PDA

View Full Version : Kahr: K9 Elite or P9?

stmcelroy
April 30, 2002, 08:32 PM
I already own a MK9, and am looking for another Kahr mainly for shooting and some CCW.

I've seen both a K9 Elite 98 for about $400 and a P9 for about $450.

Which should I buy and why?

Thanks,
Steve

braeske
April 30, 2002, 09:31 PM
There are many anecdotal stories about the polymer Kahrs suggesting that Kahr has not got the polymer thing quite right yet (walking trigger pins, warped rails). But the net can amplify these complaints. Nonetheless, I bought a K9 stainless because I spook easy. :-) Love the gun, but can't carry here in Missouri, so weight isn't an issue for me.

spleenandideal
April 30, 2002, 10:23 PM
Definitely the K9...preferably with the elite trigger.

Surprisingly accurate, mild-recoiling, and just plain fun to shoot.

dsk
May 1, 2002, 01:21 AM
My P9 has both a walking trigger pin and warped rails, but it doesn't keep the gun from going bang. It is more for carrying anyway. I could send it off to Kahr, but I don't want to ship a reliable firearm and end up with one they made unreliable in the process. It works, so I'm leaving it alone.

Jhp147
May 1, 2002, 06:25 AM
I am a bit afraid of the plastic ones, myself, but the thing that made the decision for me was the grip. In MY hand, the P series does not feel as good/natural, the gripframe is thin and flat. The more handfilling grip of the K9 won out easily when I was looking at swapping K for P.

harrydog
May 1, 2002, 06:37 AM
It's the K9 Elite for me too. The weight really isn't an issue for CC, at least for me, plus the weight is actually beneficial when it comes to how the gun shoots.

HankB
May 1, 2002, 08:35 AM
Unless you're exceptionally lucky (you keep winning the lottery, you always get good deals, you find money laying around) do NOT get a polymer Kahr.

Search these forums, and you'll find a lot of people have had a lot of different problems with polymer Kahrs.

Texas Tornado
May 1, 2002, 09:05 AM
Forgive a probably stupid question, but what are "rails". Remember, Im new to semi-auto's. (And I have a new P-9) Want to be able to watch for these "warped rails".

Mark King
May 1, 2002, 09:48 AM
Texas,

If you unload and field strip you P9 you will see the formentioned rails on either side of inside of the dust cover.

I recently purchased a used P9 Covert (MK length frame) to keep my early model K9 company.

So far mine is 100%, but I did add a couple of things to make it a bit more user friendly. I first added the Pearce magazine extensions. It allows you to get your pinky on the gun without sacraficing concealment. I also added a Brooks AGrip, now it doesn't shift at all when fired. These two additions made the gun so user friendly, it will probably become my primary warm weather carry gun.

Eric Larsen
May 1, 2002, 02:58 PM
Im am not afraid of any "good gun"...one that has a proven record for proper function and is generally accurate, well made bla bla bla....this is plastic, stainless, blue....has a slide or cylinder.

I am afraid of any guns that have had more than just a mention of problems...the P series guns have that rep. I know 3 people locally, 2 of which are smiths who have had probs. with their P's.

I own a K40...plain stripper blue model with nights and ccw smith work done. The K series are in the first catagory mentioned...good guns. Better with the Elite trigger.....I have only shot one of them...its my next upgrade for my little K.
Shoot well