PDA

View Full Version : Colt Series 70 Commander question.

Jspy
June 2, 2002, 07:25 AM
I spotted a nickel combat commander yesterday in 9mm that has me interested. The slide isn't marked series 70, but the serial # starts with 70####. Am i correct in assuming it is? Also my book says that the satin nickel finish is rather scarce and I was wondering how you can tell factory from aftermarket. The finish has the "aged look" with only a couple of places on the corners where it has rubbed thru. I should add they wanted $425 for it. Good buy or not? It woud seem to me that considering you don't see too many 9mm commanders in this series it should be a decent price.

stans
June 2, 2002, 08:41 AM
I don't think the Commander slides were marked with the series number until the Series 80. The left side should be marked

combat automatic
COLT (rampant colt logo)
commander caliber 9mm

All the 45 commanders I have seen are marked like this, except for the caliber designation. I don't think the 9mm was all that popular and Colt may not have made many. Nickel plated series 70 Commanders are rare.

Sloan441
June 2, 2002, 10:55 AM
Practically, there's no such thing as a Series 70 Commander. They may be marked as such, but they simply didn't recieve any of the Series 70 mods--which is good.

The Commander has been mostly unchanged mechanically since it was introduced until the Series 80 guns.

$425 is a good price for any Commander.

Ala Dan
June 2, 2002, 11:04 AM
I concur with other poster's, damn good price for the
extremely rare finish, as well as caliber. :D :cool:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Jspy
June 2, 2002, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the responses. I felt all along it was a decent deal, but since I have been trying to control some of this recent buying binges I've been on, I put it down and walked away:eek: After attending the Indy 1500 gun show today I was fairly certain I screwed up. I know prices are usually high on most things at the shows, but I seen the exact same model in worse condition for $785. Having said that and doing a little research convinces me that if I go back tomorrow for it, it will be long gone! Oh well, I'll check anyway but if its not available that just frees me up some more money for the Colt Special Combat Govt. model I've been hankering for. :D