PDA

View Full Version : 870 safety question,help.

old hawk
October 29, 2000, 01:57 PM
ok heres the dirt,a bud of mine has a righty 870 and he shoots lefty,he keeps losing birds an i sure would like ta help him but now im stumped with his question so i turn to fellow shotgunners here.can a righty saftey be taken out and a lefty saftey installed or does he need a whole new trigger group as im suspecting here? many thanx ,hawk.

PJR
October 29, 2000, 05:56 PM
No need to buy a new trigger group. Here is the text of a message I copied from another site on this very subject:

Knock out the two pins that hold the trigger assembly in the receiver and remove it. Directly above the safety you will see a small (about 3/32") pin running horizontally. Use a punch to push this pin out. WARNING! This pin retains the detent ball and spring for the safety. You will see the vertical hole for them above the pin. Hold your finger over the hole or you'll be looking for the spring. Once the pin is out, remove the spring and detent ball. The safety should now be able to be removed, flipped around, the detent ball and spring replaced and pin re-inserted. Voila!

old hawk
October 29, 2000, 06:59 PM
thanx guy, i tried that on my new pc triggerlocked 870 but it wouldnt go , hopefully itll work on my buds 20 year old 870 with the old style safety

Will Beararms
October 29, 2000, 10:17 PM
Hawk, I have just acquired a PC Express 12 Ga. 3" that is a lefty. They're out there now and it does make a difference to us lefty's.

Onslaught
October 30, 2000, 05:25 PM
Sounds GREAT... can something similar be done on a Winchester Defender to make it a leftie safety?