PDA

View Full Version : Snap Cap Jammed in Magazine

tyro
July 24, 2000, 03:04 PM
Are snap caps not meant to be cycled through the magazine of a pump shotgun, just like a shot shell? I tried to begin such a process with Traditions brand snap caps. The first snap cap jammed (and remains stuck) in the mouth of the magazine, and so far I have not been able to dislodge it. I'm thinking about pushing a plastic tipped cleaning rod thourgh the other end to push the snap cap backwards out of the magazine mouth; but, since this demonstrates that my nom de plume is still apropos, I will await words of wisdom from those who are generous enough to offer them.

Skorzeny
July 24, 2000, 04:00 PM
I had a similar problem once.

I took the "tube" apart to get it out (but not before poking my eye with the spring).

After this:

1. I only chamber the snap cap in my shotgun (never through the tube).

2. I always wear a goggle when dealing with springs.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Icopy
July 24, 2000, 05:14 PM
Most snap-caps, except for those orange training shells, won't cycle in a shotgun. They are too short. I had the same problem with my 870P. Remove the mag spring and maybe the trigger group to free the stuck "shell" Hope this helps.

tyro
July 24, 2000, 06:16 PM
What is the brand name of "those orange training shells"?

Dave McC
July 24, 2000, 09:53 PM
Go in the other end of the mag,Tyro...
Unscrew the cap, watching out for that spring, and remove all of the parts. Once clear, the snap cap should be removable.

Funny, the Pachmayr caps I have have been through many 870s w/o a glitch.

Icopy
July 25, 2000, 08:25 AM
Tyro --

I don't know the name of those orange training shells. But, I beleive, Brownells sells them. My range has them for all sorts of calibers. They're very cheap. But, keep in mind, these aren't snap caps. They will not cushion the firing pin.

tyro
July 25, 2000, 08:36 AM
Thanks to all. I just got the snap cap out, after completely disassembling the gun.

jthuang
July 25, 2000, 10:34 AM
I have six of those orange training shells -- the brand is Saf-T (at least that's what it says on the back).

It is true that they don't really cushion the firing pin. Unless your shotgun does not have a firing pin spring, I wouldn't worry about it.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

tyro
July 25, 2000, 10:57 AM
Thanks, Justin. Dave: Can you tell me if the Pachmayr caps cushion the firing pin?

Ledbetter
July 25, 2000, 12:07 PM
If it says "Snap cap" it probably does.

Ledbetter

Gorthaur
July 25, 2000, 02:57 PM
I don't have any trouble cycling the "Traditions" snap caps through my 590A1....

------------------
Support the US Olympic Shooting Team! (http://www.usashooting.com)
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms! (http://www.citizensofamerica.org)

jthuang
July 25, 2000, 05:25 PM
I'm not Dave, but I am familiar with the Pachmayr snap caps. The answer is YES, they do cushion the firing pin. The Pachmayr units incorporate a spring-loaded "contact pad".

That said, a buddy of mine returned his Pachmayr snap caps to the store after using them for one day. He said the rims got chewed up very easily. Never had that problem with my cheapo Saf-T orange shells.

Justin

Dave McC
July 26, 2000, 08:02 PM
These have the contact area as Justin said, and I used them for training at the agency, maybe been through varied 870s hundreds of times. Rim's intact, tho there are some rough spots...