PDA

View Full Version : NAA Guardian .380 vs. Guardian .32?

MikeJ
June 21, 2002, 01:18 AM
I currently own the .32 Guardian and plan on keeping it. It has been reliable and I appreciate the quality and workmanship of it. My question is, I have been looking at the .380 variant and am wondering if I would gain that much more in stopping power and if it has enough advantages over the .32 to warrant getting it. I am well aware that the .380 is a superior round to the .32 especially when you compare a .32 fired from a 2" barrel vs. a .380 fired from a 4" barrel. But in guns with relatively the same size barrels I wonder if it would really make that much difference. From what I have read a good .32 should be at about 60% one shot stops and a .380 in the high 60's. I welcome all opinions and would especially appreciate hearing from those of you that own the .380 Guardian as to its reliability. My .32 has been great so I don't want to go to something that is not at least as reliable. Thanks in advance for everyones input, Mike

johnwill
June 21, 2002, 07:59 AM
Well, I recently got to shoot the NAA .380, and I'll have to say, I'll shoot the NAA .32 five times to one shot in the .380. The .32 starts to make my hand sting after around 50 rounds, it gets me right in the web of my thumb. The .380 managed that after one magazine! OTOH, I can shoot my lighter Colt Mustang all day without any discomfort, so I'm passing on the NAA .380.

DanP
June 21, 2002, 08:30 AM
I'll disagree with John's conclusion here... personally I could care less that it is not comfortable to shoot 50 rounds at a time in what is obviously a defense weapon.

I was tempted by the .32 and handled it side by side to the .380 trying to decide... the .32 being lighter and smaller.

Opted for the .380

Don't know the ballistics involved, but:

* Lighter, smaller gun kicks LESS with a .32
* Same design gun, heavier, bigger kicks MORE with a .380...

My uneducated conclusion would then be that the .380 round has quite a bit more energy than the .32, no?

But either gun feels very well made, I'm very happy with mine.

Mal H
June 21, 2002, 09:16 AM
Ditto, DanP.

Unlike many other guns, I don't plan on shooting my NAA .380 all day long so the added kick doesn't bother me. But the added umph to the bullet? Me like, me like!

However, I do understand what johnwill is saying about it being a harsh little gun. Another experienced shooter has shot mine and said similar things and it was after shooting lots of .41 Mag so I know the shooter wasn't afraid of it or holding it loosely. It really doesn't bother me or bite me at all. I also know johnwill has had considerable experience shooting all kinds of bangers so I know it isn't a fear of recoil. It may be a hand size or structure thing, I dunno.

Sundance
June 21, 2002, 01:14 PM
My thing with the Guardian is that the majority of what it has going for it is its compact size. Once you start increasing the size, it loses its appeal. I think the NAA32 is awesome because it is absolutely tiny yet packs a handful of a decently potent round. The .380 is just enough bigger that I think I would opt for a mini 9mm like a Kahr MK9 over it. I carry the 32 in my pocket. If I had the 380 it would be on the ankle or the belt. Several will disagree with me, but we all have our opinions. You'll have to decide for yourself if the increased power of the 380 outweighs its increased size. For me it doesn't. I'll stick with the 32.

johnwill
June 21, 2002, 06:05 PM
I guess my basic problem is that even in a gun like the Guardian, I want to regularly shoot it to stay proficient. If it's not fun to shoot, that wears thin in a hurry. Since there are choices that conceal as well for me as the NAA .380, I choose not to own one. I was chomping at the bit to shoot one, just to see what it would be like. Now I have, I feel no need to shell out for one. :)

George Hill
June 21, 2002, 06:17 PM
I see the need.
The only real options for autos that are this small are the Kel-Tec and the Seecamp. There are others... the Astra Cub and the pocket Colt... but those are .25ACPs. I dislike .25. The little berettas are fine if you like them... but I dont. I don't like the Kel-Tec and the Seecamps design was improved upon by the Guardian. The Guardian is totally the way to go. Just have to pick out the Caliber. Of the two, I like the feel of the .380 size better. Fits much better, yet isn't much bigger... It's the way to go.

MikeJ
June 21, 2002, 06:58 PM
Thanks for all the input and I want to add how great I think it is that we can exchange ideas and opinions on forums like this. It used to be that you had to personally know someone who owned a particular firearm or trust what was stated in gun magazines, and I learned a long time ago that advertising dollars go along way in swaying opinions.

I have decided at this time to stay with my Guardian in .32 and forego the .380. Why, you ask? I was at a local gunshop and dropped a NAA .380 into my Uncle Mike's pocket holster while wearing a pair of bermudas and discovered that eventhough it is not that much bigger than the .32 it was just enough bigger to not have the same level of discretion and comfort that I get with the .32. I want a gun that I can always carry regardless of what I am wearing and the .32 does it for me. I also feel that at those times when I need to carry something as small as a Guardian the difference in caliber will hopefully not make a difference. When I can I always carry something bigger. Mike

Catbird
June 21, 2002, 06:58 PM
I think NAA products are very well-made, indeed. I currently have one of their mini-revolvers in .22lr/.22mag and a .32acp Guardian. I would consider one of their .380acp Guardians, except I've heard/read that they (NAA) have not fully debugged these guns; they seem to be prone to FTFs and FTEs. NAA has their own forum--you can read customer comments for yourself. I'm certain that once these problems are worked out, it will be a very nice little pocket pistol.

