PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up my new CZ 40 today.

chaim
June 9, 2002, 01:57 AM
I finally got to pick up my new CZ 40 today. I went straight to the range and took it apart and cleaned it on the firing line (didn't want to lose any time) and fired it right after.

Many of you may have noticed that I have developed a bit of a draw towards CZ guns. I have a CZ 75 that is my most accurate gun and, for me, the most accurate gun I've ever shot. I also absolutely loved the the CZ 85 Combat that a buddy bought when I got to shoot it.

Well, I'm not entirely sure on this gun.

It didn't come apart and go back together quite like my 75 and I initially had quite a bit of trouble getting it back together. I finally figured it out and that wasn't such a big deal.

Reliability seems to be fine. I shot 100 rounds of UMC (50 rounds) and Winchester USA (50 rounds), both FMJ, with no problems. Then I tried some Winchester USA HPs. Most were fine though 2 rounds didn't want to feed (they kind of half way fed). I'm not that worried about that since most fed fine, some guns don't like some HPs but do like others, and the gun is still being broken in (150 rounds) and sometimes guns may trip once or twice while breaking in (my 75 did, then after the first 200 rounds or so it went another 2000 with no troubles, including 600+ rounds when I didn't clean it in order to see what it would stand up to). Fit and finish are good, as I expected. The gun seems pretty solid.

The gun felt very good. With the grip angle and the rubber grips it was very comfortable. This is my first .40 and after the first couple rounds to get used to it, I barely noticed that I shot 150 rounds in less than an hour. In fact, it absorbed recoil so well that I may as well have been shooting a 9mm as far as feel.

The trouble is, after my 75 and my buddy's 85 Combat, my expectations may have been too high for accuracy. The gun wasn't inaccurate, it was about equal to my other guns, it just wasn't nearly as accurate as I expected. It could have been because the sights are completely different than the 75 and I was getting used to them, however the first time I shot my buddy's 85 Combat (with different sights than the 75) I shot it better than my 75. More likely it may be that the front dot on the three dot sights was much too small. This would be a perminant problem, however I can always ignore the dots and sight it like my 1911 which has a front ramp with no dots.

I'll have to practice a lot more with it (darn :D ) to see how my accuracy goes. I don't plan to get rid of it any time soon, though unlike my CZ 75 I wouldn't say I'll have it forever (the 75 and one of my revolvers will stay regardless of the circumstances, this may someday in a few years be included in a trade).

Spackler
June 9, 2002, 06:11 AM
Wasn't Colt going to import this gun (CZ 40) and market it under the Colt brand a few years back? I remember reading a review, but then the gun never materialized.

What lead you to buy the CZ 40 rather than a CZ-75B in .40? Just curious.

RWK
June 9, 2002, 06:28 AM
You are right. The CZ-40 is the product of a Colt-CZ joint venture that never was completed.

chaim
June 9, 2002, 08:37 AM
Wasn't Colt going to import this gun (CZ 40) and market it under the Colt brand a few years back?

Yep, it owes its existance to Colt. They knew of CZ quality and instead of expending the capital resources to start a new gun from the ground up they contracted with CZ to build the Z40. The first few CZ 40s came out badged as Colts (about 500 I think) but Colt backed out for some reason. Don't know if they did it because the changed their minds about putting their name on someone else's gun or if they were only consolidating their catalogue (it was around the time they disappeared from the market around here). The gun is basically a 75 with some cosmetic changes (unfortunately one change that was made to be more Coltlike was the sights).

What lead you to buy the CZ 40 rather than a CZ-75B in .40? Just curious
Well, I had heard a lot of good things about the CZ 40 and it was a little different. It has an alloy frame so it is a bit lighter so when I leave Maryland for a CCW state it will make a better carry gun. Also, last but far from least, it is less expensive (though I hear that this is changing soon).

I already thought that i may get the CZ 75 in .40 as well. Well, with how I feel about the 75 and its accuracy for me and how this gun's accuracy was for me I can almost say for sure that I will also pick up a CZ 75 in .40 (maybe my nickel 75 will be in .40).

Eric Larsen
June 9, 2002, 09:16 AM
The Colt/CZ venture fell through because Colt pulled out of it. They were tight on money and didnt get the response from the public like they wanted...thus the end of the Z40...they made 1000 guns give or take a few.
The CZ 40 is basically a 75/85 slide/top end on a newly designed frame. The 75 slide will fit on the 40 but wont meet perfectly enough to work in its place.
As far as accuracy Ive heard that the 40 is up there with the 75's most of the time. They seem to be a little more ammo specific than other guns..but IM experience..some 40's are like that.
Enjoy your gun and give it a little time...I believe it will straighten up and prove itself to you...Shoot well

chaim
June 9, 2002, 09:44 AM
As far as accuracy Ive heard that the 40 is up there with the 75's most of the time.
That is what I've heard. Over on the CZ forum most 40 owners seem to absolutely love theirs.
They seem to be a little more ammo specific than other guns..but IM experience..some 40's are like that.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't the ammo, though I only tried two brands (though a few loadings in one) so I can't be sure.Enjoy your gun and give it a little time...I believe it will straighten up and prove itself to you...
I'm sure too. It isn't bad, it is about equal to my other non-CZ guns, I just expected more after my 75 and my buddy's 85 Combat. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the gun, it was the combination of gun and shooter. The sights on the gun just aren't nearly as good for me as the sights on the 75. The front dot was small and a bit too dark to see well. Even when I was sure I had it lined up right the POA didn't seem to be right on. It seemed to go almost where I wanted it if I aimed about midway on the post (the front dot being a bit above the rear dots). I pretty much just need to find the aimpoint on the sights. The dots were combat accurate, however. All my shots were on paper at 25 feet, they were just spread out all over the target (about a 12" group at first, though it was better as I shot it more and got somewhat used to it).

mbott
June 9, 2002, 10:53 AM
I've noticed that my CZ 40B prefers 155s to 165s over the 180s. This is just opposite ot my CZ 75B in .40 caliber.

There is a forum dedicated to the CZ 40B (plus the other CZ pistols) at www.czforum.com or http://pub69.ezboard.com/bczechpistols82792

--
Mike

chaim
June 9, 2002, 11:50 AM
I've noticed that my CZ 40B prefers 155s to 165s over the 180s. This is just opposite ot my CZ 75B in .40 caliber.

You know, I'll have to give that a try. All the ammo I tried was of the 180 grain variety. If the sights were regulated with 155s or 165s that would probably help. Thanks :D . It may be a while before I get this gun to the range (the ammo is much more than for my 9mm or for .38) but I will try that on my next trip and let you know.

Bob C
June 9, 2002, 01:20 PM
With the couple of fmj versions I've tried, my CZ40 does better with 180 grain bullets than with 165's.

With HP's, it does very well with any of the three I've tried, 150 Sierra, or 180 from either Sierra or W/W.

Cast 175 swc's also do very well.

bullet44
June 9, 2002, 02:26 PM
My cz40 is the most accurate 40 cal I have
fired. I use only 155gr bullets.
Also I have found the 40 cal for "most"
people takes some getting use to, different
recoil.!!!

DCloudy777
June 10, 2002, 08:06 PM
Hey, have you found holsters yet? A friend of mine carries one of these in a cheap nylon rig, and he asked me to find him some real leather. I've had precisely zero luck. Do CZ75 holsters work? Are rigs out there and I just can't find them? Any help appreciated as always.

DanO

Bob C
June 10, 2002, 08:36 PM
The holster for my CZ40 was originally intended for a USP Compact. Fit is OK. There are more options listed at the cz forum located at:

http://pub69.ezboard.com/bczechpistols82792