PDA

View Full Version : "bolt -on" post ban flash-hider

ballistic gelatin
May 17, 2002, 12:42 PM
Has anyone developed/marketed a post ban flash suppressor that really works? In case TEOTWAWKI ever happened, all the post ban rifle owners could still remain rather stealthy in low light.

How about a "bolt-on" bayonet lug?

4V50 Gary
May 17, 2002, 04:50 PM
Smith Enterprise makes one for flash suppressors. However, in screwing it on, the screws must be tightened evenly and perhaps locktite and staked into place. If one screw backs out and the flash suppressor is offset, the bullet can knock the suppressor off your barrel.

James K
May 17, 2002, 07:33 PM
Sounds good. You want to remain inconspicuous, but then you fix the bayonet and charge. Hmmm.

Putting either on some rifles would be manufacturing an assault rifle. Nasty fine and jail on that one.

Jim

Gewehr98
May 17, 2002, 10:34 PM
Unless, of course, this was purely a hypothetical question being introduced as a message thread.;)

I've heard many times,"It ain't illegal 'till you're caught". Probably explains why a lot of guns outlawed by SB23 in Kalifornia haven't been registered with the DOJ there yet...:rolleyes:

James K
May 18, 2002, 07:44 PM
I never doubted that the question was hypothetical. Of course, the trouble never happens unless you get caught.

Registration always poses a delimma. One side is that it almost always leads eventually to confiscation. On the other hand, I knew a fellow who did not register a 1921 Thompson SMG in the 1968 amnesty, because he was sure "they will take it". They haven't taken any yet, and he can't sell a gun that would now bring $25,000 on the legal market and maybe a couple of hundred on the black market if he didn't get caught.

Jim

zardoz
May 28, 2002, 08:49 AM
NO flash suppresor will make you "stealthy". The AR flash suppressor is designed for the operator of the rifle, so that he is not blinded by muzzle flash. You should be a congressman and make gun laws, your knowledge of "evil features" puts you on par with them!

ballistic gelatin
May 28, 2002, 09:08 AM
You should be a congressman and make gun laws, your knowledge of "evil features" puts you on par with them!Just so you know, I consider that an insult.

popeye
May 28, 2002, 09:27 AM
zardoz was rather harsh, but his info about FH is correct.

jmlv
May 28, 2002, 10:41 AM
a Muzzle Break is not. I defy you to tell the difference just by looks alone<VBG> Current law says if you(the manufacturer) call it a muzzle break thats what it is.:D

ballistic gelatin
May 28, 2002, 11:05 AM
So if I am a machinist, and I make a replica of the Bushmaster Phantom flash suppressor and call it a muzzle brake and pin it onto my post ban rifle, it's legal? I don't think I want to find out...the hard way.

popeye
May 29, 2002, 07:44 AM
As I recall. Postban rifle barrel should not be threaded. Therefore pin is not necessary. You can make a preban, a postban by replacing hider with brake and pinning, (silver solder?) and grinding off bayonet lug.

You can machine whatever you want and call it what you want but ATF will tell you what it "is".

ballistic gelatin
May 29, 2002, 08:10 AM
Could the moderator please just DELETE this entire thread?

cuerno de chivo
May 30, 2002, 08:00 PM
If it's a Mini-14, then it wouldn't be illegal, unless you threaded the bbl for a screw on one. Just like putting a pistol gripped stock on it is still legal. Now on an AR or AK clone, it's illegal.

The home made copy of a flash suppressor would be illegal if it suppressed the flash.

ballistic gelatin
July 9, 2002, 04:51 PM
this is sort of what I was talking about.

Bayonet Lug Adaptor
Attaches to barrel.
Item # D560--(A1) ID .560" $24.95 _
Item # D750--(A2) ID .750" $24.95 _
http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/media/DMBLLUG.JPG

johnwill
July 10, 2002, 08:57 AM
Adding either a flash hider or a bayonet lug to a post-ban rifle that has a detachable magazine and a pistol grip stock is illegal, whether they are "removable" or "fixed", it's really that simple. I don't know why this is a difficult concept to grasp. :rolleyes:

ballistic gelatin
July 10, 2002, 09:03 AM
duh, it's not. I just wanted to know if it was physically possible. Now I know it is.