manual, and ask their advice as well. [If it's a custom barrel, I suppose you could call the manufacturer of the barrel.] In my experience, most of the factory reps are good, helpful people. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited 02-05-99).]

Ray VanderLinden
February 5, 1999, 01:57 AM
Danl,
I'm with Grayfox on this one. IMHO the weapon may shoot a little better after that breakin, but you can do the same thing with about 150 rounds and a good cleaning after every shooting sesion. And the Plus is you get what most rifles need to really bring out the best.........a practiced Shooter.

danl
February 5, 1999, 07:15 AM
The rifle is a Blaser in 7mm mag if that makes a difference in the routine.

Ray VanderLinden
February 5, 1999, 11:49 PM
Danl,
Yes it makes one differance to me. Buy a Pad for your shoulder. 150 rounds might be a little intense if you don't.

Walt Welch
February 7, 1999, 04:55 PM
danL; this is one of the hoariest chestnuts around. Almost, but not quite, like the mechanics in my dad's time who played practical jokes on apprentices, sending them around for 'dowling oil', or a 'left handed monkey wrench.'

A phosphor bronze (that is what they are, not brass) brush is MUCH softer than bbl. steel, so will have no effect on the bore. That, in fact, is why they make them of bronze. In fact, the solvent does most of the cleaning. I even use nylon bore brushes.

There ARE ways to smooth the bore of a pistol or rifle. The old way was to cast a lead slug in the bore, with a rod inside the slug, then applying a fine abrasive to the lead slug, with oil, and running it back and forth in the bbl. This is rarely done anymore, because few people think it does any real good, and it is labor intensive.

There was a craze a few years ago called 'fire lapping' this involved applying oil and abrasive to a bullet and firing it through the bore, repeating as needed. The lack of anyone advocating that within recent memory speaks to the effectiveness.

There is some new method out there, which I barely recall, I think it involves EDM (Electric Discharge Machining), but could be wrong. Since rifling done by EDM has, in some types of firearms, been shown to be less accurate, and it is an expensive process, this method will probably go the way of the other two.

Frankly, unless you are a fanatical precision shooter, just go ahead and shoot the gun. The bbl. will be just fine.

Walt

danl
February 8, 1999, 07:10 AM
Thanks Walt,
The gunsmith did say that this process was to mostly remove small fragments of metal that was left in from the manufacturing of the barrell

Ankeny
February 9, 1999, 08:33 PM
I have had several match grade rifles built with tubes from makers such as Shilen, Krieger, Douglas and Lilja. Each of these makers has instructions for proper break in, and they are very similar. Lilja break-in instructions are as follows:

For an effective break-in the barrel should be cleaned after every shot for the first 10-12 rounds or until copper fouling stops. Our procedure is to push a cotton patch that is wet with solvent through the barrel. This will remove much of the powder fouling and wet the inside of the barrel with solvent. Next, wet a bronze brush with solvent and stroke the barrel 5-10 times. Follow this by another wet patch and then one dry patch. Now soak the barrel with a strong copper removing solvent until all of the blue mess is removed from the barrel. The copper fouling will be heavy for a few rounds and then taper off quickly in just one or two shots. Once it has stopped or diminished significantly it is time to start shooting 5 shot groups, cleaning after each one. After 25-30 rounds clean at a normal interval of 10-25 rounds. Your barrel is now broken-in.

I break in all new barrels this way. The problem is that copper fouling occurs the most with the first few shots and you want to remove it completely to prevent a build up that could be very difficult to remove later on. The break-in procedure is really intended to ensure you have a rifle that is easy to keep clean, thereby achieving the best accuracy.

This type of break-in might seem a bit extreme for the average shooter and the other guys are probably right when they tell you to just go shoot your rifle and then keep it clean. However, I like rifles to shoot way under a minute of angle so I do go to the extreme. I am thinking of trying acupuncture on my trigger finger next.