PDA

View Full Version : Old Glock 17

Tom B
June 6, 2002, 05:52 AM
A lunchtime tour of the local gunstore again provided me with a purchase of an early second gen G17. Gun appears in VG condition with one factory hi cap mag for $389. It is a serial number KSxxx and is a post pebble grip but has the uncaptured factory rod/spring and a "pull the trigger" Glock box that says on it "Glock 17 gun of the year 1984". It has not had the striker.safety,etc... mods done to it. I have learned thru GT that these mods are not safety but reliability oriented. Can anyone shed more light on these mods and how they improve reliability? Visual inspection has found the only problem is a rough (grooved) barrel feedramp. I worked on that last night with my Dremel. Tomorrow will bring the first range test for the G17. Range report will follow. Any other older G17 (the gun not the owner) owners please provide me with your overall opinions of your Glock. Thanks.

johnwill
June 6, 2002, 07:13 AM
I have a 2nd generation Glock I picked it up in the early 90's. It's never done anything but go bang when asked, and it's pretty accurate too. It's not quite up to my Beretta 92F in accuracy, but I wouldn't bet much on the difference. IMO, it's a keeper. :)

I believe that Glock will do the upgrades to your Glock for free if you call them. I bought a well used Glock 21 with a couple of factory 13 round mags for $300 a few years back, and I sent it off to Glock. They replaced almost all the internal small parts, did the bevel of the ejection port, and refinished the slide, all for free. It looked like a brand new gun, inside and out, when I got it back. Shoots like one too. :D

Jim Watson
June 6, 2002, 07:51 AM
I have a FIRST generation G17 that works just fine, thank you.
Its stock trigger is as smooth and light as most current models with 3.5 lb connectors. They will NOT get it back for "upgrade" unless something breaks.

rick_reno
June 6, 2002, 08:36 AM
How do you tell what generation a glock is? Is there a s/n cutoff where they changed from gen. 1 to 2 to ?

thanks

Tom B
June 6, 2002, 09:20 AM
The frame is the easiest way to tell generations. First gen had pebble grip. Second gen had grenade type checkering but no finger grooves. Third gen had finger grooves and assc rail. There is also a 2.5 gen on some models that had assc rail but no finger groves. Hope this helps.