PDA

View Full Version : Sig 239

PawDaddy
May 17, 2002, 10:59 AM
I have been looking for a new handgun and the Sig 239 caught my eye. I have three or four questions concerning this pistol.

Can anyone tell me about how much one costs? What calibers does it come in? Does it conceal easily? And finally, is it user friendly for a southpaw?

Thanks in advance for any information on this gun.

DanP
May 17, 2002, 11:20 AM
Lots of info at http://www.sigarms.com.

I paid about 600 for a NIB one last year (9mm, night sights), love it, definitely a quality gun IMO.

No safeties to worry about, but the decocker and slide stop are on the left, probably impossible to operate left-handed (not that either lever is crucial).

SouthpawShootr
May 17, 2002, 11:27 AM
I have one in 9mm and will soon get another in .40 or .357 (or maybe a .357 with a factory .40 barrel). Mine has never jammed. I got mine when they first came out for $469. A .40 my dealer has is $499. This dealer usually has very fair prices so I would guess the appropriate price for this gun new is $500-$550. The gun is comfortable to shoot and the controls are classic Sig. This means, unfortunately that it is somewhat difficult for lefties to manipulate the slide stop and hammer drop. The hammer drop is not that bad since you can push it down with your trigger findger. The slide stop is a real bear to manipulate with your trigger finger (but, hey, you shouldn't be using the slide stop to drop the slide anyway, right?). Doesn't much bother me, since I'm ambidextrous. I generally shoot right handed anyway (everything else I do better with my left hand).

MK11
May 17, 2002, 11:46 AM
I've got one in 9mm and am thinking hard about upgrading to .357/.40. Looks a little goofy and doesn't handle quite as nicely as its big brothers (for me anyway), but the reliability and accuracy are pure Sig. Great carry gun, and a lot of people say Hogue grips remedy the handling.

You should be able to find one for under $550

Shawn3879
May 17, 2002, 12:35 PM
I shot a friend's Sig 239 in 9mm. It was ok. I am a big time Sig fan, I have a 228 and a 225 both in 9mm. I didn't like it as well as either the 228 or 225. I didn't find it as comfortable. Nice gun though and it was Sig quality with a good trigger. But if I were you I would pick up a few of the "big-brother" Sigs before I bought the 239. As for price in my area the 239 is around $500 if you shop around a little. You will probably pay a little more for the other Sigs. If you can try to shoot a couple different ones before you buy. Either way though if you buy a Sig you won't be sorry! :p

J.R. Bob Dobbs
May 17, 2002, 12:41 PM
I bought my 239 in 357sig earlier this year, for about $500 at a gunshow. It's well made, fun to shoot, and hasn't had a failure in it's 700 or so rounds. It quickly became my favorite gun for CCW, and so I sold my Kahr.....It conceals just as well IWB.

I'm a lefty, so the slide release is useless (you have to live with this as a lefty with most semi-autos). Instead, I release the slide slingshot style, and moved the mag release to the right side for quick "lefty" mag changes. You can't do that with many other (non-sig) guns!

PawDaddy
May 17, 2002, 01:30 PM
Of the three calibers, is there one that is better suited for a gun this size or does it matter?

SouthpawShootr
May 17, 2002, 01:50 PM
If you want to wring maximum power out of a handgun this size, you are better off with a .357 Sig or a .40. A .40 would split the difference between the .357 and 9mm, recoil wise (although this is an approximation). Ammo for the .357 is about $13-15/box for the practice stuff, while .40 can be had for less than $10 and the 9 mm can get as low as $5 (or less is you buy in bulk).

RH Factor
May 17, 2002, 03:36 PM
I have the 239 in a 40 cal with the Hogue rubber grips. I use it as a CCW weapon regularly and have used it in IPSA. If you want a 9mm get the 225..slightly longer grip. But if it's a good reliable CCW weapon, you'd be hard pressed to find many better with the size of this gun. If you get the 40 cal, you can use those mags for 357. But it will not work the other way. Price should be between $450 and $550..depending on sights. Check out KYIMPORTS.COM...I think I saw a new one on there.

madkiwi
May 17, 2002, 03:57 PM
My fiance has a 239 in .40 s&w, fits her hand quite nicely. I found it a little small, and went with the 229.

