PDA

View Full Version : Police Shotguns?

CarbineKid
April 27, 2002, 12:43 PM
Hi guys. Im totally new to the shot gun sceen. Im doing alot of research on them, and yes I have used the search option on TFL:) anyhow it seems alot of people recomend the Remington 870 police, but I can not find any info anywhere on it..including their own website. So are police shotguns now banned, like the evil pre ban AR's? :confused: OR are they just not advertised?
Thanks
Brian
Now that I think about it bretta's 1201 isn't on their web site either...hmmmm

Badger Arms
April 27, 2002, 01:45 PM
Try http://www.remingtonle.com/ for information on Law Enforcement models. While they don't sell directly to the public, most retailers will sell to any qualified individual. Usually, you have to find a retailer who caters to the LE community.

You can also try looking for an LE Trade-In. www.auctionarms.com had one yesterday when I checked. I already bought mine though. It's an older Remington 870 Express gun. The Police model is a parkerized version of their wingmaster that is finished a bit better than the Express IMO.

Dave McC
April 27, 2002, 05:23 PM
I'll get cussed out for saying this, but a hunch of mine is looking more plausible all the time. I think stashing has started.People buying several 870s and sitting on them.That's why they're getting scarce at gun shows and in shops.

I would if I could, planning on getting a beater for parts or backup. I may start with a stripped receiver and build up as I can. Might run across a trap bbl, or a Remchoked one and go on from there.

IMO, now's a good time to pick up a few 870s.With QC at Big Green being questionable, a good older model makes lot of sense. Even a 2 3/4 inch receiver and bbl give lots of uses,wherever you need to take an 870. They aren't going to get cheaper or more common.

And your query regarded police shotguns, In fact, ANY short bbled 870 has awesome potential for protection, food, or fun. The Turkey version with 21" or 23" bbl may be the most overlooked for GP work.

But, you may run across a turnin or beater. Cherish it, it's an ugly duckling.

Badger Arms
April 27, 2002, 11:30 PM
Funny you should mention the Turkey model. I selected it for just this reason. It's great for Skeet, for Home Defense (as seen in the attachment) and for the field if I didn't have an Ithaca for that. I bought a Skeet choke for HD and a Rifled Choke if I ever decide to hunt deer with it. The mid-barrel bead makes for fairly accurate shooting.

Dave McC
April 28, 2002, 05:46 AM
Good Pic, Badger. Good choice also. Is there anyone out there that doesn't think this is a good GP shotgun?

makarov
May 3, 2002, 12:51 AM
Good choice. I have a Wingmaster with 2 barrels. They change in about 15 seconds. 18.5" barrel for HD if needed. 30" barrel for clay pigeons. No mag tube extension. Keep it simple.

I haven't noticed any shortage of used Wingmasters around here. Seems like there are lots of the fixed choke models sitting on shelves. Especially the full choke model like I bought.

Dave McC
May 3, 2002, 04:19 AM
Count your blessings,Mak. Here they're getting scarce.

fix
May 3, 2002, 10:03 AM
I think stashing has started.

As an outspoken advocate of the Winchester 1300, I would never admit to having 2 18" 5 shot 870s stashed...even if I did...which I don't...uhhh...nevermind.;)

Of course, you could have a look at this one...

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=3820363

JIH
May 4, 2002, 08:33 AM
I just don't understand the concept of a "law enforcement only" bolt action rifle or shotgun.

STEVE M
May 4, 2002, 08:42 AM
I don't understand the concept of any weapon being "law enforcement only". I live in the same world around the same people they do.

JIH
May 4, 2002, 09:52 AM
True.

old_yout
May 4, 2002, 10:12 AM
Two of my friendly, local gun stores offer police trade in stuff, particular one police oriented store. I got my 870 for $185 at one of them. Every few months they'll get a few new ones, but I am seeing fewer and fewer of them.