PDA

View Full Version : Help with choices

JohnRov
June 6, 2002, 01:29 PM
I am buying my first handgun and have narrowed it down to 4 (4 1/2) choices. I would like some opinions on the pro/cons of each, etc. Please no brand bashing, I want info I can use.

1) Sig P226 .40 S&W
2) Beretta 96 (or Brigadier, any opinions on Brig vs. regular?)
3) Glock 22
4) H&K USP full size in .40 S&W

Thanks in advance.

Shake
June 6, 2002, 01:58 PM
Welcome to TFL.com.

Pros:

All should be very reliable (when talking about which one is more reliable, we really would be splitting hairs with these fine fireams).

All should be reasonably accurate.

All are high quality.

All should be durable (I'd give the nod to the H&K and GLOCK for winners in this category - not saying the others aren't).

Cons:

Lets see. . . SIG frames crack, Beretta's slides break and hit the shooter in the face, GLOCKs kb!, and H&K's firing pins break if you dry fire them once. :rolleyes:

Seriously now. . . the only cons with these weapons are personal. Pick the one you feel the most comfortable with and it will be a winner.

Shake

P.S. - My choice? H&K USP hands down. . . :cool:

Czech
June 6, 2002, 02:33 PM
All great choices; however I would add CZ75 to the list, in .40 since that seems to be your choice.

I originally wanted a P226, but was persuaded into the CZ, and no regrets there - it shoots at least as well, but for some reason is half the price. The conversion kit to .22 makes it fun, too.

Anyway, some hard choice there :) Get the CZ or, if you refuse, the SIG.

treeprof
June 6, 2002, 03:23 PM
Have a SIG 226 in 357 SIG/.40. Very accurate (1 5/8" @ 25 yds in 357) and a pussycat to shoot in both calibers. Fits my hand just ever so slightly less well than the ...

Beretta 96G Elite I sold off to buy another CZ. It was a very accurate gun (would shoot abt 2" @ 25 yds with several brands and wts of ammo) but far too big and heavy for carry. I would have no problem recommending it, tho, if carry wasn't a factor.

Have mid-size Glock 32 w/.40 barrel (equivalent to a G23), and you can't beat a Glock for rugged simplicity and reliablity (tho it'd lose handily to the SIG in the swimsuit portion of a handgun beauty contest). Mine don't shoot very accurately with 180 gr bullets, but I've never shot the full size 22. Is abt a 2 1/4" @ 25 yd shooter with 155 and 165 gr bullets.

No experience with HK.

T'were me, I'd go with a SIG 1st, Glock 2nd, Beretta 3rd (again, no experience with an HK).

yorec
June 6, 2002, 10:45 PM
Yep - agreed, all four are very good guns.

So choose which one fits you best and you feel most comfortable with. For me the Beretta is a little big, the Sig and HK are a little pricey, and the Glock is the same thing I already have and carry. Guess I'd probably save up and buy the Sig... Well maybe the HK...

Now you've got me doing it! ;)