PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Magazine Availability

Sundance
May 11, 2002, 10:32 PM
I am looking for some new or like new U.S.G.I. AR15/M16 30 round aluminum magazines. I want quality GI mags...not junk. Anybody got a source...don't want to pay an arm and a leg.

I asked this question about M1A/M14 mags and you guys turned me on to Coles Distributing and I couldn't be happier with that advise, but they don't stock AR mags apparently.

You guys turned me on to Delta Force for my P.M.I. mags for my Mini 14.

You guys turned me on to Novak's for my MecGar mags for my Browning HiPower.

I found Colt new mags (some handling marks) at CDNN for $39.99 but they are out of stock.

You guys always come through for me when it comes to finding a source for something. Keep up the good work and help me find some reasonably priced/new or like new condition U.S.G.I. AR15/M16 30 rounders.

Thanks!

C.R.Sam
May 11, 2002, 10:42 PM
It's been a while. But when using the M16 as a tool we had a few failures to feed with 30 rounders. Used 20 rounders back to back with no problems. All MilSpec. Something to consider.

Not applicable if the later ones are more functional.

Sam

El Loco Lobo
May 11, 2002, 11:08 PM
how many do you need? I have a few in the wrapper a few 20's and a few 30's

Sundance
May 12, 2002, 08:55 AM
The price would play a large part in how many a buy. But I am thinking as many as 10. Who is the manufacturer of the ones you have?

KPS
May 12, 2002, 09:24 AM
Your best bet would be to look for them on the For Sale Forums here and at www.ar15.com .You'll probably save money over buying from an actual store.

Steve Smith
May 12, 2002, 10:25 AM
I'm with KPS, go to ar15.com and you'll find someone selling used ones for about $20. Chack the Mag forum as well as the for sale area.

_YoYo_
May 12, 2002, 10:53 AM
Magazines Exchange forum at ar15.com is going to be unbeatable.. you are likely to find new USGI 30s for around 20-25 a piece shipped.. If you could find some refinished parkarized mags with green followers for cheaper I would pick them up...

Over

FireForged
May 12, 2002, 11:27 AM
I have bought mags from several guys over at ar15.com and have been more than pleased. Below are a few other places that I have bought mags.

www.ammoman.com (GREAT PRICES)
www.ammoclip.com
www.cheaperthandirt.com
www.cdnninvestments.com
www.magman.com
www.realammo.com
www.clipsnstuff.com

Redlg155
May 12, 2002, 12:25 PM
Yep..another vote for AR15.com.

Also, check your local pawn shops. You can often find some there and be able to negotiate on the price. I wouldn't pay more than $15-$20 for a Used USGI mag locally.

I bought some that way and ordered some DPMS spring kits with green followers and new floorplates.

Just stay away from USA mags.

Good Shooting
RED

Sundance
May 15, 2002, 01:58 PM
El Loco Lobo...

You never did get back to me...how many do you have...how much do you want for them?

Sundance
May 15, 2002, 01:59 PM
So would $25 each for brand new, Pre-Ban, U.S.G.I. mil-spec, LaBelle brand, black teflon aluminum with green followers be a good deal?

Steve Smith
May 15, 2002, 02:13 PM
Yes, but you can get good used ones for roughly $18 elsewhere. The green follower is a quick way to remove money from your wallet. Don't place any real importance on it.

dZ
May 15, 2002, 02:24 PM
i think R-Guns has Teflon Labelles for $25 NIW

www.cruffler.com has good prices on used AR mags

http://www.cruffler.com/M16Mags.html
VG - EXC 30 Round Magazines: $17.00 each

Sundance
May 15, 2002, 02:44 PM
dZ...

have you or anybody else ever dealt with R-Guns...good to deal with or bad?

Steve...always the voice of dissention...

I have read almost everywhere else info to the effect that the green follower is the greatest thing since sliced bread. What do you know that everybody else doesn't? Seriously, please share! I promise to play nice if you do! :D

SHIVAN
May 15, 2002, 02:48 PM
Gun Accessories.Com (http://www.gunaccessories.com/AR15/AR15magazines.asp)

I have gotten 2 of the Orlite mags and found them to be less apt to ding, dent or break. They feed very reliably. My best friend (fmr. Army Capt.) is afraid they will warp in extreme cold or heat, but I have read otherwise. They also stock USGI Mil Spec stuff. About market price.

Ed

Redlg155
May 15, 2002, 02:57 PM
Orlites and Thermolds are interesting, but if I'm not mistaken, both the Canadians and the Isrealis have gone back to the aluminum USGI issue mags. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

There were also fitting issues with one of the mag types concerning the location of the "lip" around the magazine. They were designed for M16's and gave AR15 users problems. Of course this can be remedied by shaving some of the plastic material off. I forget which one it was, but I believe it was the Orlites.

As for green followers, they are supposed to be anti tip, but to be truthful, I've never had any problems with the regular ones. I think most people buy them for the "neato" factor.

Gezz..why do ya think bass boats have glitter paint?:D

Good Shooting
RED

johnwill
May 15, 2002, 03:02 PM
have you or anybody else ever dealt with R-Guns...good to deal with or bad?
I've bought several items from R-Guns without incident. I stopped buying from them when their owner was in a forum, it was either here or AR15.COM. He was OBNOXIOUS, way over the top. It was some mis-understanding on an order that was being discussed. The way that was handled, and the names he was calling the poor smuck in the thread, surprised a lot of us. I decided that I didn't want to get into such a situation over saving a couple of bucks, and I haven't ordered there since. I'm sure someone else here will remember the incident...

Steve Smith
May 15, 2002, 03:31 PM
I hang with a "different type" of shooter. Granted, most of the time that applies to HP shooters. I know quite a few 3 gun guys as well. The AR gunsmiths I know routinely contribute the green follower solution to a specific problem with Sanchez mags and only a specific run of those, in fact.

The bar on the green follower keeps the rear from diving, not the front. Most AR mags that I've used have, if anything, shown a propensity for the front of the mag to dive slightly if anything, but it doesn't seem to happen when the rifle is firing.

The green follower is cheap, and if it makes you feel better, get them. Don't however, pay $2-3 more than mags without the follower. You can buy them all day for <$1 each.

Match shooters are different than weekend warrior shooters. Match guys usually stick with what its practical. In some circles, the green follower is almost always the sign of a newbie. Just my experiences.

uglygun
May 15, 2002, 03:57 PM
I'll note that I've had to actually replace the followers with my black teflon Labelle/DPMS mags to the greenies due to them not wanting to fully present the rounds(usually last 2 in mag for that "28th round" mag feed failure it is sometimes called) for feeding.

I looked into the magazines very carefully and across 3 guns this was a common problem, not enough spring tension to fully present the rounds on the 28th or 29th round. Very slick coating on those magazines and I'm not all that sure if it helped contribute to the situation or not. But I do know that when I switched to the green followers the problem completely disappeared instantly.

They can be a little tricky to install sometimes until you grasp how to insert them.

Steve Smith
May 15, 2002, 04:21 PM
I have seen the green followers used as a stop gap for weak springs. If the springs are strong, the black ones should work. Theoretically. :D

El Loco Lobo
May 16, 2002, 01:12 AM
sorry for not getting back to you work got in the way of better things. all that I have are the 20 rounders mil spec not with the green followers I have 5 in the wrappers.

Pvt. Joker
May 16, 2002, 06:47 AM
I've got some new Thermolds if you are interested...

-Jared

clown714
May 16, 2002, 06:57 AM
try bradley-military.com
ordered some in january,$8.00 each
good cond.used USGI
clown