I have both barrels (.40 s&w and .357 sig) and prefer to shoot the .357, by a long way. Surprisingly I perceive the recoil to be more manageable, but it does sound louder than the .40. If you look up the ballistics on these they are comparable, but the .357 Sig stays intact and has better penetration than the .40, while the .40 can fragment and cause a larger permanent wound cavity.

The 125g Gold Dots are nice. Ammo is more expensive though. So in order to use up all the .40 I have I shoot it to get my practice in (say 75% of my range time) before switching barrels to the .357.

We bought both Sigs at the same time and negotiated a package deal. Hers was $475, mine was $625.

Madkiwi

PawDaddy
May 17, 2002, 05:33 PM
I've always wanted a gun in .357 sig., so I might go with this caliber if I decide on this gun. I am going to try to find a dealer close to me so that I can handle at least a Sig of some configuration before I buy. My hands are average, probable closer to small than large, so I don't think that I will have a problem with the grip. I would like to hold it before I buy, though.

I've been doing some reading on the .357sig and the writer said that this cartridge recoiled less than the .40S&W. I know that each individual gun would determine that for sure, but is this the rule?

Thanks to all for the help, and if anyone else has anything to add, please do.

PawDaddy
May 17, 2002, 06:03 PM
I just did a dealer find on the net and the closest one is over 100 miles away. I can get my local dealer to order one for me, but I would really like to look at one in person first. I don't remember ever seeing a used one at any of the shops that I have frequented. I guess that if I decide I will have to buy it without looking at it first. I'm sure it my dealer orders it I will have to go ahead and buy it as he is a small operation and doesn't stock much.

Also, I saw on the Sig web site that they just have a one year warranty. Has anyone had any experience with their customer service?

Are there any other guns that are comparable to the Sig that are chambered in .357sig? I really want the Sig, but if I can find something that is close in size and quality I might go with that if I can find a dealer closer to home. Please don't suggest a Glock because I just don't like the way that they feel in my hand. I wished I did because I know that they are very good guns.

Thanks again.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
May 17, 2002, 06:10 PM
I can't think of any other single-stack .357sig. Of course I stand to be corrected! Any double-stack gun will be wider, if concealment is an issue. You can get the Kahr p40/k40 which is a little skinnier than the Sig, but IMHO not as nice.

EOD Guy in VA
May 17, 2002, 08:04 PM
IMHO, best CCW pistol out there.
Conceals even under t-shirts using IWB holster.
I paid $549 a year ago.
If you buy it in .40S&W or .357SIG you can get conversion barrels from SIG for the other caliber.
Bar-sto make a 9mm conversion barrel.
Only you can tell if it's comfortable for you.
Hogue rubber grips or SIG wood grips are cheap additions

SouthpawShootr
May 17, 2002, 09:13 PM
Want to examine a number of different Sigs, but can't find a dealer close-by? Go to a gunshow. You're likely to find a dealer that has a large selection of Sigs and you may find exactly what you want for a better price.

You don't say where you're from, but if you are in VA, there is a gunshow this weekend (18th and 19th) in Mechanicsville (just outside of Richmond) at the Showplace. This thing always draws tons of dealers from all over the state and from surrounding states. Many of the guns I've purchased, I found or at least tried them out at gunshows. New products almost always show up a month or two early at gunshows.

PawDaddy
May 17, 2002, 09:33 PM
I'm about 50 miles south of Montgomery, AL. They have shows there from time to time and I think that there might be one coming up pretty soon. I will try to find out. Thanks!

Is there a web site that lists gun show schedules?

VVG
May 17, 2002, 09:45 PM
I just did a dealer find on the net and the closest one is over 100 miles away. Ask your local shops - many dealers aren't on the list because they have to register with the webmaster - they're not automatically listed.

oops
May 17, 2002, 11:11 PM
PawDaddy,

Also look at the H&K USP Compact in 357sig. Just as narrow as the Sig P239, only .2 inches longer and can be made left handed friendly by having a decocker/safety installed on the right side of the frame. Also the H&K magazine holds 10 rounds instead of 7 in the Sig.

