PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried ARS barrels for their Mini?

Remmy
June 23, 2002, 11:03 PM
Just ran across an add for Accuracy Rifle Systems replacement barrels for mini 14's and 30's, and was wondering if anyone has tried them out. They claim MOA groups... been in business for 17 years, but this is my first time hearing of them. They use a Lothar Walther German made barrel on the mini, and sell them for ~250 uninstalled w/out warranty and ~430 installed.

Horrible accuracy was the reason i sold that gun... the prices arent that great, if i wanted an accurate semi for 800 'ish, i would have gotten an AR. This just makes the mini market more interesting...

You can get your complete MOA Mini 14 for about $1000! :D

http://mini-14.net/

Jamie Young
June 23, 2002, 11:09 PM
From My understanding of the Mini 14, the heavier barrel only buys you more time with the barrel heating up. I've heard of 1.5MOA with heavier barrels but nobody has told me how long that holds up.

Jim Watson
June 24, 2002, 08:37 AM
I have an ARS Mini 14 with heavy barrel and trigger job. I did not have it glass bedded It will shoot about 1.1 MOA with good ammo.
When I had mine rebarreled they were using Olympic blanks. I would expect the Lothar Walther they are using now to do even better.

Art Eatman
June 24, 2002, 08:43 AM
Jim, if you had it to do over, would you consider an "ARS-ized" Mini to be cost effective?

I've always been happy with a "tin can and coyote" gun of two MOA, but I'm not sure I'd want to spend a bunch more money on it...

Just curious,

Art

Duke of Lawnchair
June 24, 2002, 02:30 PM
I've handled and seen the results of an ARS'd mini14 ranch rifle @ the local range about a year and a half ago. The worksmanship looked to be pretty good. With the owner's handloads, he was able to produce ~1.5" groups of five @ 100 yds. Bench rested on a nice calm sunny day.

After speaking with the owner, he couldn't help but be ecstatic of his tricked out mini14. It was his first time out with the ARS'd gun, and to tell you the truth I was actually impressed by its performance. It's no serious tack-driver but if it brings a smile across the owner's face, then that's good enough reason to have ARS and other 'smiths work on it.

As far as "cost effective", I'm not too sure about that. You could build up or pick-up an AR15 that'll perform to the same standards if not better. However, some people just DO NOT want an AR15 or substitute for a bolt-gun.

Whatever floats your boat, and don't let anyone knock you for it!

Would I have ARS work on my personal mini14? Sure, if I had the money, but at the moment I'm not independently wealthy. :(

Jim

Andrew Wyatt
June 24, 2002, 03:47 PM
it certainly makes sense if you already have a mini-14, though.

I've been considering getting an ARS barrel put on my mini, and putting an acog(one that i have left over since i had to get rid of my AR) on it.

Jamie Young
June 24, 2002, 03:55 PM
Whatever floats your boat, and don't let anyone knock you for it! That should be a motto for this Rifle Forum.

If I could find a Mini 14 for under $350 I'd go threw the whole ARS barrel thing.