PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't anyone make double-stack shotgun mags?

Oleg Volk
October 27, 2000, 10:20 AM
A 5-shot double-stack would be pretty compact and likely beed better than the current 2-3 round single-stack abominations...so why not?

jthuang
October 27, 2000, 12:10 PM
Oleg, that's a good question. My only guess is that the rimmed shells don't feed well with double-stack mags?

I know some semi-rimmed cartridges (e.g., .38 Super) are capable of being used in double-stack magazines, as long as you stack them correctly in the mag.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Oleg Volk
October 27, 2000, 12:12 PM
.303 feeds fine from double-column mags. The mag body has grooves for the rims in it.

Dave McC
October 27, 2000, 03:53 PM
Take a look at the mag on any 22 target pistol. Note that it's made so the round on top has its rim forward of the one beneath it. Note also that there's few if any double stack 22 autos out there, and that's the reason. Took me a while to figure this one out.

KilgorII
October 27, 2000, 04:01 PM
Remington 597 is a double stacked .22 It feeds very well, but as mentioned one must be careful not to push a round back too far so that it jumps over the rim of the round below it.

Daniel Watters
October 28, 2000, 12:22 AM
Think of the size of the feed ramp needed to guide a fat 12 gauge shell into the chamber from the either side of the magazine's feed lips. Imagine the size of the receiver needed to accept a double stack 12 gauge magazine. Picture of the sheer girth of a double stacked 12 gauge magazine.

I can see it being a managable task with a smaller hull, but not the 12 gauge.

Benjamin
October 28, 2000, 12:56 AM
Because there is very little market for detachable mag fed shotguns? As they are now required to be neutered for civvies.

pawcatch
October 28, 2000, 01:29 PM
They could make a ten rd. 12 ga. mag for pumps.

smoney
October 29, 2000, 07:21 PM
i have a Guns magazine from 1999 that says Houge is working on designing a 10 round drum magazine for pump shot guns. and make them for mossberg, and rem shotguns, maybe even winchester.

------------------
454Casull when it absolutely Has to be destroyed.

dZ
October 30, 2000, 12:13 PM
here is a good article from .ru space on the single stack Saiga 12 guage shotguns: http://club.guns.ru/eng/saiga12.htm