GDB
May 18, 2002, 12:07 AM
Regarding gun shop prices for the Sig 239 (9mm) -

I have seen NIB (standard sights) going from the high $500s to the low $600s in my area.

Just today I had a clean looking used one with two mags, case, lock, and manual (the gun was supposedly factory refurbished) follow me home. After some haggeling it cost $479 tax included.

GDB

KEN CHAVEZ
May 18, 2002, 12:31 AM
I bought my SIG-P239 .40S&W, March 2001 for $530.00 at Galyan's. I later purchased a Sig factory .357Sig barrel and now I have two guns in one. I like my P-239 better then my P-229 .40., they are both top quality guns, I just like the P-239 better.

SouthpawShootr
May 18, 2002, 05:54 PM
Just got back from the Richmond show. Saw several 239s for $500 (nothing over, BTW). Cheapest was $439 in .40 from a dealer I had dealt with a number of times (he said it was a demo gun, but if he told me it was brand spanking new, I would not have been able to catch him in the lie). Other Sigs were all over the place. 228s, 229s, 225s, 220s, even the little .32s and .380s - whatever their model nubmers are).

Robert J McElwain
May 19, 2002, 02:59 PM
Quote: No safeties to worry about, but the decocker and slide stop are on the left, probably impossible to operate left-handed (not that either lever is crucial).]

I've got a 239 and I'm a lefty and I have no problems. I can handle the slide stop with my index finger easily. I haven't gotten around to moving the mag release but I've learned to manage that pretty well also.

Us lefties are a pretty adaptive group.

A great gun. Very accurate. Fun to shoot.

Bob

PawDaddy
May 19, 2002, 10:39 PM
I have been over at the Glock site and asking questions. The reason the I didn't like the Glock grip was because the mag release kinda protruding into my finger when I gripped the gun.

Several left-handed folks responded to my post and assured me that there not much of a possibility of unitentionally depressing the mag release while shooting. Also, some of them said that they have trimmed the edges off the mag release.

So, I might be interested in a Glock after all. I will try to look at and handle them again before I make my final decission.

I have about decided to go with a .40 or 9mm instead of the .357sig. Probably the 9mm. If I do go Glock and 9mm, it will more than likely be the G26.

DanP
May 19, 2002, 10:55 PM
>>I've got a 239 and I'm a lefty and I have no problems. I can handle the slide stop with my index finger easily.

Bob, you are a stronger man than me (which doesn't say much on my behalf sadly :) ).

But I happened to go into a gun cleaning spree tonight, given the heavy rains and all... after doing some heavy cleaning on the revos and 1911, I still had some free time, so pulled the rarely cleaned Sig out of CCW misery...

Took about 10 seconds to field strip, couple of minutes to clean & lube, 5 secs to re-assemble.

Almost feel guilty that my most reliable pistol (by a far margin) is the easiest one to maintain. Oh well. :) :)

AUTiger73
May 20, 2002, 03:43 PM
I've had my SIG P239 - 9mm for about 5 years and have never had a problem. However, having no experience with the DA/SA trigger provided a steep learning curve for me. The first shot from DA mode is still not to my satisfaction (not really a problem with the gun but a user problem). It provides excellent accuracy from the SA mode.

My oldest son has had his SIG P239 - 9mm about 3 years and also experienced no problems. Being left handed, presents no major problem to him. In fact he does quite well with either hand.

My youngest son has had his SIG P239 - 40SW about 1 year and has experienced no problems. Again accuracy is excellent.

It is my opinion that the SIG P239 is one of the best DA/SA automatics available in terms of reliability and accuracy. The usual out-the-door price for a 9mm is slightly under $ 500. The 40 caliber P239 runs more at about $ 550.

The SIG P239 was my first DA/SA pistol and the only one that didn't leave me. My old Series 70 Colt Combat Commander would still be my first choice as I'm better skilled with it. But I got a little nervous about cocked-&-locked mode of carry as my hands are not as steady in my "old age". The SIG P239 is the best compromise I've found to provide a safe mode of carry, and superior reliability and accuracy.