PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Shotgun Model #

RDF
August 18, 2000, 06:44 AM
I look over my grandpaw shotgun, that I will be getting in the future. Having trouble figuring out what it is. It says Springfield
Arms Company,Chicopee Falls USA, pat Apr 20-1915. Haven't found any serial number.Its a hammerless double barrel,12ga.
I need to get some parts but don't now the model #. Any help would be apprecatied.

Steven Mace
August 18, 2000, 08:00 AM
RDF, if your shotgun looks like this:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/upload/976051531.jpg

Then you have a Springfield-Stevens Model 311 SxS shotgun. I would suggest contacting Gun Parts Corporation for replacement parts. You can visit http://www.gunpartscorp.com for more information. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical

fal308
August 18, 2000, 10:08 AM
The Sppringfield mentioned is from the Springfield Arms Co. This was a trade name used on Cresent Fire Arms Co double barrel shotguns until sometime around 1920 or so. The same trade name was used by the J. Stevens Arms Co after 1920.
The Stevens Fire Arms company was a prolific builder of firearms, namely store brand firearms. A company would comtract with Stevens to build a firearm and put their own name on it. Stevens built firearms under several dozen different names though mostly all are variations on only a couple of different models.

Dave McC
August 18, 2000, 03:37 PM
A coupla things...

First, ANY old shotgun should be checked out by a qualified gunsmith BEFORE firing. Some were junk to begin with,some are just tired, and some have twist steel bbls,and shooting them is akin to holding a live grenade and letting the spoon go. Cheap insurance....

Also, shotguns used to use shorter shells than at present, many guns are out there that were chambered for 2 9/16" shells, and using modern longer ammo is bad juju, Kemosabe.Have the smith check that also, if it's not marked on the bbl.

Second, I used something quite similiar, a Ranger made by Stevens, for a project I posted about some time back, called "Building a Lupara". You might want to look it over for some ideas.

And, to some of us, including me, there's something special about using a family gun, one that an ancestor had, or several generations of ancestors.

It doesn't have to be anything special, but a standard firearm that has stood the test of time. Once you make sure the shotgun is safe, go shoot it with proper loads.Enjoy....

RDF
August 20, 2000, 09:03 AM
Steven, mine dosen't have any checkering on it. This gun was purchased sometime's in the 1930's. Its is pretty accurate and has been shot alot but not in the last few years. The stock is cracked and the forearm comes loose.I'm looking to get the parts to fix it.

Thanks all