PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P97DC Range Report

Ignatius
May 25, 2002, 03:26 AM
Traded for the P97 this week and finally got it to the range.
I didn't bench it to shoot for accuracy but I did put 300 rounds through it to see if it would feed/bang/eject with various brands of ammo (Wolf, UMC, Winchester). Tried some double taps, too.
It went 300 for 300 with great accuracy as long as I did my part.

I have to give it a plus for ease of field stripping and cleaning and, despite what I've read elsewhere, I think it's a good looking gun. It's not difficult for me to conceal, even in warm weather clothes.

The only minor complaint I have: The magazine will rattle if pistol is shaken. It will even rattle sometimes when I walk with it in my holster.

The only other problem is that I did get lectured by another shooter on why Glocks are far superior to Rugers (or any other brand, for that matter) and that I was supporting the "commie gun grabbers" by buying a Ruger. I just smiled, nodded, and played dumb (I know all about Bill's comments in the past and I do own a Glock or two) because anyone who will just wander up to me on the range and begin to slam my equipment and my ethics will probably not listen to reason anyway . . .

Anyway, am very pleased with the P97 . . . it's a keeper. Think I'll bench it this weekend and see if it will make tiny little groups.

denfoote
May 26, 2002, 06:37 AM
I was thinking about the P97 too. I have a P95 and it is built like a tank. It is the only pistol I own that can take a steady diet of Wolf ammo and not cough!! The laquered cases get to it, after a while, but that's just an "it's dirty"problem!! How do you carry the beast??? :confused: My P95 is way to big!! It prints like an SOB!! Of course, in AZ, the only practicle means of cover is a shirt!! We don't wear coats here!! :cool:

asleepinTucson
May 26, 2002, 10:47 PM
Hi Denfoote,

The 97 is a single stack so although slightly longer than the 95 it is slimmer and conceals better in my humble opinion.

I use a pancake slide and is covered well by untucked shirt here in the heat of tucson. It may be my imagination but I think it carries flatter than my glock 27 but probably not flatter than your 36

Of course when too hot I can always resort to the J frame in the pocket.

best regards....

Sleepy

mini14jac
May 27, 2002, 06:37 AM
Congrats!
I got a P95 a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't be more pleased.
Good idea, not arguing with the doofus.

My club has added several pistol ranges.
Most of the time I can find one all to myself.
I've noticed that others will drive on past and look for an empty range too.
I think it is a good idea for safety, and I go there to shoot off my guns, not my mouth. :p

I handled a P97 at the gunshow Saturday.
I don't guess Ruger will be running another rebate any time soon.
:(

gumshoe4
May 27, 2002, 03:16 PM
I have both a 95 and a 97, both decock.

Your experience with your 97 is what I have seen with both of mine. They are wonderful pistols, reliable in the extreme and reasonably accurate.

It's good that you blew that guy off. Arguing with someone like that is like having a battle of wits with an unarmed man. It's a waste of oxygen.

Congratulations on your Ruger. You'll like it a lot.

Bob