PDA

View Full Version : tasco supersniper/bushnell elite 3200 tatical/or what...

nismofun
April 30, 2002, 10:22 AM
I have a savage (1)10fp (can't remember which right now) and I'm looking to get a fixed power scope that I can use for hunting/paper. The hunting would most likely be around 150-200 yds max, and the paper as far as the range will be (don't know that yet, as I'm moving to augusta, ga). So I'm looking for any comments reccomendations etc. for a scope that is around 300 or less. SWFA has the SuperSniper for 300, I've seen the Bushnell for 200 in shotgun news, if that matters.

Thanks for the help.
Nismofun

spleenandideal
April 30, 2002, 10:36 PM
...so bear with me. I have the Tasco SS10x42 on a Rem 700VS. Pretty good setup as I'm still getting MOA with handloads and the new glass. I've gotten mixed reviews of the Tasco...some folks swear by them, but others think you get what you pay for. check out the reviews on www.snipercountry.com and www.snipercentral.com/ It's not a Leupold MK, but I think it's a great scope for the money.

No experience with the Bushnell. Most of my 'scopes are Leupolds, but again a bit pricey.

Also check out the Lightforce mil-dot scopes....I've had good experience with one on a .223, and it may prove a better scope for hunting due to the lack of target knobs.

-Yo-
May 1, 2002, 02:02 AM
Weaver Grand Slam 4-14x or 6-20x or Nikon Monarch in same magnifications would be very good choices in your price range.

Mil-dots are useless for target shooting at known distances, and you won't need em to shoot a deer at 150.

I'd probably go with the GS if you plan to do a lot of hunting, otherwise I prefer the Nikon reticle.

JMC
May 1, 2002, 05:56 AM
I recently purchased a Tasco SS10x42M from SWFA for my M1A-NM to have a "M21" of sort. ;)

I don't consider the Tasco a hunting type scope and you certainly don't need the mil-dot reticule for that purpose. It is also on the heavier side and a tad bulkier than a true hunting scope.

I bought the Tasco for my M1A because of the price. It was way below the cost of a Leupold Mk 4 M1. Infact, one can buy two and a half Tascos set up with A.R.M.S. rings as mine is, for the cost of only one Leupold Mk 4 M1 with same rings. I'm only using mine to punch paper out to 400 yds. and it's great for that and looks real good also on the M1A.

I have several Leupold hunting scopes and love every one of them on my hunting rifles. My favorite is the 4.5x14 matte AO in Leupold rings and bases. I have three of these.

I would second the suggestion of looking at the Weaver Grand Slam line of scopes for a hunting rifle setup if the Leupold is on the high side for your needs.

Freedom in theSkies
May 1, 2002, 11:28 PM
I just got my Tasco 16x42 from SWFA the other day. I love it. Excellent value. The service was second to none as well. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

4V50 Gary
May 2, 2002, 10:04 AM
Read at some thread how the Tasco 10x42SSM should not be used in conjunction with Leupold MK IV rings. Purportedly there is compression on the scope tube that results in the side focus knob to lose parallax. The problem has not been reported with the older 10x42SS.

This is not to knock the 10x42SSM. I have one myself but having read that thread, I opted for Leupold QD rings and base.

Gary H
August 20, 2002, 02:23 PM
Freedom in theSkies:

I just got my Tasco 16x42 from SWFA the other day. I love it. Excellent value. The service was second to none as well. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

Now that you have had the scope for a few month, how is it long term? Reliable adjustment and back to zero?

SHIVAN
August 20, 2002, 03:11 PM
Hunt or target shoot? If target shoot, I'd get the Tasco as I have two already and love them both. One is actually a Nikko-Stirling (same thing;) ). Got that one from New Zealand since SWFA is sold out of 10x42's. HOWEVER, the 10x will kill you on any shot shorter than 70yds.

If you will be hunting more, I can't say enough about the NEW Weaver Grand Slam 3-10 that I just put on my R700 .270. I haven't sited it in yet, but the optics are darn near Leupold quality for a couple bucks less. At $299.99 I thought it was better than the $369 Leupold of same spec.

FWIW........(i'd get the Weaver unless you will be on a benchrest 99% of the time).