BTW, I also have a Colt Pony Pocketlite (.380) and it is a sweet little shooter--not any failure, EVER!

johnwill
June 22, 2002, 09:18 AM
George,

NAA .380:
Barrel Length: 2.49"
Height: 3.53"
Overall Length: 4.75"
Width: 0.930"
Weight: 18.72 ozs. unloaded

Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380:
Barrel Length: 2.75"
Height: 3.75"
Overall Length: 5.30"
Width: 0.90"
Weight: 12.50 ozs. unloaded

The little Mustang is a pleasure to shoot, and the size difference isn't a significant factor in concealment, both fit into most pockets easily. I'd be willing to bet that I can also put the rounds on target more easily with the Mustang, it has a nice crisp 5# trigger. My choice was easy, keep the Mustang. :)

DanP
June 22, 2002, 01:33 PM
Those Mustangs sure are appealing...

Matter of fact at the store after putting all the others back the only two left to decide were the NAA .380 and the Mustang...

Opted for the NAA just because I kind of like the idea of DA for a pocket gun, not sure if that makes sense.

But I wouldn;t be surprised if one finds a new home with me one of these days...

Eric Larsen
June 22, 2002, 02:23 PM
You may want to wait before getting a Guardian..they have the new caliber coming out...it sounds worth the wait...32 recoil with more energy than the .380.....Drool
Shoot well

JackC
June 22, 2002, 03:48 PM
I own two and when the hot weather comes, the KT is the way to go. It is the smallest/lightest gun that still affords SOME self-defense and it's not too hot to shoot practice rounds. I'm an average shot but I can make soda cans "dance" at 50 feet with this thing - amazing. I have owned a lot of different pistols but this little sucker just seems to shoot to point of aim effortlessly.

My 2 cents.

jAK-47

rockinglockin
June 23, 2002, 06:34 AM
I own a Guardian .32acp and it goes with me everywhere I go. I keep it in my right front pocket inside a Kramer pocket holster. I carry other guns when I can but my Guardian is as much a part of me as my pocket knife. I couldn't pack the .380 Gardian like I do my .32. Guardians are well made and carry a lifetime warranty.

SouthpawShootr
June 23, 2002, 09:17 AM
The recoil on my .380 Guardian bothers me, so I just shoot is less and more frequently. Rather than bringing it to the range every other trip, I take it every time and just shoot 25 or so rounds each time. The first time I was at the range with it, I shot 100 round through it and my hand was sore for a week. Is this making any difference with me? No, I still carry it everywhere - that's what I bought it for. If I get into a bad situation, I don't think I will really mind the recoil. I would have still bought the .380.

It's been said over and over that the best .32 loads approach .380 performance, but I tend to think that statement is comparing .32 high performance loads with .380 ball ammo. Get some Corbon .380 and you've raised the bar so high the .32 can't compete. As Eric Larsen pointed out, you might look at is the new NAA caliber offerings. One is a .380 case necked down to .32, the other is a .32 case necked down to a .32. I think I might get the .32/.380 version myself. But I'll want a year or so first and see if these cartridges make it.

BTW, I love the Kramer pocket holster. I have one for my Tomcat (and I will soon get one for my Guardian). I wouldn't even consider carrying any gun in a pocket without a holster.

johnwill
June 23, 2002, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't carry one i a pocket without a holster either. :) Just got this one, the first one had to be retired because it finally started coming apart and was a bit mal-formed.

http://www.armscenter.com/johnwill/ModernPistols/Colt%20Mustang%20in%20Pocket%20Holster.jpg

GeorgeH
June 23, 2002, 11:58 AM
I own 3 Seecamps. 1 25ACP and 2 32ACP (1 pre and 1 post CNC machining). I also own a Guardian 32 and a Guardian 380. Both of my Guardians work flawlessly. My 380 was one of the original BETA guns (SN 51).

Since June of 2001, the G380 has been my "always" gun. I carry it in my right rear pocket in a Ron Graham rear pocket holster.

Yes, I carry other firearms, but these pocket guns provide me not only with back-up but serve as my primary carry gun when necessary.

I have never felt disadvantaged with a Seecamp or G380. Yes, felt recoil is different because the twisting sensation grinds your hand pretty well. (I teach a CCW class about 4 times a year. This year a woman wanted to shoot my G380 and didn't like the recoil. For fun I had her shoot a Smith model 29...and she liked it. The recoil that is. Because a large bore handgun generates more arm movement in its felt recoil, then the twisting sensation more common in a pocket gun.

My Seecamps and G32 get lost in my pocket. They are great hideaway/concealed carry guns.

Remember the first rule of a gun fight: Bring a gun. :p