PDA

View Full Version : Ouch, pistol grip bites

MichaelJay
May 29, 2002, 01:44 PM
Ouch! I received my Mossberg 500 from CDNN. Came with a pistol grip (cool) yeah, right up until you use it! I picked up Wallyworld 100 packs (Remington and Federal) some Federal Tactical (50 total) and went to the range. Three shots later...I retired from the lane with the sorest wrist, palm and elbow you can imagine.

Looks so cool on TV with blanks. However, in the real world - yuck. So the question is: What is good for a replacement stock? I am your average 6'0" guy at 200 lbs. My SAR-1 (AK-47) with the standard stock is way too short. Should I just order one from Mossberg ($37 on the web site, probably less from a local dealer)?

On the upside, the three shots at 7 yards patterned about 5-6" each. Of course no where near where I thought I was aiming.

Thanks for the information on where to find the cheap ammo. The guy at Wallyworld, said that they usually have some kind of a deal going all the time, check back latter (near fall) and they?ll have some better deals!

Thanks again,
Michael.

biere
May 29, 2002, 02:15 PM
I bought a 590 and it came with a shoulder stock as well as a pistol grip, I have never even mounted that thing.

I like my stock mossberg stock fine. You might consider some of the speed loader type butt stocks that hold shells, though some people worry about them flexing.

I also have a sar 1, and they generally come with a short stock, but there are some furniture kits for americans that have a longer reach and what not. Play on some ak sites for those pieces though, I forget who made them.

I would ask around at some gun shops to see who has what, you might find some used stuff that would work.

Or find someone who wants the pistol grip, and trade em straight up. :) I would feel a bit guilty myself though.

Dave McC
May 29, 2002, 03:48 PM
I coulda told ya, Mike. Msny gun shops have old Mossy stocks around, a beater should run less than $40, maybe way less.

After market stuff will work also, but I hope you know enough now to not consider the Cool Factor...

C.R.Sam
May 29, 2002, 04:49 PM
Tis for good reason that many gun stores have buckets of slightly used shotgun pistol grips for very little money.

And much discussed here.

Sam