Ed

HankL
August 20, 2002, 06:43 PM
The Tasco SS that is in stock now at SWFA is 16 power. I think that a 16 power fixed might be a bit much for hunting but what do I know? For target shooting I think that you would be very happy with the Tasco SS. I have two of these in 10 power mounted on AR-15s using Leupold MK 4 rings without a problem.
Maybe I'm lucky in that matter.

SWFA is also advertising a Leupold 6x42 duplex with matt finish for 309.95. FWIW

Art Eatman
August 20, 2002, 08:21 PM
Just to muddy the water, I've had no trouble in holding good groups at 500 yards with 10X. I'm not sure I'd lose anything of note at 9X.

And the Leupold Vari-X II 3X9 is a heckuva good scope. If you find a good used one at a gunshow, it's worth buying. Lifetime warranty, and not just for the original buyer.

:), Art

Gary H
August 20, 2002, 08:39 PM
Art:

The Leupold 3-9x40 with mil dot and target adjustment dials is only about $90 more than the Tasco. Not such a bad option.

Michael
August 20, 2002, 09:21 PM
I bought an SS1042M after reading on the net that they were pretty much useless crap. Kinda thought if the netsperts thought that, they might be a fair deal.

Have it mounted on a rem700 308 in MkIV rings, going on the 4th barrel (32,000+ rounds fired) lost count of the firing solutions dialed into it. Never lost a shot, never failed to return to zero.

It's been dropped, dragged, banged, used intentially for a hammer, beaten on with a heavy object, and has not failed.

MilDots for target shooting? EXTREMELY useful for windage hold offs and fast target aquisition at multiple ranges without dialing elevation corrections.

Just punching paper at 100 yards? still a great index reference for exact shot placement.

Northwest Cajun
August 20, 2002, 09:59 PM
Hi Guys,
I just put a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X40 Mildot on my M1A ( a few minuets ago) It is by far the highest quality scope I own! My first choice was the Tasco super sniper but since the only place I could find them was SWFA and they are out and not sure when / if they will get more in , I got the Bushnell. I think I made a wise choice.
They are sitting in a pair of Millet angle lock rings on a McCann mount, do you guys think the rings will hold up to the stress of an M1A?
Cant wait to get to the range, I'd play hookie from work, but they could get me with AWOL :D

Cajun

spd522
August 21, 2002, 10:22 PM
I would pass on anything Tasco since the company has gone belly up. Any repairs or warranty work is being farmed out to another company that, as of the other day, has a backlog of 3000 or so Tasco scopes to repair or inspect. My FFL has been waiting on repairs to a scope since early June, and they haven't even gotten to it yet.

5pins
August 21, 2002, 10:39 PM
Now that Tasco is out of business I would not pay $300 for any Tasco. If you look around you may find a good deal. However there lifetime repair policy is no good. If it breaks, you have to get a new scope.

Freedom in theSkies
December 4, 2002, 11:45 PM
Now that you have had the scope for a few month, how is it long term? Reliable adjustment and back to zero?

I have absolutely Zero complaints about this rifle-scope. I had it out the other day in -10 weather and shot several different loads. All I did was turn the turrets back to the zero mark and it was there. Totally repeatable.
:)

cratz2
December 5, 2002, 12:00 AM
I've had a Bushnell Elite 10x on my 10fp for a while now and it is still working just great. I've spent about half an hour, on each of several different days, playing with the elevation to see how well it returns to zero and it always returns as well as I can shoot.

I must say, now that I've spent some more time with my Grand Slam 3-10x40, for optical clarity and brightness, the Weaver wins hands down over the comparably priced and powered 3200 10x. No contest. Durability has yet to be proven. For either scope, for that matter. Of course, it doesn't have the cool 'sniper-style' target turrets but I recently sold my extra 3200 to buy another Grand Slam.

But for it's intended purpose and it's intended market, I don't have much of a problem with the 3200 fixed 10x.

M700
December 5, 2002, 10:16 AM
Now that Tasco is out of business I would not pay $300 for any Tasco.

I would pass on anything Tasco since the company has gone belly up.

Tasco has been bought up by Bushnell. Check out http://www.tasco.com and see for yourself. Maybe this will mean an improvement in QC?