PDA

View Full Version : Kimber vs Para Ord comments...?

jdhermit
June 14, 2002, 11:52 AM
I'm leaning towards selling my HK USP9c and getting a 1911. (4" Commander size)
I like Kimber, but it get's pricey when you move from aluminum frame to SS.
Para Ord looks nice. I won't get to gun store till the weekend, so...
any opinions on 1) quality 2) LDA trigger

thanks
jdhermit

krept
June 14, 2002, 04:52 PM
If keeping the USPc isn't an option, I'd just like to chime in for the Kimber. I rented a Kimber and had a couple failures to eject in 200 rounds. Pistol was very unclean and a good amount of crud was in the extractor.

I settled on a Para P13 NIB and it had many failures of almost every kind. Ended up trading it in for a USP and have been happy since.

I do know however that good comp guns have been built off of Paras and that many people I spoke with have never had a failure with theirs and the one that has an LDA loves the trigger. I just can't recommend them. Have heard good things about Kimbers too, moreso than Para.

Hopefully the 1911ers can comment more.

hitnthexring
June 14, 2002, 04:59 PM
Trading an HK USP for a Kimber or para??? That's like trading a Toyota for something made by GM. I got rid of a $1,200 Kimber when it wouldn't always work and the new firing pin safety on the new ones causes malfunctions as well as a variation in trigger pull. Why not trade the USP for something just as good like a Glock Mod. 21? Either trade up or trade even, but don't trade down.

jdhermit
June 14, 2002, 05:18 PM
hitnthexring: Thanks for the comments. :confused:
I'm sure there are GM drivers out there who may disagree with you.
Since everyone's got one, here's mine- HK and Glock obviously have the reputation of more reliability. But I've heard good comments on Kimber & Para also, contrary to your opinion.
My HK, I am sure, will hold up well under any circumstances. BUT it doesn't fit my hand well.

Thanks anyways for responding.

jdhermit

bountyh
June 14, 2002, 05:37 PM
I have been shooting a P1640 LDA LTD for about a year. You asked about:

1) LDA trigger. I love it. It's an easy gun to shoot straight. A real tack driver.

2) Quality/finish. Pretty disappointing for a $900 gun (would even disappoint me on a $600 gun). Lot's of scratches and dings. Would jam every third round until I polished the ramp and throat. I had to file about .050" off the rear sight to hit POA with standard factory ammo. Sharp edges EVERYWHERE on the slide and frame.

I really like the gun as a shooter, but think it cost way too much considering the poor finish quality. I get real annoyed when I pay $900 for a fixer-upper.

June 14, 2002, 06:26 PM
I have the Para Ord SS 18-9 LDA LTD. From the moment I tried the trigger I had to have it. Fit and finish are excellent and it hasn't stuttered in nearly a thousand rounds.

Because of my experience with the 18-9, I also picked up their LDA 7-45. It's accurate and reliable. If you like the feel of a 1911 style CCW weapon, it's a great choice.

You really owe it to yourself to try one of the LDAs out.

CWL
June 14, 2002, 07:49 PM
Have a PO P13 with original hi-caps. Mine is one of the good ones that shoots great. Had it hardchromed for ascetic reasons, it shoots even better now with the HC for some reason.
-I have had to replace all the magazine springs with Wolfs, but these are hi-cap mags.

Had more problems with my Kimber than with all of my other guns combined. I think that I got a "monday morning" gun. It's fine now, but I still have my worries with it as a SD pistol.

I have 8-9mm pistols, but have also made the decision to change-over to .45ACP.

adk
June 14, 2002, 08:02 PM
I have an all steel P14 that has never malfunctioned in probably 2500 rounds - everything from reloads to 230 Golden Saber. All five magazines work great. Mine was made in about 1994. adk

nemesis
June 14, 2002, 08:47 PM
I never was a 1911 fan but I was in Kirkpatrick's, in Laredo, and they showed me a Para Ordnance C7.45 LDA Companion and the trigger won my heart.

