PDA

View Full Version : SKS bayonett?

Daren Thompson
December 14, 1998, 08:00 PM
I havw read on several occasions that it is illgal to attach a batonett on a Norinco SKS. A SKS is not considered an assault rifle. 922r shouls not apply. besides that is for the lug. Why does BATF say no bayonett on Norinco SKS I know that the Russian version is C&R

Rob Pincus
December 14, 1998, 08:14 PM
The Chinese SKS is particularly governed by a set of "laws" that prohibit modification, to include detachable mags, bayonets and folding stocks. If those things had been on your weapon previous to the decree, you would be fine.
I do not believe that this is governed by the standard "assault weapon" guidelines.(ie- number of evil features)

------------------
-Essayons

fal308
December 15, 1998, 10:21 AM
Wasn't the SKS saddled with a no bayonet provision when it was first mass imported? My understanding was that it wasn't supposed to have a bayonet attached when imported. Just that this requirement went largely unnoticed and unenforced.

Daren Thompson
December 15, 1998, 07:00 PM
What "decree" exactly are U refering to. I, on the internett. have found nothing official looking that says it would be illegal or why so. This has been a big courosity to me. I have seen were Russain SKS are exempt under C&R, but exempt from what? I have seen many Norinco SKS in gun stores lately with bayonet. Every time I ask if it is legal I get the run around. were would I go to find out for sure?
Later
Daren

Rob Pincus
December 15, 1998, 10:41 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.recguns.com/IIH2.html

fal308
December 16, 1998, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the clarification Rob. I forgot to mention the Russian-Chinese part.

Daren Thompson
December 16, 1998, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the info

4V50 Gary
December 17, 1998, 12:53 AM
fal308,

I believe the first non-trophy SKS imported into this country were by Clayco. They did not feature a bayonet.

Gary

Jeff Thomas
December 21, 1998, 10:01 PM
I'm sure glad BATF and our Congressional friends are keeping us safe from bayonets. I know it has been a real problem in our area. ;)