PDA

View Full Version : Mini Pics

Tady45
May 10, 2002, 11:01 PM
Wow, Cool Mini 14's. Since this is the Mini thread, have you guys heard about excessive firing pins breaking. Like 2 in two times out? I shoot lots of 5.56 m193 and SS109's etc. Are military surplus primers harder? I bought this used -it looked bran new however- and fired over 1,000 rounds with no problems. Now it's been back to the gunshop twice in 3 weeks?? By the way, how does one post pics in here. Since photo point.com went belly up, I have been at a loss for a new place to store pics.

Larry

Jamie Young
May 11, 2002, 12:23 AM
If you did a search on Mini 14s having anything break, you'll probable find 2 out of 2000 posts have to do with something breaking on a Mini 14. Mine has probable close to 5000rds threw it and nothing has broken yet. Not even the scope!

nascarnhlnra
May 11, 2002, 07:09 AM
Some of the more ammo smart folks probably can answer better but I think some surplus ammo does have harder primers such as the south african PMP some is boxer primed and some is berad primed ( if I spelled that right ) I haven't been shooting surplus through mine yet until I can get more info on this issue.Since it is chambered to accept the 5.56 ammo it should be able to endure it. HELP folks I'm drowning on this one and would really like to know more myself.

Jamie Young
May 11, 2002, 06:55 PM
I think some surplus ammo does have harder primers such as the south african PMP

I'd have to disagree with that. I've seen more SA ammo than any other kind of .223 surplus ammo at the range. I've never seen one of them fail to go off.

Russian surplus stuff works in Russian guns. Now WOLF ammo has hard primers.

nascarnhlnra
May 12, 2002, 06:12 AM
I think the difference Soda is between the normal PMP and the Battlepacks the primers are different in the two. I read a while ago on here about someone concerned about the primers in the battlepacks. Wolf is another mentioned before also.

nascarnhlnra
May 13, 2002, 08:51 AM
Just noticed another post over at the Rugerforum about this topic too. I am very curious to find out what is causing this. I have a mini 14ranch purchased this year don't have many rounds through it yet but have only shot Federal American Eagle 55 grain ammo so far.