PDA

View Full Version : Home defense setup, need advice

BTR
August 22, 2000, 02:03 PM
I recently moved into a house with my brother, and wish to use my 16 gauge double-barreled shotgun (with birdshot) for defense. My plan is to keep it on the dresser next to my bed, broken open. In the evening, I shall stick in a pair of shells, and remove them when I leave in the morning, as I don't want the gun used against me on returning home. I plan to hide the shells behind a curtain next to the gun. I enjoy shooting it, and shall practice every time I go to the range. I would appreciate any your commentary, suggestions, and advice on this setup, and how to practice (I've just been shooting at a box at 25 yards.)

[This message has been edited by BTR (edited August 22, 2000).]

KilgorII
August 22, 2000, 02:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BTR:
I recently moved into a house with my brother, and wish to use my 16 gauge double-barreled shotgun (with birdshot) for defense. My plan is to keep it on the dresser next to my bed, broken open. In the evening, I shall stick in a pair of shells, and remove them when I leave in the morning, as I don't want the gun used against me on returning home. I plan to hide the shells behind a curtain next to the gun. I enjoy shooting at it, and shall practice every time I go to the range. I would appreciate any your commentary, suggestions, and advice on this setup, and how to practice (I've just been shooting at a box at 25 yards.)[/quote]

I wouldn't shoot at your gun. That would be my first advice. http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net4/128.gif

[This message has been edited by KilgorII (edited August 22, 2000).]

KilgorII
August 22, 2000, 02:15 PM
Not much help am I?

First I would make sure your brother knew where it was and where the shells were. He is trustworthy enough right? If not then why are you living with him?

Birdshot it a good idea.

Keep a flashlight nearby.

Know your target. You don't want to accidently shoot your brother do you?

Know your lanes of fire. I.e. don't shoot through the wall towards your brother's room at night.

Is your room a saferoom? Do you have a position of cover where you can cover the doorway with you shotgun?

Just a few thoughts. I'm sure others will be along with more shortly.

TheBluesMan
August 22, 2000, 02:49 PM
Any kids in the house? Does your brother have people over whom you don't know?

Are you in the city? The country? Suburbia?

All of these things and more could affect your ideal set-up.

------------------
RKBA!
"The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security"
Ohio Constitution, Article I, Section 4
Concealed Carry is illegal in Ohio.
Ohioans for Concealed Carry Website (http://www.ofcc.net)

Dave McC
August 22, 2000, 02:57 PM
Can't tell from here how many folks would have access to the shotgun when you aren't around. Also, leaving it in plain sight isn't so great an idea either.

Lacking better info, how does this sound?

First, buy one of those triggerlocks and put it on whenever you leave the premises. Take it off on arrival. And, set up some kind of hideout for it, maybe under the bed or over the closet door on the inside.

Training is easier,take it out and shoot it.
After a few sessions of clays, skeet, trap or doves, it'll feel much more comfortable in your hands.

BTR
August 22, 2000, 03:37 PM
No, I haven't shot "at" my gun yet, thankfully. :)

We live in a house in medium-sized town. My bro is trustworthy, and I shall soon be conferring with him about the situation, especially regarding visitors to the house. No kids, just us. I have a flashlight next to the gun, but no real locks on my bedroom door, which is right next to my brother's room, though the wall seems solid enough- it is plaster. I'm guessing size 6 and 8 birdshot won't penetrate, but if someone knows differently, please tell me. I've secreted the rest of the shells under the couch in my room. The dresser the gun is on is situated so when I retrieve it, there will be the bed between myself and the door.

I figure if someone breaks in while I'm gone, it won't matter much whether the gun is in plain sight or sitting in my closet, though correct me if I'm wrong. I'm mainly worried with the guy loading it up. Perhaps I should stick the gun under the bed in the daytime? I don't know of a trigger lock that works on a gun with two triggers. Thanks for the advice, this place is great, keep it coming.

[This message has been edited by BTR (edited August 23, 2000).]

Dave McC
August 22, 2000, 04:44 PM
Some trigger locks cover the whole guard, BTR.

And, taking the gun out of plain sight might not deter a burglar, but a casual visitor who knows little about guns won't pick it up and play with it if he/she cannot see it.

8s are the better choice, but they still can make it through one or two layers of drywall, so keep that in mind.

aw93
August 23, 2000, 07:19 AM
I don't know whether you have a bit of spare money around but I can recommend a safe that's bolted to the frame of your house to store your gun when you are away. Perhaps a bit of black powder in there to keep it company :)

That way you can rest easy when you are away from your beloved :D

Glamdring
August 31, 2000, 08:39 AM
You could get a bicycle lock and lock the gun to something fairly solid. If you can fit the giant "U" shaped padlock thru the rigger guard that would be best or a chain or cable lock is better than nothing. Try to get a lock that is nylon or plastic coated to keep from scratching the gun, or you can always wrap the lock with duct or electric tape.

The ammo should be locked also IMO. If your not worried about kids get a GI ammo box and keep the ammo in there. Many of the mail order or other deals on ammo will throw in ammo can for free with a large ammo purchase.