That sweet, smooth trigger makes it just a dream to shoot and the double action makes it convenient to carry. Of course, there are many who will argue that point.

jack_the_sailor
June 14, 2002, 09:20 PM
I like 1911s. Right now they're to expensive to feed. But if I ever got a 1911 it would be a Colt 91A1. In my area they cost $525. I shot a range 91A1. It was more accurate than my Glock 17. I was hangin at the range 1 day. Talking about the range Colt 91A1. The clerk pulled I out & showed my how the slide moved side to side which is bad. Now this is a range gun that gets beat. It was very accurate. Just think how a NIB Colt 91A1 with a tighter slide shoots. Why pay for an expensive 1911 when a $525 Colt 91A1 will do?

blades67
June 14, 2002, 09:21 PM
If you want an LDA, get one. If you want a 1911, and the choices are Kimber or Para-Ordnance, get a Kimber. If you don't like the firing pin safety on the Kimber II models, just remove it. (The firing pin won't know the difference.)

jdhermit
June 14, 2002, 10:03 PM
I can't afford an STI...
The Kimber is attractive, but to get a SS frame is expensive...
Heard some negatives about QC with Para's...
Dang, doesn't someone make a 1911 that'll match my HK in the "I know it'll go bang every time" category?

jdhermit

blades67
June 14, 2002, 10:08 PM
I have a Charles Daly that goes "bang" every time I press the trigger.

python1340
June 15, 2002, 07:41 AM
The LDA trigger is absolutely outstanding. If you're looking for a carry gun, the Para LDA is awesome. Para's stainless finish is indeed easy to scratch up. A hard plastic thumb snap cover scratched the finish of mine. But in any case, I really love this gun.

If you just want to get a 1911, the Kimber is a higher-quality pistol.

H&K, Glock, Beretta, etc. are quality firearms, but IMO, are just hard to get excited about.

railroader
June 15, 2002, 08:02 AM
Can't comment on the para but my kimber classic is accurate and very reliable. Mark

Shawn3879
June 15, 2002, 03:09 PM
Here I go walking the fence. I believe you couldn't go wrong with either the Kimber or Para. I would check around locally and maybe try some sights such as www.gunbroker.com to find the best deal and which ever one you find the best deal on go with it. Both brands you are considering are great quality pieces.

Personally I love the new LDA's and I have fired a few Kimbers that were wonderful to. Good luck in your search for exactly what you want. Let us know what you get.
:D

12-34hom
June 16, 2002, 03:33 AM
I have a Para P-14ltd. It has served me well, i changed the factory sites to a set of Novack night sites, Houge grip, Wolff +10% mag springs.

Its extremely accurate and reliable.

12-34hom.

M1911
June 16, 2002, 01:45 PM
I've got 3 Kimbers (full size and compact) and one 1 ParaOrd (older P14-45). The P14 gets taken out of the safe and cleaned twice a year, whether it needs it or not. I carry the Kimbers.

The grip on the ParaOrd is not as comfortable for me than the Kimber. The P14 does not have a beavertail safety, and it bites into the web of my hand a bit. The safety is smaller and a bit harder to operate. I often get failures to feed, particularly with only a round or two left in the magazine (yes, I've replaced the springs and followers). Worse, I'd only put a few thousand rounds through the P14 when the hammer started following the slide down. My gunsmith had to replace the hammer and sear.

Perhaps ParaOrdnance QC has improved and Kimber has fallen. I trust my Kimbers, but not my ParaOrdnance.

Keep the USPc and get a Kimber.

M1911

PS. No, the P14 is not for sale -- selling guns is against my religion.

spd522
June 17, 2002, 12:03 AM
I have had very good luck with all of the Para Ordnance pistols I have owned. Not that they haven't had some teething problems here and there. Any gun can choke now and then and all the ones I have ever owned have at one time or another. The only one that hasn't is a Sig P226.

I have heard of a few problems with Para QC and some of the parts not being very durable. I have changed out some parts in mine but not because of wear. I just wanted custom parts.

As for reliability, they are as reliable as my Glocks but not as good as my Sigs.

I like the Kimbers but they cut some corners too. They have some cheap parts installed that tend to break or wear rapidly too. Like adjustable rear sight blades that snap off and hammer and sear edges that round off.

Like the Para, the Kimber's frame and slide are fine. I would rate the Para adjustable sights much better than Kimber, Kimber barrel better than Para, and triggers a toss up.

My Para P14-45 and P14-38 super are what I would grab if TSHTF. I like hicaps in that situation and 21 rds of 45 and 28 of 38 super fit the bill.

Virtuosity
June 17, 2002, 01:03 PM
I can't comment on the para's either since I havent had any experiences with them. However, I LOVE my eclipse target II. Beautiful finish,great trigger, accurate as hell. Straight from the factory the gun worked beautifully and I have never had any failures of ANY kind. If price is a problem then perhaps I would recommend a custom II, or perhaps a springfield?